Out-of-State licenses

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    Okay, I did a forum search on this while waiting for my account to be activated and I think the answer was just what I already thought....but, just so we are clear:

A neighbor of mine and his son in Morehouse Parish took a chl class about a month ago and were told by the instructor that Louisiana does not recognize out-of-state (Florida) CHL/CWL licenses. This instructor said they recently changed the law to reflect this.
    I have always heard that people up in North Louisiana got Florida licenses because, until about a year or two ago, Arkansas did not have reciprocity with Louisiana...but Florida did. I have never heard anything to the contrary besides this statement told to my neighbor by his CHL instructor.

The reason I ask this is because I am about to finish moving (building a house) to Morehouse Parish from Houston, Texas. I currently have a Texas and a Florida CHL. Both states will allow me to change to an out of state residence and keep my CHLs and I was certain, until hearing this, that Louisiana would recognize them too.

Are Florida and other Out of State licenses (for LA residents) legal in Louisiana?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    But your already taking his class, so i do not see that would offer him much more business.

As many have said, he is obviously wrong.

It could because students will tell friends, family, etc that you must get an LA permit and subsequently refer them to him.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When Sgt. Starnes was in charge of the LSP CHP, he told me that the biggest headache he had was instructors giving out wrong information. It bothered him more than the mountain of paperwork his office handles on a daily basis.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana

Just so we are clear,these links are discussing reciprosity with other states. A person from another state using their own state's license in another state. Not a person in their own state getting an out of state license for use there.
    There are some states (I think Alabama is one) tha forbid getting Florida licenses and other states that allow non-residents to get permits.

Ray Adams

Ray
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    If I am to become a permanent resident here in Baton Rouge, and it appears that I am. I will get a permit here. I have a Georgia License, and Non resident permits for Virginia and Utah. Since I open carry 95% of the time it really doesn't matter. I just prefer to cover all bases. All three of the ones I have are good here anyway. I find that as long as you are behaving, no one is going to bother you anyway. I have my experiences over the last 36 yrs of carrying one, all turned out fine. Leo's are becoming more and more educated on the gun laws all the time. The public needs more education. We all just want to do the right thing, thats best for everyone.

Top Bottom