Open Carry Law- Louisiana- Please tell me why

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    I have contacted State and Local Police Departments with a question about legally carrying an 'open carry weapon' into businesses or non government places that allow. They all say it is legal here in the state of Louisiana.

My question is how?

You mean to tell me that people complete conceal carry classes and pay a certain charge for the training of the safety and proper uses of a weapon, but any Tom, Dick or Harry with NO TRAINING can put a gun into a holster and wear it for the world to see and can walk into a facility? HOW is that smart and legal?

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    I have contacted State and Local Police Departments with a question about legally carrying an 'open carry weapon' into businesses or non government places that allow. They all say it is legal here in the state of Louisiana.

My question is how?

You mean to tell me that people complete conceal carry classes and pay a certain charge for the training of the safety and proper uses of a weapon, but any Tom, Dick or Harry with NO TRAINING can put a gun into a holster and wear it for the world to see and can walk into a facility? HOW is that smart and legal?

Good point.
    They should get rid of the permits
    and allow Constitutional Carry. :D

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Point of irony: Since when does a bill have to be smart to get passed?

Anyway, why should anyone need to pass any class to exercise a constitutional right?

Why isn't gun safety taught in school?

Etc, etc, etc....

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    Guess what Im trying to say is everyones ok with the fact that according to law that any crack head thats not a convicted felon can brandish a weapon on his hip and walk into a place and everybodys ok with that?

Epi5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    Houma, LA
    Money.

People willing to pay for the convenience of not letting people know they are armed or draw unwanted attention.

And did i mention money?

Epi5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    Houma, LA
    Guess what Im trying to say is everyones ok with the fact that according to law that any crack head thats not a convicted felon can brandish a weapon on his hip and walk into a place and everybodys ok with that?

Having a weapon on your hip is not brandishing. Brandishing is illegal.

And i would rather KNOW that said crackhead is carrying than get surprised by one being concealed if they went off the wall.

Last edited:

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    Having a weapon on your hip is not brandishing. Brandishing is illegal.

And i would rather KNOW that said crackhead is carrying than get surprised by one being concealed if they went off the wall.

I see your point, but I guess Im just getting anyone to see mine, especially when you have your kids with you. Its the first time I saw a young punk carry into a facility where I was sitting eating with my Daughter and it startled me. Anyways thanks for you guys opinions.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Why did it startle you?
    Did you envision the gun jumping out out the holster and shooting women and children?
    Are you uncomfortable around people who are aware of their rights and choose to exercise them?
    I'm honestly not trying to be judgmental but wondering where this is coming from. I have an uncle who has open carried as long as I can remember so I'm not flinched by it.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth

I'm absolutely fine with anyone not convicted of a violent felony carrying a weapon. If you want to restrict others right to self defense, be willing to give up your rights as well. Smart to open carry, I don't think so; gives away element of surprise and "rubs it in the face" of the anti gun crowd. But I still have to support the rift.

Last edited:

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    no I didnt envision anything of that degree, but it did make me think about what people must have felt like when these idiots first walked into these schools and Mconalds with these guns in plain site.
    Im aware of peoples rights and do truly respect that as I too am a member of NRA. Its not about that. For me it was just the realization at that moment that just anyone can carry. I thought about that person being a responsible person and how would he handle himself if someone approached him and any kind of argument occurred. What would be his response be? To put the weapon down and if a fight happened with an unarmed person, could he then fight like a man without his fire arm. Another words at that point your depending on common sense to prevail with someone you don't know anything about. Thats what flashed through my mind.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    You think the law will make a difference on a criminal carrying a weapon? I don't think it will cause criminals to carry more, just allow law abiding citizens to protect themselves.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    The same laws apply to those who conceal carry.
    Let me back up and say I do not open carry in public and despise those who do it for the attention and to throw it in the face of those who have a differing opinion.
    If I were CC and got into an argument I cannot pull my firearm until I feel my life is threatened or the life of someone in my immediate surrounding. Just because we are in a dispute or I get shoved does not allow me to draw my firearm and many things have gone very wrong if it even gets to that point.
    Common sense prevails when a situation is deescalated long before you have to "fight like a man".

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    The same laws apply to those who conceal carry.
    Let me back up and say I do not open carry in public and despise those who do it for the attention and to throw it in the face of those who have a differing opinion.
    If I were CC and got into an argument I cannot pull my firearm until I feel my life is threatened or the life of someone in my immediate surrounding. Just because we are in a dispute or I get shoved does not allow me to draw my firearm and many things have gone very wrong if it even gets to that point.
    Common sense prevails when a situation is deescalated long before you have to "fight like a man".

I agree with you 100%. You brought up a point about the people that open Carry for the attention on people faces. Thats the impression I got from this guy as he looked around the room at people reacting with facial reactions to his presence while standing there with the gun on his hip.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Actually, It is or was in the more rural parish's and may well still being taught.
    8 years ago when my niece was about 12 she and her classmates were taught shotgun safety...at school with a 20 gauge.
    The law may of changed since then? But I agree with your statement, It should be taught at all schools.

Point of irony: Since when does a bill have to be smart to get passed?

Anyway, why should anyone need to pass any class to exercise a constitutional right?

Why isn't gun safety taught in school?

Etc, etc, etc....

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Unfortunately there are more and more of those types out there who have purchased a "concealed carry permit" from sportsmans guide and have a flip cam ready to whip out at a moments notice so they can show up anyone who confronts them with their internet knowledge.

Even if done for reasons I disagree with it is his right if he so chooses to exercise it.

In general I pay more attention if I see the sketchy, likely criminal who would be more inclined to be illegally carrying than I do the bafoon that's looking for attention.

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    The more Ive studied this situation Ive concluded that 'Concealed Carry' permits were in theory put into place to arm honest law abiding citizens a means to protect themselves in the event of something tragic. The 'Open Carry' is for some a means to throw intimidation in peoples face, and they feel protected better by feeling the power of showing it when in fact they may be the ones more insecure.

Im sorry but after seeing this Crack Head open carrying where my kid and I were eating, that's the feeling that I got.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The point of the conceal carry permit is that you shouldn't be able to conceal on your person unless a background check is done and some training. I'm sure the police do not want everyone concealing, and possibly getting the upper hand on an officer, so there's some loops to go through to make sure only permitted people conceal. Open carry has to be that, out in the open. The officer should be able to see the weapon clearly, not partially tucked, not having a t shirt covering it etc

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    The more Ive studied this situation Ive concluded that 'Concealed Carry' permits were in theory put into place to arm honest law abiding citizens a means to protect themselves in the event of something tragic. The 'Open Carry' is for some a means to throw intimidation in peoples face, and they feel protected better by feeling the power of showing it when in fact they may be the ones more insecure.

Im sorry but after seeing this Crack Head open carrying where my kid and I were eating, that's the feeling that I got.

If you study further back, you'll find that concealed carry was thought the cowardly and criminal way to carry. In the early days of this country, it was expected that gentlemen would be armed and would openly carry their weapons as a sign of their forthrightness and honesty.

Over time, laws changed as the times changed. Fewer people felt the need to carry firearms, especially in cities with good policing. Times have changed again,and people wanted to protect themselves, but the patchwork of laws across the country made carry difficult if not impossible. It has taken a concerted effort by many prople and many different firearm rights groups to change laws and public opinion.

In many states, within the past few years, Open Carry organizations have helped paved he way for accepance of firearm rights. They are directly responsible for getting Concealed Carry laws passed in several states because, as you yourself noted, openly carried firearms scare some people silly -either because of the "look" or "attitude" of the bearer, or because if the wholly strange nature of seeing gunson public display.

With rights, however, come responsibilities. One who exercises a right irresponsibly will suffer the consequences. (An uneducated voter is a far more dangerous thing than most open carriers.) The "punk" you saw may likely be just going through that ridiculous stage most young men go through when they are first feeling their place in adult society. With luck, and some guidance from responsible older men, he may learn before he does something stupid.

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    I've yet to come across a "crack head" who wasn't a felon. How do you know this "young punk" was a illegal drug abuser? Was he smoking crack right then? How do you know he was even a criminal? Did your Spidey sense tingle. Did Commissioner Gordon text you on the bat phone?

This is why we've been losing ground to the anti-gun crowd. Too many people like the OP who think that people who don't look\act\think like them don't deserve to have rights. Felons don't open carry. They illegally conceal carry. They're criminals. The right to self defense is for everyone, not just who you think should have it. Mind your own damn business

Top Bottom