Opinions needed: Most reliable .380 pocket pistol? Best SD ammo.380? Why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    If you're talking about a true pocket model, it's hard to beat the AMT 380 backup.
    Not a fan, just remember an article in handgunner magazine years ago

Ranger57

Rating - 98.1%
    53   1   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Diamond Back .380... Some guys will talk **** about the reliability of it, but it will empty 6rds without hick-up every time. It looks like a small Glock in my opinion, that's for you to decide. I've shot plain white box .380 reloads without any expansion issues, always feeds, fires, and extracts... All I need a pocket pistol to do. Now remember this is a pure WTF just happened self defense pocket pistol! With that said its a ,< 15 yrd pistol, not going to shoot better than 6 moa @ 15yds, but any further than 10 yards and its no longer a self defense pistol anyway. I carry Speer Gold Dot in it which feeds and fires perfectly, as far as penetration... I have no idea! I just know that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Good luck finding what you want. Choose what feels good in your hand, b/c all .380 pistols have a lot of pop in my opinion... just an opinion.
    Look at:
    AMT
    Diamond Back
    Ruger LCP
    kel-tec .380
    All cheap little pistols... Hopefully this helps...

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I carry my Ruger LCP everywhere. If kept well oiled, its never given me any issues and I qualify with it annually at 25 yards. I carry mine loaded with Winchester Ranger 95g.

Last edited:

Hippie Crusher

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Orleans
    I got a Keltec p3at last year that's pretty cool. I haven't had any issues with it. This thing is small. I have a holster that holds it and a extra mag that is the same size as my wallet and fits in my back pocket.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Kahr P380
    Kel-tec P38T
    Ruger LCP
    Diamondback DB380
    ...All good choices.

The AMT... Really? Any of you ever owned one? They weigh as much as a full size pistol. All stainless.. which is great, it won't ever rust, but for the weight, you could carry 3 of any of the others listed.

Skip the .380 Get a good pocket 9 and forget about it.

Ares

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Scott
    I have had several and sold all but my current carry. Sig P238. Nice weight and very accurate. It is all metal as well.
    Ares

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I would suggest a Bodyguard .380. It's a good pistol with decent sights, an integrated laser (useful for pocket guns), and Very accurate. It's small enough for pocket carry.

As for ammo... Honestly, there's not much Good about the .380 IMO. It's ok, but you basically Either get penetration or expansion. Silvertips are a good enough compromise, but I've read a few articles that say in That caliber, you might as well carry ball. I don't really agree with that, but at least you get good penetration.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I have a S&W Boygaurd and have zero complaints about it. I've ran crap ammo through it poking holes in paper and have had no issues. If I carry it, I usually have Hornady Critical Defense. Not sure if it's really the best choice though. I'm sure there are guys here who have done substantial tests though. I personally can't afford to.

Like any pocket pistol though, that SOB is choppy when you shoot it.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Any quality .380 auto is good. I have a sig P238 I like it. My wife likes the LCP by ruger, Really its all what you prefer. As for ammo, I personally like the Hornady Critical Defense round. But again its a matter of personal preference. The .380 is minimal as a personal defense round, but I "always" have it in my pocket. I like my .45 acp fine, and my .44 special, my .38 special, or my .44 mag which ever I choose to carry. But at the end of the day, I "always" have my .380. The best gun is the one you have with you when you need it.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Why do people say their name after they post? Your name is already associated with your post, what am i missing here?

To be on topic, i have a lcp, neat little thing and it works. Great for gym short carry

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    post #7 and post #9

they end their post by stating their username, which is already given, kinda like how i know Leadfoot made post#14 and #8 and you didnt have to type your user name into your post

not that it really matters, im just curious about why

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Don't have experience with 380's but I installed laser grips and test fired a Kimber SOLO 9mm Saturday and it was extremely accurate at 4-7 yards and functioned perfectly with Blaser 115 FMJ and Fed 135 JHP. Just brought it up cuz it's very small like a 380.

Labadie

WFPD
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    BR
    I am really enjoying the info posted. I am leaning between Ruger LCP and Bodyguard .380.

Leadfoot I have considered a pocket 9mm. I already have a Shield .40 that I love but I would not call it a pocket gun. It imprints more than I would like even with a good pocket holster and it is a little heavy.

Rule #1 of a gun fight is to bring a gun! Seems to me when I can’t carry my S&W Shield deep concealed then a well-placed shot from great defense round .380 is better than breaking rule #1

It is summer time and that is what prompted my question. Light cloths require deep concealed gun.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I am really enjoying the info posted. I am leaning between Ruger LCP and Bodyguard .380.

Leadfoot I have considered a pocket 9mm. I already have a Shield .40 that I love but I would not call it a pocket gun. It imprints more than I would like even with a good pocket holster and it is a little heavy.

Rule #1 of a gun fight is to bring a gun! Seems to me when I can’t carry my S&W Shield deep concealed then a well-placed shot from great defense round .380 is better than breaking rule #1

It is summer time and that is what prompted my question. Light cloths require deep concealed gun.

Ok Eric, I see now.. Who knows?

Labadie, I agree that the Shield is NOT a pocket gun. I would recommend a good IWB (Inside the waistband) holster. A Shield is a VERY easy to conceal gun if using this method. Lead :)

Labadie

WFPD
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    BR
    Ok Eric, I see now.. Who knows?

Labadie, I agree that the Shield is NOT a pocket gun. I would recommend a good IWB (Inside the waistband) holster. A Shield is a VERY easy to conceal gun if using this method. Lead :)

Leadfoot i have a N82 Pro that i like and conceal well with i am looking for the days when i am in shorts and polo shirt. The Shield tends to show with the n82 with a tighter polo shirt. I may be ordering a crossbreed soon to see if it rides a little deeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom