Over-penetration? Really?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I never understood why some people will handicap themselves so much as to even load birdshot into their HD shotguns for fear of "over-penetration". Why not just refuse to use a firearm for the risk of missing, at that point?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/it_raining_lead_in_harlem_ISB87yqtPOQzqrT6ekPdGI

(Please note that there were no collateral casualties even though only 14 of 84 rounds connected...in Harlem.)

Aside from that, this is a very sad/****ed up story, and just another example of how shitty some people are, that they would do this to their own mother and sister.

Keep your weapons close--and loaded with something substantial. Animals exist in 2-legged form, too.

Last edited:

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I could make a snide comment on the ability of cops to shoot straight. This has happened many times. The cops open fire at close range and miss after multiple shots fired.

But what I really think is this is a good example of the difference between shooting at targets and shooting at someone who's shooting back at you. I can't imagine the amount of adrenalin that's flowing not to mention the stress of being shot at.

As to the OP's point... I totally agree... SD shotty=00 Buck, slug, 00 buck, slug etc .... Pistol = high velocity hp's. At least that's how mine are set up

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Are we talking about penetration of people or inanimate objects (drywall, wood, cars, doors, etc.) ?

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    70 ft with a pistol is a VERY long shot, even in controlled environment. With adrenaline and danger I'm surprised they hit him that many times. After the first mag each, if the BG is still standing, you need to assess the situation and try to gain some advantage. What was their plan for running out of ammo? Then what? I'm just glad (surprised) the article wasn't full of misinformation and fear jargon. Heck they even used the term magazine instead of clip. lol.

g

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    70 ft with a pistol is a VERY long shot, even in controlled environment. With adrenaline and danger I'm surprised they hit him that many times. After the first mag each, if the BG is still standing, you need to assess the situation and try to gain some advantage. What was their plan for running out of ammo? Then what? I'm just glad (surprised) the article wasn't full of misinformation and fear jargon. Heck they even used the term magazine instead of clip. lol.

g

We are talking a 16% hit rate at less than 25 yards and 84 tries. If I was a cop, and that was me, I would be asking myself some serious questions after this.

I'm not trying to say I'm awesome, but I'd want to think pretty hard about what went wrong.

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    Ssssooooo let me get this straight. He kills his half sister, shoots his mom, and shot at the police and we the taxpayers pay for him to have surgery? I'm confused. Let that pos bleed out right were he laid.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Ssssooooo let me get this straight. He kills his half sister, shoots his mom, and shot at the police and we the taxpayers pay for him to have surgery? I'm confused. Let that pos bleed out right were he laid.

+1

As to the 16% hit ratio, check this out, and take range and time of day into account:
    http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf

NYPD GUNFIGHT STATISTICS
    1990-2000
    NYPD SOP-9
    YEAR
    NYPD GUNFIGHT
    HIT PROBABILITY
    NYPD SHOTS FIRED PER GUNFIGHT
    NYPD SHOTS FIRED PER OFFICER
    19%
    15%
    17%