Opinions Wanted on a Possible Rifle Swap

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    This guy wants to trade me a Ruger PC9, (9mm), carbine for either my Mini 14, (.223), or Mini 30, (7.62X39), straight up. I have never shot the PC9 nor do I know much about them. Do any of you guys have any experience with the PC9? If so, any comments. Thanks, Mac

francis8709

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    My father, 2 uncles and cousin all have a PC4 and they love them. Really neat rifles in my opinion. The .40 shoots real well at 100 yds, tack driver. Well built machines.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    do you have a pistol that takes the same mags as his rifle? I might do it then, as long as I still had a rifle for the 5.56/7.62. I've never handled one personally, but the prices are comparable to the Mini and the PC looks like standard issue Ruger.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    The Pc4 and Pc9 are guns I have wanted badly for a long time. I would definitely want to mod one to accept M&P magazines though, I imagine it wouldn't be too crazy.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I wouldn't do it. I had a Ruger PC4 and it didn't shoot that great at 50 yards and it has a looping trajectory even out to 100 yards. I can imagine the PC9 is much the same. The Mini 14/30 are a lot more accurate at 100 yards and you don't have to sight it in 3 inches high at 50 yards to get there. I guess it depends on if you have an older model Mini 30 and not a newer version. The older models didn't shoot that great so you might be ok trading that one.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I wouldn't do it. I had a Ruger PC4 and it didn't shoot that great at 50 yards and it has a looping trajectory even out to 100 yards. I can imagine the PC9 is much the same. The Mini 14/30 are a lot more accurate at 100 yards and you don't have to sight it in 3 inches high at 50 yards to get there. I guess it depends on if you have an older model Mini 30 and not a newer version. The older models didn't shoot that great so you might be ok trading that one.

i agree. I also traded off a Glock 23 with 2 extra barrels and mags for one. It was a bad trade. Mags for the 40 cal version are almost non-existent. If you want a PCC, go with the kel tec sub 2000 in 9mm or get one of the mech tech conversions. Things I did not like about the ruger outside of the mag issue: Heavy for the caliber, no aftermarket stuff at all for it.

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    Thank you Hunter and Jarhead. I have offered him a Saiga .223 instead. He may bite on that. I am going keep my Minis, both of them are a year to a year and a half old and shoot well.

Top Bottom