OUR Tax Dollars hard at work

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I think he is right. A means of self defense is a much more valid expense than many other items EBT is used for.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I completely disagree. True a means of self defense is more valid than many other items, I just don't think there should be other items, other than food and basic necessities for children.

"If you or I have those rights, then they should as well. It’s not my place to tell them what to do" This is not telling them what to do, it's telling them what they can use benefit money for. . This is not money they earned privately, this is money given to them by the government, our tax money. They still have the same rights as I do, just not the right to use my money to buy firearms. I also don't want them using my money to buy alcohol, tobacco, heck, I don't even want them to be able to buy candy with it. Don't like not having candy, alcohol, tobacco, firearms? Then go make some money yourself, and you have the right to spend it how you wish.

I think of it this way, If I had a friend who was missing a paycheck or two, and was complaining about how he had no money for his family, and I gave him $1000 out of the goodness of my heart to help him and his family, and I found out he bought firearms or alcohol or tobacco, I'd be pretty upset. I also don't think it would be wrong of me to give him the $1000 and say "get food with this for you and your kids", telling him what to use the money for. It is given to him, not earned.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Snap is food only, its the supplemental nutrition something or other. EBT(as I understand it) can have SNAP funds, child support, and all kinds of other things on it.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    EBT is an electronic benefits card right? Does it separate what the funds can be used for? Or is that on the honor system. What I'm saying is, if SNAP, child support and SS go on the same card, how do you know SNAP money is not being spent on stuff besides food. While it is depressing to think someone is using child support for stuff other than for the child, that is between the father and the mother. If SNAP benefits are being used for alcohol, guns, ect., I think that should be illegal. SS money (not fraudulently obtained), unemployment money, child support, I see that as your money. Go spend it on a hooker for all I care. Food stamps, government assisted housing, that is my money, and I see no problem regulating it's use. I guess my problem (and confusion) with this is not the use of the EBT card to purchase firearms, but where the money that is filling that card came from.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    That is my point though, he isn't saying snap should be allowed to buy guns, he is saying EBT should be. Until they separate the two, I don't see how it is right to tell people what they can do with their ______.

tigerman248

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Here's what I took off the state site for EBT . It is for state benifits (welfare) nowhere that I saw did it say child support or other payments other then welfare

What is EBT?
    EBT is used in all states to issue food stamp benefits to recipients.
    Many states also issue cash benefits such as TANF (Temp assist. for needy families)using EBT.
    Recipients are issued an “EBT Card” similar to a bank ATM or debit card to receive and use their food stamp and/or cash benefits.
    Benefits are automatically deposited onto the card by the State.
    Recipients with food stamp benefits can use their EBT Card for eligible food purchases at most grocery stores and some other retailers. Food stamps can only be used for food and for plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat. Food stamps cannot be used to buy:

- Any nonfood item, such as pet foods, soaps, paper products, and household supplies, grooming items, toothpaste, and cosmetics.
    - Alcoholic beverages and tobacco.
    - Vitamins and medicines.
    Recipients with cash benefits can use their EBT Card like cash for purchases and cash-back with purchases at grocery stores and at most ATMs (automated teller machines).

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    from what I am seeing, EBT in Louisiana is only for state benefits, and if that is the case, you should not be able to buy guns with it as far as I am concerned. Food stamps and Temp. assistance are not funds that I think should be used for firearms. SS and unemployment are if you so choose, as you paid into that (in theory). In a nutshell, my line is, if it comes from tax money, it comes with strings. If you paid into it, (you do pay into unemployment as far as I am concerned), no strings, your money.

On a side note, according to what tigerman posted, Food stamps can be used for plants and seeds. I fully support that. That takes work.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Are you able to find a list of what all that card is actually for? I can't find one anywhere, just vague **** about "benefits"

I'm with you that SNAP and Temporary assistance shouldn't be used to buy guns, but I also think that self defense is a much better expense than 5 gallon buckets of ice cream and cheetos.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No need to squander more tax dollars with this. Use confiscated guns that are no longer needed as evidence! Have professional gunsmiths thoroughly inspect and certify the guns are in good working condition; and offer them for free to low or poverty income individuals that qualify if they so choose.

Now, the question of whether they should be formally trained before being able to get a free gun for personal defense can be debated. Since these parasites in state government make me jump through hoops of fire to tuck mine under a shirt, one could argue that a "Free ****" program gun recipient should too.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No need to squander more tax dollars with this. Use confiscated guns that are no longer needed as evidence! Have professional gunsmiths thoroughly inspect and certify the guns are in good working condition; and offer them for free to low or poverty income individuals that qualify if they so choose.

Now, the question of whether they should be formally trained before being able to get a free gun for personal defense can be debated. Since these parasites in state government make me jump through hoops of fire to tuck mine under a shirt, one could argue that a "Free ****" program gun recipient should too.

An innovative genius!

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Are you able to find a list of what all that card is actually for? I can't find one anywhere, just vague **** about "benefits"

I'm with you that SNAP and Temporary assistance shouldn't be used to buy guns, but I also think that self defense is a much better expense than 5 gallon buckets of ice cream and cheetos.

I can't find a link to provide that states what is on EBT, but it appears SS comes in a check or direct deposit to you account, and I know from personal experience that you get a chase debit card for unemployment. From what I was seeing, EBT is for government food assistance and temporary assistance only. Until I see something different, I think EBT should be regulated as to what you can buy, and in response to Until they separate the two, I don't see how it is right to tell people what to do with their stuff, well, I feel the only solution is to separate the funds, not allowing tax funds to be used on non-essential items. It is disturbing to think they dump all these benefits into one card and leave it at the discretion of the receiver to spend them appropriately.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I'll go a step further and say not only should EBT / SNAP funds be only for food. But it should only be for certain food! It pisses me off to see someone in front of me at the check out buying Ribeyes and Lobster tails and whip out a EBT card (my tax dollars) to pay for it. And I am buying ground meat, chicken & red beans to live within my budget and using cash I earned.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom