Ouachita Parish SO Range Closed Until Further Notice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • belmor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe
    Recording when you call says due to construction, word on the street is someone who owns neighboring property has sued claiming he has "debris" on his land and has gotten an injunction causing the closure of the range until the case is settled. Mind you this person does not live on this land at all.

~B~

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    If this is the one out at Selman Field, that range has been there for over 40 years that I know of and is now a problem............hum..........someone obviously needs some $$$$. :eek3:

belmor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe
    If this is the one out at Selman Field, that range has been there for over 40 years that I know of and is now a problem............hum..........someone obviously needs some $$$$. :eek3:

They closed that one a few years ago built a NICE brand new one with lots of lanes, steel target range, archery range with elevated shooting platforms, etc. etc.
    Also bear in mind the police training faclities at the new location are also closed due to this issue.

~B~

possrullin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Ruston, LA
    The closing of the range is a bad deal for law enforcement and civilians. There is a range in Jonesboro-Hodge that is just getting going. It used to be a strictly rifle range but now a couple of locals have bought the range and making some upgrades. They already pushed up dirt for a relatively small pistol range, good size to run a course for steel challenge. Not anything fancy by any means but the guys have some pretty good visions, just have to wait and see if they work out. I am continuing to work with these guys to get more interest in pistol shooting.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Agreed, but one that's been building for a while. That neighbor is the reason they have the wooden shields at about 10 yards, limit .22s and handguns to the 50 yard end of the range, and have different height target stands for the different ends. There've been complaints about rounds ricocheting off the ground and going over the berm since the place opened up, and it appears that the SO basically brushed them off thus far.

That said, I fully expect to see it reopen before hunting season approaches. One of the reasons they built such a nice facility there is because during the time between the closing of the Monroe range and the opening of the current one, every fall the SO was constantly getting complaints of people shooting near houses right before hunting season; everyone was trying to check zero before opening day and since there was no range anywhere nearby...

I drove out there this evening to take a look. Just past the turnoff to the range gate, there's something resembling a logging road that wasn't there a few weeks ago. Just the kind of improvised roadway you'd expect to be used to haul in large amounts of dirt.

Top Bottom