PC/Wireless internet question for the guru's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    How long should a wireless router last? I think my second one has **** the bed. That makes 2 Linksys dead in the last few years. My wireless connection has been getting worse and worse lately, making me reboot/restart modem/restart router in order to get my connection back. I used to just do it all in order, but now I pay attention and it seems the router reset is what gets me back on. Any hardier brands out there? I went with Linksys because it was, at the time, one of the few compatible with Xbox's wireless adapter so I'm not married to the brand or anything. ;)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No problem, FWIW, I have a net gear that has lasted me about 3 years, I like their products over linksys. Also some of the equipment I install is based on netgear routers, specifically the first one on that list, and out of the 100+ I've installed, I've never had a problem.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I've owned belkin, linksys, and netgear routers over the years. The netgear is the only one that still works, and I've been using it for about 6 years now while my friends that don't listen keep burning through linksys's. Mine was the first type N netgear released, so I still don't need to upgrade it either. I actually consider that router my luckiest tech buy ever.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Heat is usually the killer especially with LinkSys. +1 on the Netgear stuff.

This. Do not stack the router/modem/whatever else you have on top of each other. Don't put them in small confined spaces. Make sure the vent holes are not blocked. I have a 7 year old Linksys that still works and before that I had a net gear that was on 5 years before I decided to upgrade. I just upgraded again and expect 5+ years out of this one. I usually upgrade before they die. This rule goes for any piece of electronic equipment.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll try a Netgear. I gotta think that by now most new routers are Xbox compatible. As far as heat, both my router and modem sit atop a small bookcase in my air conditioned office, so I really don't think heat had anything to do with it's demise.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I used to only run the Linksys WRT54g they lasted forever w/o issue and then they changed em up and they started to suck.

Been using the asus 66u that's on that list for a few months now and couldn't be happier. I also have a linksys/cisco wrt54g2 that's been running a few years now. It's been reflashed with dd-wrt and only works as a bridge for the non wireless stuff in my tv cabinet (xbox, dish box, etc) so not a true test for normal use.

jgreg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Independence LA
    Just bought a net gear it has a lifetime warranty others I looked at did not working great added extender net gear also to feed my sons xbox next house over working great their also

Top Bottom