One Rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Slidell, La.
    If you could only have 1 rifle for everything, what would it be? I am contemplating full-time RVing. Space is limited. I need a rifle for hunting, self defense, zombie apocalypse, ect...
    I am thinking an AR-10. In your opinion, is an AR-15 just too small of a caliber for deer?

Last edited:

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Ar10 in .308 or M1-A. Ar15 isn't too small IMO especially if you shoot 6.8 but the ammo isn't readily available like .223 or .308.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Ar10 in .308 or M1-A. Ar15 isn't too small IMO especially if you shoot 6.8 but the ammo isn't readily available like .223 or .308.

I'm with a ARifleman1982 somewhat but consider the AR15 platforms versatility. You could buy either the 223 (self-defense) or 6.8 (hunting) and then get the other one as a second upper. It really fits into the 'small space-need versatility' wheel house perfectly. I would accept a 223 to hunt deer size game and under w/ a proper hunting bullet. I would go up to elk w/ a 6.8. The AR10 is going to be a bit heavier with longer barrels. Not that the AR10 is bad and I do have one; its just not as versatile.

Last edited:

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Yep it is heavier. Using heavier grain projectiles that will fit in mag for the .223 is a great choice also.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    For me, the caliber would be the 6.5 grendel!

If you read ballistic comparisons on most rifle cartridges, the 6.5G beats them out as a great all-around cartrige.

As for the question what rifle? The ar-15 is going to be the most common rifle cambered in the 6.5G. Maybe that's not the rifle you would chose; they also have bolt guns in 6.5G.

For me, I want a Ruger Mini-30 cambered in 6.5G! If that existed I believe it would be one of the best all-around best 1 rifle to have!

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Only a complete imbecil would choose an AR in such a circumstance especially in 6.5 or 6.8. Where u gonna find ammo during the apocalipse? Go with a good bolt action in 308 or 30/06 if u could have only 1. Very reliable and tuff and ammo is everywhere.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Consider the shotgun for the one-for-all. You may give up range but gain in other areas. The use of a decision matrix may aid you in your decision. I agree with common available calibers for an AR platform.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Although I have an AR, if pressed for only one rifle it would be a lever action. Time tested and proven design in calibers ranging from .22 rimfire up to .45-70.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Just dont limit yourself to one rifle. That is stupid. 2-3 rifles dont take up much more room than one. One in each corner of the closet. Under the matress. There are PLENTY of un-used spaces that you could easily fit them.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    6.8spc with a spare upper in .223... And add a takedown .22 (ar-7, marlin papose, 10/22 td...etc. ). They take up very little space and a .22 is handy around the campsite. Pick up a few boxes of cb caps for it also.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Just dont limit yourself to one rifle. That is stupid. 2-3 rifles dont take up much more room than one. One in each corner of the closet. Under the matress. There are PLENTY of un-used spaces that you could easily fit them.

I am in agreement with this. RVs have tons of storage in areas that may not be easily accessible, but would allow more variety. I would keep a bolt action hunting rifle (.30-06 for example), a 5.56 AR, and possibly a pump 12 gauge in a nice secluded place where they won't be in the way of daily activity. This is considering you intend on keeping a handgun nearby for an emergency.

BUT to keep this thread on topic, I would still go with a 5.56 AR while keeping some .223 hunting ammunition on hand. A decent shot with the right ammo can easily bring down a deer. If you plan on taking down elk, bear, or anything large you may have to consider other options.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My only concern with the AR idea is that if you're traveling some areas are not as gun friendly as LA. That would be the one plus to a lever action. One of the .44 mag or .357's might be a good choice if that's a concern. It gives you deer capability out to at least 75 yards plus increased mag capacity without carrying an evil black assault rifle.

One other option would be a Ruger Scout (or #5 enfield :) ). 10 rounds in a full power .30 caliber cartridge. Reasonably compact. And it still looks like a deer rifle.

whitewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Slidell, La.
    I am more of a wing shooter than a big game hunter. I will make room for 2 shotguns (Browning Citori O/U Whites Upland Special & Berretta 3901A).
    I am torn on the rifle though. Keep going guys!

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Like LACamper said, you'd want to be legal everywhere you travel....A shotgun will let you hunt alot in North America; from small game, birds, deer and humans if needed.

Vas te faire encule Isis. Nous sommes Unis

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Only one rifle?

And if you're planning on defending yourself inside the RV, I'd take a handgun, unless you plan on defending yourself against bear attacks in the bedroom :eek3:

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    steyr scout in .308. 5+1 of .308. Bolt action, Integrated bipod, not too heavy, legal in all 50 states, the scope mount is for long eye relief scopes.

They also hold their value well .

Top Bottom