Old School

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Sometimes in the field of C&R it's possible to track the evolution of a particular mark right up to the present day. There aren't a lot of firearms out there that were so perfectly designed from the outset that they've remained substantially unaltered for 6 decades or longer, let alone survived into the present day represented by their original manufacturer.

Off the top of my head I can think of the Colt 1911 and 1873, Walther PPK, Browning HiPower, Ruger MK and Winchester M70 (albeit it can be argued the current production is a facsimile by FNH).

When one looks at the current manufacturer catalogs none has more original model designs with origins dating over 50 years than Smith & Wesson. Of the S&W line, only 3 really hold my interest for very long. The K22 / Mod.17, Registered Magnum / Mod. 27 and the three variants of the J Frame: Chief's Special / Mod. 36, Body Guard/ Mod. 38/49 and the Centennial / Mod.40.

I found this early production Pre-Model 40 Centennial last weekend at the Bossier Gun show. SER# 38xx, it should letter to first year of production, 1952.

A model of this type was my first CCW when I obtained my first permit in Washington State in 1989. I will occasionally carry a P226 or 1911a1 and even carried a Mauser HsC for a short time, but I've always felt more confident with a J Frame wheel gun in my pocket and I've determined for myself no better or more perfect design than the Centennial and its variants.

Current Carry and old school (340pd / Centennial pre-model 40):

Anyone else have represented in their collections an early model C&R and a current production of the same mark by the same manufacturer? Let's see them

Last edited:
    Top Bottom