Oysters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Would you guys still eat them? The whole "months with an "r"" thing. Vibrio vulnificus grows above 70F water temp, which we're past.

But I have a severe craving for charbroiled oysters. I guess grilling them would kill the Vibrio anyway?

I want some, thinking about buying a sack tomorrow...

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    From the CDC:

Some tips for preventing V. vulnificus infections, particularly among immunocompromised patients, including those with underlying liver disease:

Do not eat raw oysters or other raw shellfish.
    Cook shellfish (oysters, clams, mussels) thoroughly.
    For shellfish in the shell, either a) boil until the shells open and continue boiling for 5 more minutes, or b) steam until the shells open and then continue cooking for 9 more minutes. Do not eat those shellfish that do not open during cooking. Boil shucked oysters at least 3 minutes, or fry them in oil at least 10 minutes at 375°F.
    Avoid cross-contamination of cooked seafood and other foods with raw seafood and juices from raw seafood.
    Eat shellfish promptly after cooking and refrigerate leftovers.
    Avoid exposure of open wounds or broken skin to warm salt or brackish water, or to raw shellfish harvested from such waters.
    Wear protective clothing (e.g., gloves) when handling raw shellfish.

It mentions boiling and frying, but I think you'd probably be ok with char grilling too.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Vibrio is nasty ****. If youre immunocompromised, id stay away from uncooked. Restaurant has to give that warning for a reason. Good info above

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    We shuck and eat raw oysters all year. I try and grab a sac whenever I'm fishing in an area with oyster boats. With modern refrigeration getting sick is not much of a concern. Oysters are saltier during the colder months. As long as you have a reliable source you trust to get you fresh oysters and keep them cold then risk is very minimal. I've only known one person who's gotten sick, ever, out of thousands upon thousands of oysters.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    From the CDC:

Some tips for preventing V. vulnificus infections, particularly among immunocompromised patients, including those with underlying liver disease:

Do not eat raw oysters or other raw shellfish.
    Cook shellfish (oysters, clams, mussels) thoroughly.
    For shellfish in the shell, either a) boil until the shells open and continue boiling for 5 more minutes, or b) steam until the shells open and then continue cooking for 9 more minutes. Do not eat those shellfish that do not open during cooking. Boil shucked oysters at least 3 minutes, or fry them in oil at least 10 minutes at 375°F.
    Avoid cross-contamination of cooked seafood and other foods with raw seafood and juices from raw seafood.
    Eat shellfish promptly after cooking and refrigerate leftovers.
    Avoid exposure of open wounds or broken skin to warm salt or brackish water, or to raw shellfish harvested from such waters.
    Wear protective clothing (e.g., gloves) when handling raw shellfish.

It mentions boiling and frying, but I think you'd probably be ok with char grilling too.

The CDC also says that aspartame is safe...

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not immunocompromised, not looking to eat them raw.

How about you locals? You grill them year round? Should I go for it?

From the CDC:

Boil shucked oysters at least 3 minutes, or fry them in oil at least 10 minutes at 375°F.

Fry the for TEN MINUTES? Thanks, I'll have rubber mulch instead.

I usually put them on the grill for just a few minutes, until the cheese melts. The equivalent of 10 minutes of deep frying would be what?, an hour on the grill?

I think I'll wait until November...

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    We shuck and eat raw oysters all year. I try and grab a sac whenever I'm fishing in an area with oyster boats. With modern refrigeration getting sick is not much of a concern. Oysters are saltier during the colder months. As long as you have a reliable source you trust to get you fresh oysters and keep them cold then risk is very minimal. I've only known one person who's gotten sick, ever, out of thousands upon thousands of oysters.

The bug's on them before they come out the water. Unless you know tons of people with compromised immune systems or liver disease eating them, I wouldnt expect youd see much of it. It's still not super common in those populations, but it can be a life threatening infection, so

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Well, there's this:
    http://www.ameripure.com/
    I know Ralph and Kacoo's serves em.
    process_large.png

ldn0125

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Not scientific or backed by research . . . that is my disclaimer --

The Oyster Festival was this weekend in New Orleans. If the people of south Louisiana really thought eating oysters right now (the last few days) was harmful, it is doubtful there would be a big festival where hundreds of dozens (and more) would be consumed. The oyster eating champ consumed 24 dozen raw (I believe that is the number I saw reported).

headcase

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Metairie, LA.
    I eat them year round, raw in cool weather and grilled or fried anytime. Oysters seem to be smaller in hot weather and saltier in cold weather. If you are not immuno compromised, i'd go for it. The month with the "R" thing was for when they weren't refrigerated after being harvested. Now, all harvesters have to keep them refrigerated almost from the minute their brought on board. Oysters at the festival in N.O. this weekend were great. Bi valves rule!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is no reason NOT to eat these year round! Want to know what the "r" means in months with "r" myth? Retards! Cause that's who keeps perpetuating that silliness.

True, Vibrio is a real issue, but so is Norovirus. Healthy individuals should fear a noroviral outbreak more than Vibrio. But, the bottom line is if you have a compromised immune system you are an idiot if you don't know not to eat raw molluscan shellfish.

The state of Louisiana has a massive tracking system to recall oysters for noro viuas, but that usually happens after the fact. Someone usually has to get sick to trigger an investigation; unless they suspect it. Other problems that can cause recall or no eat orders are red tide, and heavy rainfall.

If you buy raw oysters, make sure the tag remains with the sack. This tag is the most important part of the sack. It tells when and where the oysters were harvested.

Oysters are often blamed for any gastrointestinal problems that arise from dining out in restaurants. Though chicken is 100 times more likely to get you sick if you ate oyster with some chicken dish.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I eat them year round, raw in cool weather and grilled or fried anytime. Oysters seem to be smaller in hot weather and saltier in cold weather. If you are not immuno compromised, i'd go for it. The month with the "R" thing was for when they weren't refrigerated after being harvested. Now, all harvesters have to keep them refrigerated almost from the minute their brought on board. Oysters at the festival in N.O. this weekend were great. Bi valves rule!

This is true to a certain extent! There are varying timelines that are used. Those oysters shipped out of state must be refrigerated much sooner from harvest than those that stay in state and/or are for shucking.

Top Bottom