Paid for Twice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    In 1943 Germany ordered 60,000 Astra Model 600 pistols chambered in 9mm for the German Military. Designated by the Germans as the model 600/43, shipments began in May 1944 with a total of 10,450 guns delivered in three shipments by July before the allied invasion of Southern France cut off supply lines from Spain.

A total of 59,400 pistols were manufactured to fulfill the German contract between 1943 and 1945. In addition to the 10,450 already delivered to the German Military in France, an additional 31,350 had been completed and paid for and were sent to the Spanish Government Armory in Burgos for storage along with the remaining balance of the production.

Post war reconstruction of West Germany saw a need for guns to rearm the new West German Police and a request was made by the new West German Government for the delivery of the remaining pistols which had previously been paid for.

Spain's position was these guns had been ordered and paid for by a Government no longer in existence, but they were available for sale... for a price.

West Germany purchased 31,350 of the guns, followed later by an additional purchase of the remaining 14,000 (3,550 had been sold to other buyers).

This pistol is one of the 41,800 that were paid for by Germany in 1944 and subsequently purchased by West Germany in the 1950's.

Surplussed in the 1960's, this gun was part of a large number that found their way to the U.S. before the 1968 FAA required importation stamps, complete with one matching magazine and the original matching # Spanish made contract holster.

The Model 600/43 is considered to be extremely well made and very accurate. Arguably, the design was vastly superior in many respects to the P.38 and P.08 then in service with the German Military.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Very interesting.
    My great uncle has an Astra 9mm 600 in the box wrapped in oiled wax paper.
    When you refer to "this one" I assume you were able to trace the pistol's path some way or another, or is that basically how they all got here?
    If you were able to trace it I may be interested in researching his.
    Also if you don't mind what would be the approximate value of your Astra?

Thanks

Last edited:

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Astra kept detailed records. Len Antaris wrote the definitive book on the brand and was allowed full access to the factory archives.

The model 600 was designed and intended to fill a German order, as mentioned above and all were manufactured between 1943-45.

Serial #1-50 were cutaways and dealer samples provided to the Oberkommando des Heeres for trial and acceptance. Ser# 51-10,500 were delivered to the German army. #10,501-41,850 were the first lot to go to the West German Police. #41,851-45,400 were exported for commercial and military sales and #45,401-59,400 were the final lot sent to the West German Police.

Details of #41,851-45,400 including shipping dates are listed in Antaris' book, "Astra Automatic Pistols".

With 90%+ bluing remaining and in overall NRA Excellent condition, two magazines (one of which is matching # to the gun), and the original Spanish contract holster, my pistol should fetch between $500-600.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    I have one of the original contract.
    My grandfather brough it back from the war.

He said officers kept stealing his Lugars and P38's, so he brought one back none of them wanted.

The German army accepted group of 600's are probably the most widely sought after and bring a premium because of their association with service, however the most valuable (at least at auction), are the rarest ones -- those sold commercially -- especially if they have still have their original boxes, paperwork and accessories.

It's guns like these that brought me into the C&R world. I enjoy the history most of all, especially if it has a little twist or some irony.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The German army accepted group of 600's are probably the most widely sought after and bring a premium because of their association with service, however the most valuable (at least at auction), are the rarest ones -- those sold commercially -- especially if they have still have their original boxes, paperwork and accessories.

It's guns like these that brought me into the C&R world. I enjoy the history most of all, especially if it has a little twist or some irony.

I also enjoy the historical guns.... Have quite a few C&R's

This one is never being sold however.

Top Bottom