Out of state CCW permits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I've read several posts about out of state CCW permits being carried in Louisiana. It appears that these permits, though they have reciprocity in LA, are frowned upon. What's up with that - if true....

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Florida for example only prohibits VIOLENT felonies IIRC.

In other words some people on here may have had a Party Hard Period in their life and been busted for DUI or w/e

So they go to FL to get it.

They wouldnt be able to get one here In La due to there record, some people thinks this means they are a less than respectable citizen. I disagree, everyone screws up.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have never heard of out of state permits being any less valid than a louisiana permit. Who cares what individual people frown upon. Either its good or its not.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I understand the point you are trying to make. But no, most cops don't care what state your permit comes from. The ones that do probably won't be cool even with your Louisianna permit.

For what its worth, Ohio is ridiculously easy to get if you can find an Ohio instructor. One page front and back.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    These deals are by letter agreements between the state AG & Secretary of State and apply to individuals covered by the specific reciprocity agreement.
    Some states require that the carrier be licensed in his home state for reciprocity.
    You had better look at the individual state website to make sure.
    Right, many cops don't care as long as you aren't a criminal. But, you can be arrested, jailed, and charged even if you are perfectly legal. I am not a lawyer but
    looked into this a while back. Some serious types will have a Texas permit, a Florida permit, and a New Hampshire permit to take advantage of the most reciprocity available.
    leVieux

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Hmm.if your a felon in La and have a permit from another state that gave it to you,I think you w/still be hooked up.Its against the law in La to be a convicted felon[especially w/in the last 5 yrs] and carry a weapon.....This is directly from the La laws,ect.....You must be able to buy a gun in Louisiana in order to carry one....so to speak..... ...If im not mistaken or understanding this incorrectly......

kemo

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    You must be able to buy a gun in Louisiana in order to carry one.
    Yep.

Also, one must obey the laws of the state in which you reside, if those laws differ from the state which issued the permit. For example, my Florida permit is a CWFL (Concealed Weapon or Firearm License) which allows concealment of additional weapons besides firearms. In Florida, that is. While in LA, I may only conceal handguns as provided by LA law.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I think the OP was referring to LEO snubbing his nose at permits other than those from his home state. WHile there will of course be those who do, generally you will find LEO who either supports CHP or does not. To each one respectively, it won't matter what state it is from.

What you might also find is that certain localities such a the City of New Orleans,and the Parish of Jefferson, have their own local permits. Sometimes these are looked down upon given the political nature of who gets them. many guys look at them like the "Honorary Commissions" that are given out in some areas.

FWIW, I have not heard a lot of guys talking negatively about CHP in this area. FOr the most part LEO here treats a gun like a gun like a gun..given the current violent crime increase. The only time you have to worry is if you are carrying concealed with no CHP, are a felon or drug dealer with a firearm, or if your weapon is stolen.

An unfortunate benefit for us CHP holders is that LEO is getting much more used to the average "citizen" having a firearm inthe vehicle or a CHP. This is good for 2nd Ammendment but really says something about our society. Kinda of like a silver lining. I have personally seen an increase in vehicle weapons by legal possessors and after talking with people at the gun show, the predominant reason for interest is a fear of crime.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Same response. I don't care what a cop frowns upon. Either I am legal or I am not.

Careful, that attitude can get you arrested for Open Carry. ;)

I<SNIP>
    FWIW, I have not heard a lot of guys talking negatively about CHP in this area. FOr the most part LEO here treats a gun like a gun like a gun..given the current violent crime increase. The only time you have to worry is if you are carrying concealed with no CHP, are a felon or drug dealer with a firearm, or if your weapon is stolen.

An unfortunate benefit for us CHP holders is that LEO is getting much more used to the average "citizen" having a firearm inthe vehicle or a CHP. This is good for 2nd Ammendment but really says something about our society. Kinda of like a silver lining. I have personally seen an increase in vehicle weapons by legal possessors and after talking with people at the gun show, the predominant reason for interest is a fear of crime.

Sad but true. I had a conversation with my wife along these lines recently. She said maybe it wasn't a good idea living somewhere where you felt you HAD to carry all the time. I countered with the argument that good people need to stand up to evil and not run away from it; besides, headlines these days point to needing to carry just about everywhere in the country.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I've had two professional encounters where I had to advise LEO of my CHP (FL, btw), one just glanced at it and my ID and nodded and handed it back, the other, several times, asked why I had an FL permit if I was an LA resident even though he made it obvious he knew it was legal. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way but whatever. I was more peeved at why I was stopped even though it was my fault.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    The only time I had to show it was to LSP after being stopped for expired brake tag. After looking at it he said "Florida, huh?". I thought about saying it was accepted in LA, but kept my mouth shut. It must not have bothered him too much as he told me to get a new tag and let me go with no ticket.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    How do you go about getting a Florida Permit, the only reason I am interested is becuause I here it is cheaper and lasts longer.

Thanks

Rainman

Justified!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Near I-55 & I-12
    There are advantages to getting it through FL. instead of LA.

7 years - $117 vs. 4 years - $100

If you have a LA permit and you move out of state it is no longer valid, with FL permit if you move out of state you send in paperwork with change of address (another words you didn't waste money like with the LA. permit).

I was even told that after your 4 years were up with LA. permit you go through it all over to renew, class included. With FL. permit you just send in paperwork/forms after 7 years for renewing.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    The only time you have to worry is if you are carrying concealed with no CHP

The constitutionality of regulated concealed handgun carry remains a matter of some debate in the wake of Heller.

Basically, you have a fundamental constitutional right that can only be infringed on in the narrowest of compelling state interests. It's widely acknowledged a person running around open carry doesn't need any regulation. There is absolutely no logic in the premise that the same person needs to be regulated if he conceals his weapon.

If the Founding Fathers had deemed the general public in need of regulation for the possession of concealed guns, they would have worded the Second Amendment with a clause saying so. And commas. The would have put in more commas.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    There are advantages to getting it through FL. instead of LA.

7 years - $117 vs. 4 years - $100

If you have a LA permit and you move out of state it is no longer valid, with FL permit if you move out of state you send in paperwork with change of address (another words you didn't waste money like with the LA. permit).

I was even told that after your 4 years were up with LA. permit you go through it all over to renew, class included. With FL. permit you just send in paperwork/forms after 7 years for renewing.

In LA after 4 yrs. you have to fill out some paper work take a refesher course and take a new picture. And pay your money. I've renewed 3 times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom