Opinions on a couple of 1911's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    I'm thinking of buying a 1911 to replace one that I had stolen about 6 years ago. I'm currently looking at a Springfield mil-spec, and a Taurus PT1911. My impressions from looking at them in the store are as follows. The Springer is solid, durable, and a lot like my old 1911, just a basic gun. The trigger is a little stiff, and there is nothing fancy. The Taurus has a lot of nice features for less money than the Springfield, and the trigger is pretty sweet right out of the box. I've never owned a Taurus, and have read that customer service is lacking, but I've also read some good things about these guns. Anybody out there have either or both of these pistols and have any input?

Thanks,
    Dave

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I have shot both and both are very nice firearms. I don't really like either of those companies for their customer service. Springfield will help you out over the phone and their warranty is top notch but they will not ship simple parts that can be changed out by the owner of the firearm. They require that even for a replacement slide stop you ship the firearm back to them for installation. I have heard many bad things about Taurus customer service. Things like not returning calls or ignoring emails.

I suggest that you also look at the Rock Island Armory 1911's. They are not junk as many people assume they are and I have heard from friends that their customer service is fairly good.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I personally wouldn't want the Taurus. They have a TON of features and upgrades for an inexpensive price. How do they do it? Cheaper parts and manufacturing.

Based on what I'm assuming your budget is, I'd say the Springer Mil-Spec, or STI Spartan. I've heard a lot of good things about Rock Island as well.

coltaholic

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Tampa Bay, florida
    Hi, I've had both, and i still have the springfield. The Taurus is a lot of gun for the money, and the enhanced feayures don't really cost that much more, especially when you consider that Taurus makes their complete gins in-house. The quality of the gun is excellent , as is the Springfield. I recently had an experience with Taurus cust service. I bought a new mod 650, the cylinder would not turn, and I sent it back to Taurus, 7 weeks later, I had my gun back,all fixed.

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the replies. I have read good and bad things about the RIA pistols, like I have the Taurus. The internet is great for getting info, but you have to have a good BS detector. Are there any dealers around the Baton Rouge / Gonzales area that carry the Rock Island or STI pistols? I woundn't mind taking a look. Coltaholic, is there any particular reason that you got rid of the Taurus over the Springer? It sounds like you liked both of them.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I bought a High Standard 1911 for my 21st birthday. Stovepiped twice in approximately 3500rds of very little maintanence and cleaning.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Check out the XD 45 Compact. I shoot mine more than my Colt 1911. Accurate, dependable, and fun to shoot. Disassembly/assembly/cleaning is very easy. My Colt is a PITA to reassemble. Seriously check out the XD.:)

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    I'm sure the XD is a fine weapon, but I'm really looking for a 1911. I have a P345 that is accurate, and has never had a failure. It is very easy to disassemble and clean, and is fairly compact as well. I want the 1911 because I love the way those pistols feel in my hand and naturally point. I know it's a 100 year old design, but something about them just does it for me like none of the modern autos.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I want the 1911 because I love the way those pistols feel in my hand and naturally point. I know it's a 100 year old design, but something about them just does it for me like none of the modern autos.

That is why I shoot 1911's. They fit me and feel natural to shoot. I have not found another that does. If i do I'll buy them too

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Check out the XD 45 Compact. I shoot mine more than my Colt 1911. Accurate, dependable, and fun to shoot. Disassembly/assembly/cleaning is very easy. My Colt is a PITA to reassemble. Seriously check out the XD.:)
    That sounds crazy to me! I can fully detail strip (every part removed) and reassemble a 1911 in about 10 minutes with one small brass punch (and you can even use the firing pin for that). The entire pistol is made to be taken apart without any tools.

My XD on the other hand takes about 3x as long to detail strip, and requires several funky tools like tweezers, q-tips, picks, etc. I absolutely hate stripping it. Too many tight spaces and weird little springs. :hs:

That being said, I love both for their own reasons. But a 1911 is just a timeless work of mechanical art. It feels and shoots like a pistol should, and it's what I use as a basis to judge all other handguns on. :)

Slow

I Support Human Culling
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Precision has Rock Islands on display

so does jims firearms, but they cheapest one that i saw was over a grand :confused: i dont know what the hell is going. across the street at american reloading they have two of the taurus 1911's, one blued and one stainless.

i have also been on the hunt for one. i'll keep this thread in mind, and if i come across a good buy i'll post up

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I have shot the Rock Island. We had a .45 shoot one night ( .45 meant 1911 ) so there was a mix. I have to say everyone was impressed by the RIA considering the price paid was $400. The little GI sights everyone complains about work quite well.

There were nice Springfield, Kimber, Colt, etc. for more money. All were nice just depends on $$ willing to be spent.

I have a guy I know that bought the Taurus & raves about it also. He has sold guns he didn't like.

The High Standard got a pretty good review in an article on the net.

About the only bad thing about the 1911 is you have too many choices, options, configurations, colors, opinions - so there is no easy answer. Maybe that is I why so many guy have a collection of 1911's

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    Well, after much deliberation and research, I went ahead and bought the Taurus. I took it to Precision on my lunch hour and burned a box of shells, and my first impressions of the pistol are very positive. The trigger is light and crisp, and it shot where I aimed it and functioned flawlessly. Time will tell how it functions with a variety of ammo and how well it holds up, but I'm happy with it right now.:D I'll try to post a couple of pictures later.

oldironsights

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2008
    Carriere, Mississippi
    Great choice, brick!
    I bought a PT1911 when they first came out. All I had to do was replace that awful rear sight & the grips. With the target sights & grips, I can shoot 1.5 inch groups standing @ 25 yards.
    After that, I was so impressed with Taurus autoloading pistols, I went & bought a PT99 AFS & a PT 38S.
    More bling than my Glocks or CZ's.:)

brotherzoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I've had great luck with a couple of different Taurus pistols I've owned...not so much for the Springfields. Just my experience.

Personal choice though, I'd say go Para. What's better than 7 rounds of 45acp? 14 rounds of 45acp. I own 2 and both are as close to 100% reliable as any gun I've ever shot.

Tis is my first post here btw, as if no one could tell by the number, but I just wanted to say that the forum looks really cool and I look forward to being a long-term regular here.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Well, after much deliberation and research, I went ahead and bought the Taurus. I took it to Precision on my lunch hour and burned a box of shells, and my first impressions of the pistol are very positive. The trigger is light and crisp, and it shot where I aimed it and functioned flawlessly. Time will tell how it functions with a variety of ammo and how well it holds up, but I'm happy with it right now.:D I'll try to post a couple of pictures later.
    If you CCW it, make sure to wear a holster or extra layer of clothing that keeps the sweat off of it. :hs:

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Smith and Wesson is running a rebate $100 off offer until april 30th on their 1911's. Jim's in BR has a 5" shot show special for 729.00. That's 629.00 for smith. Can't beat that price. The only big difference with the smith's is the external extractor and I haven't found it to be a problem in mine.

coltaholic

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Tampa Bay, florida
    the reason i got rid of the taurus was that someone offered me a trade I couldn't refuse. I've owned most 1911's, and my hands down favorite is the Colt C C O. the RIA is great for the money, the Taurus is better, the springfield is good, but the Taurus has a lifetime warranty, and i had great service from them in that regard. THey're not good on communication, but they get the job done, no questions asked. So If i could only have one 1911 and i had only 500 or do to spend, I'd probably get the Taurus
    colts 001.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom