PC Gurus, is this a good replacement for my PC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lately my desktop has been shutting down unexpectedly for no reason. I opened up the tower and checked all connections and blew out all the dust bunnies with a can of compressed air. Still no luck. Now I am in the market for a new desktop. Browsing newegg I came across these "barebones/mini computers" Basically all I use my desktop for is to browse the internet, check email, and sometimes watch streaming videos and youtube. I dont download or watch torrents/music, or play any games on the desktop. Would this system below be a good replacement for my desktop? Also, I have high speed cable which goes into my modem then out of the modem in CAT 5 to router. Out of one slot in my router goes CAT 5 to my desktops motherboard. Does the system blow have a CAT 5 input slot? What if I want to use a DVD or CD with this system? How do I install windows? I figure it would be cheaper to go this route then to get a power supply, motherboard, RAM, processor and video card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173023

EDIT; See post 3

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Looks ok, but I'd rather see you buy a netbook for the money. Windows would have to be downloaded off the net I guess.

Sometimes the problem is just a power cable or bad power supply.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That's much better than the first one you posted.

BTW, check prices on MWave.com also. Prices are usually similar but customer service has been fantastic (they've gone above and beyond for me a few times now).

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I had a desktop that started randomly shutting down too. After driving me nuts I finally figured out that one of my ram sticks had gone bad. I had to put them in one at a time and keeps waiting for failure. Maybe that's your problem, maybe it's not.

If you really want to go the new computer route I have a new motherboard you can have.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    outlet.dell.com

I build all of my own PC's, but refuse to build a PC for anyone else because I do not want to become their lifetime tech support. I also have several around the house, so if one breaks, it's no big deal. If you only have one, and you want/need it to work, and you do not feel comfortable rebuilding or replacing parts as needed, consider the Dell refurb site. They have decent deals on slightly experienced PC's, and the PC's include support if you need it. If you build on your own, you will be supporting it on your own. Be sure you can, before you do. Just my 2cents.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    You might also check tigerdirect.com

My son-in-law had one of those mini tower things but it only lasted little over year. I am pretty sure you can connect a laptop to an external monitor. If it was me I would find a laptop priced about what that mini tower costs and just hook it to your external monitor, you would have a better system I think.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The second link looks much better, but like mentioned above you can get much better pre built set ups... Especially if you just want a tower, not monitor and all. Check Best Buy sales and also check tiger direct. Newegg will have just towers too. IMO you can stay in that same price range and get something prebuilt that probably has slightly better specs and includes some sort of warranty. My mom wrecked her computer a few months back and I found her an HP for $420 out the door brand new at best buy. Had 4gb ddr 3 ram, 1TB HD, and a 2.8 (I think) processor. Also had key board, mouse, and a 20 inch LED monitor with it...

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    1 S458-1401 ECS A75F-A AMD Hudson D3 Socket FM1 Motherboard $84.99
    1 C19-7014 RENDITION BY CRUCIAL 4096MB DDR3 PC10600 1333MHZ $17.99
    1 A79-3870 AMD QUAD-CORE A8-3870K 3.0GHZ APU +RADEON HD6550D $139.99
    1 TSD-320AAKX IM WD Caviar 320GB SATA-3G HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G $79.99
    1 A406-8000 XION Mid Tower Case w/ 500 Watt Power Supply $49.99

1 Windows 7 64Bit. I got this from Best Buy bc i have a $50 gift card. $75.34 (after taxes - $50)

Total build $423

Heres what I went with. I probably could have done better, but im tired of using the laptop for daily computer needs. For some reason I really dont like Laptops. I think its the keyboards I despose so much.

Top Bottom