Pediatrician visit and gun question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    :dogkeke:

You're welcome to not answer the question or lie and say no, but bringing up various safety issues for individuals around kids is appropriate medical practice. Maybe the thimerosal or fluoride is just getting to my head though

Or maybe they have no business what so ever asking the question in the first place.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Probably shouldn't ask about pools either. That's an attack on our pursuit of happiness. The only reasonable argument to be made against asking about proper gun storage is that it will deter parents who belong to the "health professionals are conspiring against gun owners" camp from obtaining medical care for their children

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    What concerned me was that right now the nurse is asking the question... later I'm afraid it will be a questionnaire that we have to complete and sign, along with the appropriate small print making it illegal to lie on the form.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    My previous post was poorly phrased. I think you'll find a disconnect between the physicians practicing in the community and ivory tower physicians that drive the formation of some policy statements that are poorly rooted in evidence (or firmly rooted in poorly conceived research). They tend to lean much further liberally (an additional example would be AMA endorsement of the ACA). If I was concerned that my pediatrician/PCP was inappropriately motivated in their questioning (e.g. asking only about firearms without due diligence to other issues), I would be seeking care elsewhere. Compromising physician-patient relationship for personal reasons translates to bad juju in other areas imo, but I don't think the AAP opinion translates into a big shift for most practitioners. As someone believing most felons should retain their right to firearms, CCL's should be shall issue everywhere, etc., I'm still strongly of the belief the topic should be brought up in the clinic. Going to bed, but I'll check the thread tomorrow

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Probably shouldn't ask about pools either. That's an attack on our pursuit of happiness. The only reasonable argument to be made against asking about proper gun storage is that it will deter parents who belong to the "health professionals are conspiring against gun owners" camp from obtaining medical care for their children
    That's the big key right there.

The AMA and other medical associations report on common risks and dangers that actually result in the death of children of statistical significance. Guns and pools kill enough kids to warrant attention. That's not to say they're bad things, just that those great things coupled with stupid parents... are bad things, and so the medical community sees fit to warn/educate parents in the helps of benefiting children's lives and health. I don't see much problem with it, really.

I do have a problem with a few statements/releases the head-level AMA has made that /is/ anti-gun, though. But the feet-on-the-ground doctors... I don't think that's ever a problem. There's a metric poop load of general practice doctors and pediatricians and if you don't like one, or he says something you don't like, you're free to find one you do like. I didn't like my kid's first pediatrician, for unrelated reasons, and found one I do like. He's never asked me about guns. I figure any doc in Lafayette shouldn't even bother. He'd only get one "no" out of 100, and it'd be safe to assume he's bluffing, or if it's a she, she just don't know her boyfriend/husband keeps one in his dresser.

Edit: looks like rtr_rtr made the point with better words.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I would agree with this statement if YOU can assure me when MR. BG comes through the front door he will give me adequate time to UNSECURE my SECURED protection!!

Legislate and regulate YOUR KIDS......NOT MY GUNS!!
    It is as simple as awareness and training......

KT

"In use" is a key phrase here. I lock my bedroom (keyed) at night as well.

I don't jive with locking all guns away and hoping you can get to them before the BG gets to you either.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    The medical field does several things that are somewhat understandable yet are a pain in the ass all while charging you as drape prices to do it!
    My wife woke me up at 1 am when she was almost 7 months pregnant and we made a mad dash to the hospital in record time. As I am getting her in the emergency entrance and trying to explain what was happening, the bastards made me wait outside so they could ask her if she felt safe and all that crap! She was bleeding with my first born and I am supposed o wait in the hall while you ask stupid questions? WTF? I understand there are some crazy people out there but that about made me blow my lid! The only thing tht got my mind off I it was I also had to remove the truck fom the doorway of the emergency entrance so the flashlight detail cop would quit whining.
    As far as I am concerned it is nobody's business what guns are in my house and a doctor of all people has no right to ask questions about it without reason.
    But it is a double standard. I don't remember ever being asked whether I was scared off wife or anything when I was in the hospital for injury. Only question I remember is how did you do THAT?

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    It was reported that this question would be making its way to the pre-care forms. It is said to have something to do with this healthcare crap, but I'm not 100%.

All this talk about "well its for the safety of the kid", no its not! The doc doesn't need to know anything about your firearms. OR pool for that matter. It does not affect their treatment. "possibilities" don't equal prescriptions, symptoms do.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This question is being asked at the behest of the AAP and the AAP is very anti-gun, though they have begun hiding it better lately. I have only encountered one anti-gun pediatrician and we did not return to him. As a former nurse, I know that the majority of psychiatrists I worked around were anti-gun as well as the majority of psych professionals in general. I have HEARD that the same is true of pediatricians, but I don't have the personal experience or any data to back it up. That said, I don't care. They have NO BUSINESS asking me about my firearms. I know where the question originated and until I know where the data they are gathering is being sent or the reasons for them gathering it, they can go kick rocks.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Brought my daughter today to the pediatrician. They are in the process of switching to an electronic records system. The nurse had us fill out new insurance info, no biggie. When we got in the examining room they start asking other questions... smoke detectors, pets, etc. about half way down she says 'you don't have to answer this one but are there any guns in the house'. I replied with 'none of your business', she laughed and said that they get that a lot...

It's stupid. Required questions. Soon it will become mandatory that things like this be answered, and your insurance policies (I insure my collection) are available for review and may well be reviewed to trap you in a lie, etc.

Not today.
    Not tomorrow.
    But we are headed for a bad place.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This question is being asked at the behest of the AAP and the AAP is very anti-gun, though they have begun hiding it better lately. I have only encountered one anti-gun pediatrician and we did not return to him. As a former nurse, I know that the majority of psychiatrists I only personally know one. She is a bow-shooter and her husband is a former LE, and she is very pro-gun. Sample of one... I worked around were anti-gun as well as the majority of psych professionals in general. I have HEARD that the same is true of pediatricians, but I don't have the personal experience or any data to back it up. That said, I don't care. They have NO BUSINESS asking me about my firearms. I know where the question originated and until I know where the data they are gathering is being sent or the reasons for them gathering it, they can go kick rocks.

Most of the MD's I talk to are pro-gun. Some even carry. Many have showed me hog-hunting photos, etc. of them hunting together.

Definitely a majority seem against Obamacare. Many have closed their practices because of it and their constantly escalating costs.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It was reported that this question would be making its way to the pre-care forms. It is said to have something to do with this healthcare crap, but I'm not 100%.

All this talk about "well its for the safety of the kid", no its not! The doc doesn't need to know anything about your firearms. OR pool for that matter. It does not affect their treatment. "possibilities" don't equal prescriptions, symptoms do.

Huge +1

This "risk factor" crap is what drives WIC through the floor, IMO.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    :dogkeke:

You're welcome to not answer the question or lie and say no, but bringing up various safety issues for individuals around kids is appropriate medical practice. Maybe the thimerosal or fluoride is just getting to my head though

I think you'll notice that most people are going to consider that a little too intrusive.

.....And Bama is going to lose 2 games this season. :D

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Who appointed doctors to be safety guys? Practice medicine, which is where your training is, and leave the safety to others.

I don't go see a doc when my steps need to be fixed. Stick to your specialty.

on an interesting note, as of now at least, who will be running/monitoring the health care insurance?

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I think you'll notice that most people are going to consider that a little too intrusive.

.....And Bama is going to lose 2 games this season. :D

It's possible :) Pretty disappointed in the difficulty of our schedule, but those 2 games could definitely go either way

Who appointed doctors to be safety guys? Practice medicine, which is where your training is, and leave the safety to others.

I don't go see a doc when my steps need to be fixed. Stick to your specialty.

on an interesting note, as of now at least, who will be running/monitoring the health care insurance?

I think it falls within pediatrician scope of practice to provide new parent education on baby-proofing/kid-proofing, etc. There aren't many people who have routine contact with new parents to provide age appropriate safety education. I don't think I understand your last question, unless the answer is private insurers, CMS, and TRICARE

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The medical field does several things that are somewhat understandable yet are a pain in the ass all while charging you as drape prices to do it!
    My wife woke me up at 1 am when she was almost 7 months pregnant and we made a mad dash to the hospital in record time. As I am getting her in the emergency entrance and trying to explain what was happening, the bastards made me wait outside so they could ask her if she felt safe and all that crap! She was bleeding with my first born and I am supposed o wait in the hall while you ask stupid questions? WTF? I understand there are some crazy people out there but that about made me blow my lid! The only thing tht got my mind off I it was I also had to remove the truck fom the doorway of the emergency entrance so the flashlight detail cop would quit whining.
    As far as I am concerned it is nobody's business what guns are in my house and a doctor of all people has no right to ask questions about it without reason.
    But it is a double standard. I don't remember ever being asked whether I was scared off wife or anything when I was in the hospital for injury. Only question I remember is how did you do THAT?

Sadly, we have to pretend that everyone is the lowest common denominator, or we could get sued. Then we couldn't take care of anybody, as we would lose all funding, JCAHO accreditation, etc.

So to protect your care, we have to do ********, in other words. This is also the reason so many "UN-necessary" tests are performed. Every action an MD takes must be defensible in a court of law with hard test-data and documentation, should they be sued. Therefore, common-sense gives way to "What if...one in a million..." and you end up with serial CT scans and all sorts of things that cost $$$$, so that you cannot prove negligence or malpractice in a court of law.

This is part of why it is costing more and more and more to get healthcare/insurance. This is why people complain "It didn't used to be like this!" No...it didn't. Everyone wasn't always looking for "free money", and there were less tests available to throw at "covering our ass".

It really frustrates me to see it, and I've been a victim of it, myself. We don't get preferential treatment just because we work for a hospital. I pay the same $$ you do when you go to the ER. I have ER admitting come and take my credit-card out of my pocket while I'm laying on the exam table with a HR in the 130's and BP in the 190's and get my signature by holding the receipt in my face and all but grabbing my hand and "helping" me sign it (I think they would have if necessary) while I'm doped up on ativan and barely able to write for my several hundred $$ downpayment on my care just like you do.

Last edited:

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    They aren't asking if you have "properly secured firearms" in your home. And good medical practice does not include an evaluation or education in securing firearms.
    uta4abu2.jpg

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    LACamper, I believe this is specific to your daughters Peds. While they are not prohibited from asking, it's not required, yet.

There are still some in the medical field that use common sense instead of following like a sheep.

The real issue is any questions asked when your child is not in your presence, school etc. My little one knows not to share or volunteer certain information to those "well meaning teachers, etc..

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    It's possible :) Pretty disappointed in the difficulty of our schedule, but those 2 games could definitely go either way

I think it falls within pediatrician scope of practice to provide new parent education on baby-proofing/kid-proofing, etc. There aren't many people who have routine contact with new parents to provide age appropriate safety education. I don't think I understand your last question, unless the answer is private insurers, CMS, and TRICARE

The IRS, as it is now, will have some oversight. How much? Let's just say their track record isn't very good at the moment for not over stepping their bounds.

They aren't asking if you have "properly secured firearms" in your home. And good medical practice does not include an evaluation or education in securing firearms.
    uta4abu2.jpg

I agree with you, how ever it begs the question of why ask if they will not get advice?
    Who does the information go to in the end? That is something no one can seem to answer.

Top Bottom