Opinions on the Lafayette area ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    Me and my wife have been considering moving out of the hole we are in and now we are at the point where we are ready to do it. We currently live in hammond and I decided after growing up here it's going down hill fast plus it's far from a lot of work in my industry...we love the Lafayette area but that's only from visiting. So I'm looking for opinions on that area. I don't think we want to move into Lafayette but deff within 20 miles or so of it. So what's a good area near there to dig in and burry roots at? Any opinions/info appreciated. Btw if anybody knows of any 3 bedroom houses for rent or any jobs in the inspection field I'm your guy. I'm NDT certified across the board I can x ray and i have experience in welding and piping inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Bunches of NDE companies around here. We use Accurate NDE exclusively at our shop, and they're always looking for some hands. Bayou Inspection, Bayou Testers, and Accurate Inspection are some other companies we'll use on occasion for PMI or Stress Relieving.

There are a lot of really quiet places around Lafayette that are still reasonably close to civilization (so you don't have to take a monthly grocery run). I'd check around Breaux Bridge, Duson, Mire, Scott, Broussard, Youngsville. Pretty much anywhere but Lafayette itself, the traffic is miserable from about 7-6 every day. Carencro isn't bad, but check the flood zone before you pull the trigger on a house.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    If you have kids then schools will be a factor. Youngsville/Milton area on the southside would probably be a good starting point. I love Lafayette, grew up in Carencro but moved to Houston 2 years ago to follow my job, but I plan to retire back in the Lafayette area. I lived in Ponchatoula while I was attending SLU and I loved the Hammond area too. Got lots of friends still there. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    If you have kids then schools will be a factor. Youngsville/Milton area on the southside would probably be a good starting point. I love Lafayette, grew up in Carencro but moved to Houston 2 years ago to follow my job, but I plan to retire back in the Lafayette area. I lived in Ponchatoula while I was attending SLU and I loved the Hammond area too. Got lots of friends still there. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

I do have a 2 yo and one on the way...the hammond/ponchatoula area is going down hill fast IMO from what it once was.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    South and Southwest part of the parish is the best place IMO. Youngsville has a great suburban fill to it if you have the funds. Go further west to Milton, Judice/Ridge, and Duson for country living. My brother lives in the Indian Bayou area and I absolutely love it out there. Surrounded by crawfish ponds and cane fills. You can watch geese come in at night and it's not uncommon to find some decent deer tracks on his property.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Broussard, Youngsville, Milton, Abbeville, Sunset, there are a few nice smaller towns & country type areas within 20 miles of Lafayette. The only bad part is if you have to drive thru Lafayette to get to work. Lots of people do it, you just need to figure out the traffic patterns.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    We just left Lafayette after living there for 10 years and moved to Madisonville. Wife works in Mandeville and I'm running a shop in Hammond. I really miss Lafayette. BAD. Broussard/Youngsville seems to be were the city is growing. Plenty of work out there. We're far from retirement but we want to move back to retire when it's time.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    We just left Lafayette after living there for 10 years and moved to Madisonville. Wife works in Mandeville and I'm running a shop in Hammond. I really miss Lafayette. BAD. Broussard/Youngsville seems to be were the city is growing. Plenty of work out there. We're far from retirement but we want to move back to retire when it's time.

What shop in hammond might this be?

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville

I knew there was something good about you. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The roads suck and traffic is moderate to heavy. The people struck me as friendly and the food is good. Red's is a helluva gym.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Have a friend living out there and hate visiting. Ghetto doesn't begin to explain that place. Every gas station has at least 3 pumps broken from idiots driving off while it's still pumping. Godspeed.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Can't add much more than what's already been said, but after having moved to Lafayette from Australia 4 1/2 years ago, all I can say is I enjoy it here. As stated already, the Youngsville, Broussard and Milton area are generally pretty quiet and decent areas.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Have a friend living out there and hate visiting. Ghetto doesn't begin to explain that place. Every gas station has at least 3 pumps broken from idiots driving off while it's still pumping. Godspeed.

Must be "Upper Lafayette" your visiting. Every town has its bad inhabitants so to speak, but generally Lafayette is full of great people. I've been all around this state and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else......... Maybe a little closer to the saltwater fishing. Although the bay isn't too far.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

Tell your friend to move out of the ghetto, or get a GPS and find the south side. Ignorance. I have never seen a gas station like you explained, and i'm sure i've been there much more than you obviously.

To the OP, I hear Youngsville area is nice.

jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    Can't add a whole lot different from what was stated. Just moved out of Lafayette to Thibodaux and miss it dearly. Lived there 10 years between Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, then Broussard. South side to Broussard and Youngsville are the places to be. Want to go back eventually when I can find a job that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

CajunCracker

Beastmode
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Lafayette

You are definitely talking about the north side. Been in laffy since 2004 my freshman year in college. Moved out here from a small one traffic light town in central Florida. I married a girl from carencro and boom, here I am. I love it here. People are awesome, food is awesome, culture is awesome, and the women are gorgeous. Anyway, stay south of congress st and downtown and your good to go bro. Traffic does suck at certain times of the day, that's true. If you want suburban type living then Broussard, youngsville, and southwest Lafayette are all pretty good places.

Top Bottom