Opinions on buying mid-size SUV

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What Mid-Size SUV?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hey guys, I'm looking at replacing my 2009 Jeep with another mid-size SUV and am torn between a few. I've looked at the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer and Toyota 4Runner. Going to get either a 2014 or 2015 with under 30k miles on it. Trying to stay as close to $25k as possible.

So far, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Ford Explorer and Toyota 4Runner. The Ford gets a little better gas mileage and the interior looks more refined, but I love the ruggedness of the 4Runner (especially coming from a Jeep Commander). I'm also not thrilled that the Explorer is now a cross over, but I really don't need a truck chassis. Do any of you have experience with the most recent generation of the Explorer or 4Runner and have input? I'm concerned about reliability of the explorer as well (assuming the 4Runner is reliable just as all Toyota's seem to be).

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    When I bought my car it was either a 4Runner or CRV. Only went with CRV because they knocked $5k off as I was a repeat customer.

aka I vote for the 4Runner.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just something to think about.... Unless you pay extra for AWD, the explorer is Front wheel drive? Do you really want a front wheel drive ford?

I like the 4 runners but think they are over priced for what you get, and a little on the small size inside, compared to how big the outside is.

Though I don't have experience in the newer pilots, the older Acura MDX's where great cars, handles well and has plenty of space, and since there's a new version out, the older shape took a huge hit in resale.

The new highlanders are nice, but I saw them at the dealership for over 40k...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have a GMC Terrain and love it. When I was shopping for mid-sized SUV's I test drove them all, and it felt the best.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just something to think about.... Unless you pay extra for AWD, the explorer is Front wheel drive? Do you really want a front wheel drive ford?

I like the 4 runners but think they are over priced for what you get, and a little on the small size inside, compared to how big the outside is.

Though I don't have experience in the newer pilots, the older Acura MDX's where great cars, handles well and has plenty of space, and since there's a new version out, the older shape took a huge hit in resale.

The new highlanders are nice, but I saw them at the dealership for over 40k...

Yeah FWD for the explorer sucks. I'm bummed they now share the same D platform with the Taurus. All the mid-size SUV's except 4Runner are crossovers now :( The 4Runner is expensive, and the base model interior seems pretty basic compared to what you get with other vehicles (the 2015 still has a physical metal key, my friends 2014 Honda Civic LX has push to start). Highlander is closer to 30k base, but I'm in my mid 20's and don't have kids.. seems like the new highlander is geared more towards that. I'll look into the Acura.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a GMC Terrain and love it. When I was shopping for mid-sized SUV's I test drove them all, and it felt the best.

Thanks, is that considered mid-size or compact? What year is yours?

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks, is that considered mid-size or compact? What year is yours?

I think it's mid-sized? It is comparable to the Explorer. GMC advertises how they use high quality everything and how they have better insulation and what not...well they were telling the truth. The two biggest factors I noticed when test driving were the lack or road noise, and the handling. The Terrain feels sturdier. It also is very quiet when driving. Mine is a 2013.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think it's mid-sized? It is comparable to the Explorer. GMC advertises how they use high quality everything and how they have better insulation and what not...well they were telling the truth. The two biggest factors I noticed when test driving were the lack or road noise, and the handling. The Terrain feels sturdier. It also is very quiet when driving. Mine is a 2013.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the GMC. What did you pay? PM me if you'd rather!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    http://www.texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/acura-mdx/1/vehicle/2HNYD2H67BH518238/p-a/

Two family members with one (my dad and brother in law) and about 4 friends, all with the same generation MDX, zero issues and all love it.

My wife drives a RDX, and personally its a great car, but I got a lemon that blew a head within the first 2 months of owning it. Only reason I still have it, is b/c I would take a huge hit trading it in, and I purchased the 100k mile warranty at the acura dealer when I bought the car new.

I drive an Escalade and think it's kinda "cheap" feeling for how much I paid, but ZERO issues and I like how high it sits.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I have a 2011 Pilot exl. 70k miles and no issues so far. I have developed a random rattle somewhere near passenger rear door. Only happens with really bumpy roads. Another bad this is gas mileage and ride is pretty ruff

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    In January we downsized from an 07 Expedition to a 13 Explorer Limited 24,000 miles with 4 bucket seats. I couldn't be happier with the decision.

Very comfortable and roomy for a big man such as myself. Rides and handles great with a low wide stance.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    We Orginally were between a pilot and explorer. My family in the past have had mazda, chevy, ford, dodge, and honda and the Mazda and honda were the only cars worth keeping after 10 years which is important to me bc I keep my cars as long as possible

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I looked into the Toyota 4 Runner, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Mazda CX-5 & CX-9. I ended up with a Mazda, but if I had to pick from the Ford or Toyota, I'd pick the Toyota.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    4Runner.

I agree though it is a lot of money for what you get. Features are pretty spartan.

Wrangler unlimited is another logical choice, and they're seemingly cheap, but by the time you put a roof, air conditioning, and an automatic transmission it's like $40k.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    4Runner.

I agree though it is a lot of money for what you get. Features are pretty spartan.

Wrangler unlimited is another logical choice, and they're seemingly cheap, but by the time you put a roof, air conditioning, and an automatic transmission it's like $40k.

I actually love the grand cherokee, it looks gorgeous and you get a lot of features for the money. Unfortunately, as much as I loved my Jeep, I just can't buy another. Mine had to get towed about once a year which wasn't even the problem for me, since it was under warranty. What did it for me was how incompetent the Jeep dealers around here are (Metairie/Greater New Orleans). Are you still driving the infiniti?

- - - Updated - - -

I looked into the Toyota 4 Runner, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Mazda CX-5 & CX-9. I ended up with a Mazda, but if I had to pick from the Ford or Toyota, I'd pick the Toyota.

What year is your Mazda? Have you been happy with it?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Ok, I'll weigh in. What is your reason for midsize? Have kids? this be an only vehicle or family hauler, etc?
    If you are just getting smaller for fuel mileage, compare them closely, some of the bigger ones get as good or better mileage as the smaller ones.
    FWD vs AWD is just a personal decision, all of the crossovers are essentially front wheel drive vehicles, that another shaft and parts can be added to- this excludes the rear wheel drive 4 runner.
    My wife had a Yukon denali and didn't like the 4 captains chairs at all, she much preferred the rear bench. She now has a wrangler unlimited, they are not 40k unless you try to add all the fancy stuff. Hers is a sport S with all the power stuff, hard top, auto and sticker was around 32 I think.
    I have driven a 15 explorer and will admit they are nice, but nothing like the old explorers, more like a minivan and a car had a lovechild, but that is the norm now. The 4 runner is nice, but is rather high priced in my opinion.
    I went to check out a new accord a couple weeks ago and wound up leaving with it. I say go put some ass time in a few different things and get the one you like best. I wouldn't rule out kia either, they are making some nice vehicles now.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, I'll weigh in. What is your reason for midsize? Have kids? this be an only vehicle or family hauler, etc?
    If you are just getting smaller for fuel mileage, compare them closely, some of the bigger ones get as good or better mileage as the smaller ones.
    FWD vs AWD is just a personal decision, all of the crossovers are essentially front wheel drive vehicles, that another shaft and parts can be added to- this excludes the rear wheel drive 4 runner.
    My wife had a Yukon denali and didn't like the 4 captains chairs at all, she much preferred the rear bench. She now has a wrangler unlimited, they are not 40k unless you try to add all the fancy stuff. Hers is a sport S with all the power stuff, hard top, auto and sticker was around 32 I think.
    I have driven a 15 explorer and will admit they are nice, but nothing like the old explorers, more like a minivan and a car had a lovechild, but that is the norm now. The 4 runner is nice, but is rather high priced in my opinion.
    I went to check out a new accord a couple weeks ago and wound up leaving with it. I say go put some ass time in a few different things and get the one you like best. I wouldn't rule out kia either, they are making some nice vehicles now.

Thanks for your input. I'm 23 and have no kids. My reason for mid-size is I enjoy having an SUV, but living in NOLA and going to school downtown I don't like parking with full size. I actually test drove the new accord and looked heavily at getting one, but I just don't think I'd be happy living here with a sedan.

My '09 Jeep was recently in the shop for 8 weeks (the main reason I won't buy another Jeep again), and during that time I got to spend about a month in a nissan altima and a few weeks in a truck. The car was a lot of fun to drive, but I was reminded how much it sucked driving through pot holes in NOLA, something I didn't have to pay attention to with my Jeep. We also had a day last month with some pretty bad street flooding where I couldn't get around in the altima.

I would like a hitch, but I only tow a small boat or jetski a few times a year, so vehicle doesn't need to tow much (3500 Ib is plenty).

Your comments are my main reserve with the Explorer. It seems nice, and the interior cabin is more luxurious than the 4Runner, but it just feels like a soccer mom crossover to me...On the plus side though, for the price of a stock 4Runner I can get an XLT explorer with leather and push start etc. The 4Runner seems to be the closest in terms of looks and handling to my 09 commander. I'll check out Kia, I know they just redid the Sorento for 2016. Just not too sure about their reliability.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I actually love the grand cherokee, it looks gorgeous and you get a lot of features for the money. Unfortunately, as much as I loved my Jeep, I just can't buy another. Mine had to get towed about once a year which wasn't even the problem for me, since it was under warranty. What did it for me was how incompetent the Jeep dealers around here are (Metairie/Greater New Orleans). Are you still driving the infiniti?

- - - Updated - - -

What year is your Mazda? Have you been happy with it?

I'm sending you a PM now.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Thanks for your input. I'm 23 and have no kids. My reason for mid-size is I enjoy having an SUV, but living in NOLA and going to school downtown I don't like parking with full size. I actually test drove the new accord and looked heavily at getting one, but I just don't think I'd be happy living here with a sedan.

My '09 Jeep was recently in the shop for 8 weeks (the main reason I won't buy another Jeep again), and during that time I got to spend about a month in a nissan altima and a few weeks in a truck. The car was a lot of fun to drive, but I was reminded how much it sucked driving through pot holes in NOLA, something I didn't have to pay attention to with my Jeep. We also had a day last month with some pretty bad street flooding where I couldn't get around in the altima.

I would like a hitch, but I only tow a small boat or jetski a few times a year, so vehicle doesn't need to tow much (3500 Ib is plenty).

Your comments are my main reserve with the Explorer. It seems nice, and the interior cabin is more luxurious than the 4Runner, but it just feels like a soccer mom crossover to me...On the plus side though, for the price of a stock 4Runner I can get an XLT explorer with leather and push start etc. The 4Runner seems to be the closest in terms of looks and handling to my 09 commander. I'll check out Kia, I know they just redid the Sorento for 2016. Just not too sure about their reliability.
    What the hell takes 8 weeks to repair?

Top Bottom