optic for 308 rifle.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have zero experience with shooting distance, and rarely will have the opportunity to go past 200 yards, but I Would like to be able to do 5-600 yards in the near future. I recently built a 20" 308, basically a gas piston POF rifle, and was wondering what would be a good optic and magnification range. I do like my Trijicon Accupoint tr-24 I have on my SBR. But was looking for more than 4x.

I've read great reviews on the nikon M-308 and vortex optics, But vortex makes way too many optics for me to be clear on which one is good and which are great. I figure the PST lines are good but is it worth the money over a HS series?

Say budget is up to 1k, what optic do you think is best? Would you recommend saving the money and just going with the nikon M-308? The HS-T 4-16 or 6-24 isn't that much more, neither is the 4-16 PST. How about trijicon's accu power line? never hear of anyone talking about that.

Jmfox3

Dec 27, 2009
    There are many good scopes on the market. If you want to shoot long range don't low ball the optic. I'd focus on the features such as parallax adjustment, turret type, custom turret availability, etc. One medium priced scope that is often overlooked is a Burris XTR. This is my POF with a Burris XTR.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pof308c.jpg
      Pof308c.jpg
      27.7 KB · Views: 332

Bunk39

Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    I had the HS-T 4-16 and was disappointed. I am new to the world of long(er) range shooting, but not hunting. My old Leupy VariX 3 3.5-10 x 40 was more clear than that model Vortex. I ended up selling it at a loss.
    I built a DI gun mostly from JP rifles parts and after much research and trying different models, finally settled on the Nightforce F1. 3.5 to 15 x 50. I love it. It's first focal plane which adds to the cost. At the time a year ago, there were similar NF models available in second focal plane which were very near your budget price. I looked at the Burris XTR but didn't care for the reticle.
    I would call the guys at Interstate guns. They will talk to you at length about different options. The most patient folks with a noob (me!) that I ran across during my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bman940

Apr 2, 2012
    Noob, I think you are on the right track. I do freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon and have been for 5 years now. This means' I am putting over 10,000+ rounds down range just myself and some event's are 60K for the weekend. One thing I can assure you is I have not seen even 1 issue with Nikon's having any problem with tracking or maintaining accuracy after numerous rounds fired under them. I personally have purchased 3 M-308 4-16 BDC 800 scope's for my .308's. Easy to use and Spot On provides you with excellent longrange accuracy. I like Nikon's 1 piece XR mount for my .308 AR's and Warne 1 inch Med. ring's for my bolt gun's. The M-Series is built with Nikon's top tier MONARCH glass for excellent clarity and backed by Nikon's No fault warranty.
    This scope is currently under a Nikon Sponsored PROMO when you buy ffrom an Authorized Dealer. Check out some of this site's Sponsor's to see if they can help you out. I don't do any sales for Nikon or other product's I do testing for so I have nothing to gain here, just trying to pass along info that might help you save $70.
    Drop me a note if toy have any question's.

dave2rifles.png

Last edited:

ajridgedell

Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I have a viper 4-16 hs -xlr on my semi auto 308, fnar. To me it didn't seem quite as clear as my pst 6-24 but still pretty nice. The reticle may be a little more than necessary but I don't find it intrusive. I would probably buy the same scope if I did it again. I was told by vortex that all the viper scopes have the same quality glass but the 6-24 is a better optical design or something like that. Sounded much more intelligent the way he said it.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was looking at the Viper PST 6-24, how did you like it? Did you buy the first focal plane? If so, is it worth the extra 2-300 bucks?

ajridgedell

Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Yes mine is ffp. I love the 6-24 pst. Something to think about is the big turrets sticking out, if it's something you'll take hunting through the woods or on a sling I like the capped turrets, but then for that purpose 6-24 would be overkill. I think ffp is a nice feature to learn to use though not always necessary. I have used vortex warranty before and they paid shipping both ways, so no complaints.

Bigchillin83

Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Me and a buddy both have a 700 sps tactical, I have a Nikon monarch 4-16x42 mill dot, he has the m-308, both exact same scope except retical.... We both like the mill-dot better, because the mill dot can be used on "spot on" for any caliber, but also has windage dots, not a big deal but is a nice added feature when shooting long distance instead of guessing ,also mine has the closed adjustment caps.... I know its prob not an issue fro most but I allways have my doubts about scopes, and if somebody can just walk up and crank on my scope with out me looking either playing a game or being a dick, or for some reason coming unlocked and turning, I couldn't sleep at night, lol just my thoughts

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      268.3 KB · Views: 66
    Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom