Permit approval question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southern guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Rayne louisiana
    13 years ago I was charged with possesion with intent to distribute methamphetamine and possesion of Marijuana. Wrong place at the wrong time type of thing. Anyway I sat in jail for 6 months and took a plea bargain charge to get out. The court minutes document reads that the methamphetamine charge was dropped and I took the amended charge of misdemeanor possesion of Marijuana. This is the only thing on my record. I sent in all the proper paperwork with the application. Does anyone think I will get denied for this ???

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I think you will be denied.

Side question for those that know: Will a misdemeanor possession charge prohibit someone from possessing a firearm in Louisiana? Also, will it trigger a NICS denial?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    13 years ago I was charged with possesion with intent to distribute methamphetamine and possesion of Marijuana. Wrong place at the wrong time type of thing. Anyway I sat in jail for 6 months and took a plea bargain charge to get out. The court minutes document reads that the methamphetamine charge was dropped and I took the amended charge of misdemeanor possesion of Marijuana. This is the only thing on my record. I sent in all the proper paperwork with the application. Does anyone think I will get denied for this ???

I'm guessing that you've already legally bought a pistol from lets say from Kenny by the track's, Did you have any problems or waiting period then?

Southern guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Rayne louisiana
    I have purchased a few pistols from gun shops in the past. I could not get it the same day. They would normally call me back in a couple days and tell me to come pick it up.

Southern guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Rayne louisiana
    I gound this in an older post. Seems like by reading No.7 i should be able to get the permit. These charges were from 2005. Agree??

C. To qualify for a concealed handgun permit, a Louisiana resident shall:
    (1) Make sworn application to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections. The providing of false or misleading information on the application or any documents submitted with the application shall be grounds for the denial or revocation of a concealed handgun permit. The application shall reflect training in pistols, revolvers, or both. Any permittee under this Section shall notify the department of any address or name change within thirty days of the change. Failure to timely notify the department of a name or address change may result in suspension of the permit for up to thirty days.
    (2) Agree in writing to hold harmless and indemnify the department, the state, or any peace officer for any and all liability arising out of the issuance or use of the concealed handgun permit.
    (3) Be a resident of the state.
    (4) Be twenty-one years of age or older.
    (5) Not suffer from a mental or physical infirmity due to disease, illness, or retardation which prevents the safe handling of a handgun.
    (6) Not be ineligible to possess a firearm by virtue of having been convicted of a felony.
    (7) Not have been committed, either voluntarily or involuntarily, for the abuse of a controlled dangerous substance, as defined by R.S. 40:961 and 964, or been found guilty of, or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to a misdemeanor under the laws of this state or similar laws of any other state relating to a controlled dangerous substance within a five-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted, or be presently charged under indictment or a bill of information for such an offense.
    (8) Not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant or permittee chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired if the applicant has been found guilty of, or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to operating a vehicle while intoxicated, or has been admitted, either voluntarily or involuntarily, for treatment as an alcoholic, within the five-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted, or at any time after the application has been submitted.

Top Bottom