Open Carry In Louisiana - Resources/FAQs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Which is one of the few reasons I have a CHP. I can just untuck my shirt and enjoy a nice meal then retuck it and OC after I leave the resturant. That and travel out of state to states requiring CHPs for Open Carry.

Which is also one of the only perks that interest me.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    i already posted info straight from LSP, and the law is relatively clear (Any PORTION of a permitted establishment...." That portion which is granted the Class A permit.

Generally, places like Chilies, Outback, etc, have dual permits. the actual bar area is Class A, and the restuarant has I believe B or C for restuarants.

That's what I thought. So a bar of any type is considered Class A as soon as you walk through the door, and a restaurant is only Class A in the bar area, and Class "X" (whatever it may be) in the dining area.

I CC and only sit in the dining area anyway, so I should be ok.

I'm aware but I don't know anyone that can accurately guess what their BAC is.

From what I was told, 1 beer is about as much as you should drink while carrying so I follow that rule. Not only that, the 1 beer I do have is with my meal so my BAC can't be much of anything.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That's what I thought. So a bar of any type is considered Class A as soon as you walk through the door, and a restaurant is only Class A in the bar area, and Class "X" (whatever it may be) in the dining area.

I CC and only sit in the dining area anyway, so I should be ok.

From what I was told, 1 beer is about as much as you should drink while carrying so I follow that rule. Not only that, the 1 beer I do have is with my meal so my BAC can't be much of anything.

10-4 on all accounts.:D

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I've OCed in a couple of places which sell alcohol but you never know when some LEO is going to show up and try to make you a test case.

You would be wrong. If they sell alcohol for consumption of premises, you cannot OC.

If it does not have a Class A permit, you can CC.

CC FTW

You cannot CC in a church.
    You can OC in a church.

OC FTW

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What about the pastor?

Who's private property is it? Wouldn't the owner be able to carry how they want to, or does the fact that is is recognized as a church mean that it is NOT private property?

Definitely Grey.

Now to **** everyone off. LA RS 14:95 makes no exemption for Concealed Carry on private property. Sooooo, it is TECHNICALLY illegal to conceal in your living room without a CHP.

it is highly unlikely someone would ever find themselves in circumstances where they would be charged with that, but it could happen.

i know a statement like that hits a lot of people where it hurts, it certainly does me, but the way the current laws are written, it is true. Now there is a legal presumption that you can carry concealed on your private property, because it has never been challenged. But, the way the law actually reads literally, the LETTER OF THE LAW, you cannot.

it is stupid, and should be changed.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Definitely Grey.

Now to **** everyone off. LA RS 14:95 makes no exemption for Concealed Carry on private property. Sooooo, it is TECHNICALLY illegal to conceal in your living room without a CHP.

I thought that was one of those "constitutionally protected" areas under LA law that couldn't be regulated. Like a car falls under for 14:95.2(C)(5). Isn't the whole "extension of the home" argument what we use to say you can carry in the car without a permit?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Definitely Grey.

it is highly unlikely someone would ever find themselves in circumstances where they would be charged with that, but it could happen.

i know a statement like that hits a lot of people where it hurts, it certainly does me, but the way the current laws are written, it is true. Now there is a legal presumption that you can carry concealed on your private property, because it has never been challenged. But, the way the law actually reads literally, the LETTER OF THE LAW, you cannot.

it is stupid, and should be changed.

I was PMed to reply to this.

Ok, NOLA is right, according to the letter of the law.

What we have to keep in mind, which he alluded to, is the nuances of the law. The nuances, as LSP so frequently attests to, is where the rubber hits the road, so to speak. It doesn't matter as much what the law says as how it is interpreted- by cops, DAs, judges, juries, etc.

In this case, the letter of the law does in fact make no provision for private property. The nuances of the law would indicate that in public, at businesses for example (though they be private property), the law will be enforced, but no one is coming after you in your home.

Nola is also right in that this would be better clarified.

Ray Adams

Ray
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    People that see me without my gun, ask where's your gun? They get used to it. The old saying if it looks like it belongs, it probably does. I have been open carrying for years, in several states, with just minor incidents. I get asked all kinds of questions, I just smile and give a light hearted answer. Like it keeps my balance, or my wife likes the way it looks on me or something like that. It has come in handy, but I have never had to shoot, (and hope I never do). If you appear intimidating without one then you will for sure with one. Just be relaxed and and they will be too (most of the time) you will eventually have an idiot claiming that you scare them, even though they stay there and sometimes talk with you. Go figure that one. The police have always treated me fine and wind up asking questions about the law, if they don't know. I carry 3 permits so they know I'm not a nut case. Most of the time they don't even ask to see them, sometimes I have offered, and they said no. I know this it is too hot here to cc a 45 colt gold cup. Usually it's too hard to get to quickly as well. It is like putting on my boots, I feel strange without it. Sorry I'm so long winded, i'll shut up now.

Take care,
    Ray Adams

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    LC: I have one issue with the site. Under discussion boards you list BS with the caveat ...(Some members there are vehemently and rudely against open carry, but others are not). The same could be said at Open Carry in connection with OC as far as the rude and vehement. Should that comment be there?
    That said, thank you for the time and resource you exhausted to provide a weatlth of information. I sincerely appreciate it.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I am not a proponent of OCDO, I am a proponent of BSC.

However, the petty bickering and ******** around here when it comes to OC is rediculous, and if I am going to endorse this site and display a banner to it on every page, I am going to mention that I do not agree with certain members' whiny bitchedness. That's how that one goes.

Ray Adams

Ray
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    This forum has great advice, and good people. Just remember, be aware of your surroundings and the laws. Failure to do so can cost you dearly. Also, remember you can't take the bullet back once it has left the barrel. As far as open carry, I wouldn't advise it unless you have complete confidence and do it for the right reason. I wish there was no reason to carry at all, but until that day comes, well I guess we have no choice. I know one thing, I would use mine to protect someone else quicker than myself. People that see me without my gun, ask where's your gun? They get used to it. The old saying if it looks like it belongs, it probably does. I have been open carrying for years, in several states, with just minor incidents. I get asked all kinds of questions, I just smile and give a light hearted answer. Like it keeps my balance, or my wife likes the way it looks on me or something like that. It has come in handy, but I have never had to shoot, (and hope I never do). If you appear intimidating without one, then you will for sure with one. Just be relaxed and they will be too (most of the time) you will eventually have an idiot claiming that you scare them, even though they stay there and sometimes talk with you. Go figure that one. The police have always treated me fine and wind up asking questions about the law, if they don't know. I carry 3 permits so they know I'm not a nut case. Most of the time they don't even ask to see them, sometimes I have offered, and they said no. I know this, it is too hot here to cc a 45 colt gold cup. Usually it's too hard to get to quickly as well. It is like putting on my boots, I feel strange without it. Sorry I'm so long winded, I’ll shut up now.

Take care,
    Ray Adams
    www.opencarryguns.com

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I was PMed to reply to this.

Ok, NOLA is right, according to the letter of the law.

What we have to keep in mind, which he alluded to, is the nuances of the law. The nuances, as LSP so frequently attests to, is where the rubber hits the road, so to speak. It doesn't matter as much what the law says as how it is interpreted- by cops, DAs, judges, juries, etc.

In this case, the letter of the law does in fact make no provision for private property. The nuances of the law would indicate that in public, at businesses for example (though they be private property), the law will be enforced, but no one is coming after you in your home.

Nola is also right in that this would be better clarified.

Beautifully articulated.

i use it as an example in my class of how the Letter of the law, intent of the law, and interpretation of the law,almost always differ.

40caloldtimer

I can hit the orange.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    Burnside, LA
    I do not drink and therefore do not go to bars and as my understanding in, 25 years in the criminal justice field, when you go into say Applebee's and go only to the restaurant part you are not breaking any laws besides not too many people are going to be frisked unless they look like they need to be!

Woods

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    In CCW Class we were told that only establishments with a Class A liquor license are prohibited... which includes just bars, but not resturaunts that might have a bar in them.

The general guideline given was that if people can smoke in there, don't bring a gun.

I see the cited regulation does not specifically say that... so I'm a little confused.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I do not drink and therefore do not go to bars ...

I don't drink either but that doesn't mean I don't have reason to go into a bar. I enjoy throwing darts. I enjoy going out with my friends and socializing. Sometimes that means going going out to a bar where we may throw darts, play some pool or listen to a band. At no time, during any of these activities would I be drinking an alcoholic beverage. Cokes, yes. Beer, no. I'm not drining or getting drunk any more than if I was sitting in Burger King. Yet I'm not allowed to have the means to defend myself in the bar or in the parking lot on the way to my car? SCREW THAT. The law is wrong in that regard and I choose to ignore it. I will Conceal Carry when I am in a bar and certainly in an Applebees, Hooters, Chillies or similar place. Better to be judged by 12.....

Top Bottom