Pet Peeves.. Mod please close..thread went south

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Another one...

Attaching a rail, of any sort, to any random firearm design, regardless of weapon type, does not make it "tactical".

That "tactical" 12 gauge...it's just a black, double barreled scatter gun with a rail. Does it have an increased round capacity compared to its non-tactical sister design? Does it have higher visibility sights than the non-tactical version? Enlarged trigger guard? Better/Redesigned stock or grips? Any other design feature that sets it apart from it's non-tactical sister?

No. It is just a break action with a rail, but feel free to spend an extra $100 in comparison to the non-tactical version.

Firearms aren't tactical. People are.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    When someone says "really looking to trade instead of cash, really want brand XX", but when you PM them with that, they rather cash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Another one...

Attaching a rail, of any sort, to any random firearm design, regardless of weapon type, does not make it "tactical".

That "tactical" 12 gauge...it's just a black, double barreled scatter gun with a rail. Does it have an increased round capacity compared to its non-tactical sister design? Does it have higher visibility sights than the non-tactical version? Enlarged trigger guard? Better/Redesigned stock or grips? Any other design feature that sets it apart from it's non-tactical sister?

No. It is just a break action with a rail, but feel free to spend an extra $100 in comparison to the non-tactical version.

Firearms aren't tactical. People are.

shot-show-2012-mossberg-tactical-lever-action-30-30.jpg

Here you go

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    People like you are my pet peeves. Many restaurants do not deal in coins at all. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to do closing work and accounting in a large cash flow business. They round up or down on the half dollar. You punishing the server by leaving what you call a "7 cent tip" is shitty and puts you on my pet peeve list.

Also - Leonidas, how about you just ask them to bring you smaller bills instead of a "teaching moment" that cuts into their income. Saying a servers job isn't rocket surgery.... First of all, no one does surgery on rockets.... Second, you should have more respect for people in the service industry. Many of us are professionals that could do anything else we want, but are happy in this field because it is something we enjoy. Servers/bussers/bartenders are not a subclass of society.

-Rant over

Bull... ****...

If I owe $1.93, I owe a $1.93. I'm not obligated towards anybody's arbitrary idea to remove additional change just to make their accounting lives easier. Rounding down and not bringing my cents is a good way to A) not getting a tip, and B) not getting anymore of my business. I could do without .07 but that's not the point. Seven cents or more off every bill, every day, every week adds up. It's theft. There is no other reason. And you can bank, if you as a server rang up my check and tried to pull that crap, and explained the shortchange just as you did here, I'd ask for a manager and make damned sure to raise my voice just enough to get the next customer's attention when I ask if his servers made a habit of purposely overcharging the customer.

And seriously? Professionals who could do anything they want, and they would prefer to wait for tips? Phfft. I bartended. If I had an office job with bennies, making salary, damned if I'd hang behind a bar. Or bus tables.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Where is this?

It's on the wall to the right of the door to the kitchen, kinda high up.

Pocarello's Italian Deli and Kitchen, 12240 Coursey Blvd.

Wonderful food. They don't take credit cards but Pokey will let you run a tab, unless he doesn't like you.

Tell him Pine Nut sent you.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    People like you are my pet peeves. Many restaurants do not deal in coins at all. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to do closing work and accounting in a large cash flow business. They round up or down on the half dollar. You punishing the server by leaving what you call a "7 cent tip" is shitty and puts you on my pet peeve list.

Also - Leonidas, how about you just ask them to bring you smaller bills instead of a "teaching moment" that cuts into their income. Saying a servers job isn't rocket surgery.... First of all, no one does surgery on rockets.... Second, you should have more respect for people in the service industry. Many of us are professionals that could do anything else we want, but are happy in this field because it is something we enjoy. Servers/bussers/bartenders are not a subclass of society.

-Rant over

Wait a minute. Let's say you rounded down seven cents. Their bill was for $1.93, they gave you a five dollar bill, and you return with three dollars, no cents. How are you going to zero out and balance the register if you continue to do this with each and every check that isn't an even number? How does this make it any easier in accounting?

Most restaurants, from what I've seen are computerized. You enter what they order, and it feeds the server the numbers. There is very little actual counting change. Unless it's a small mom-pop restaurant, I don't think the computer system allows you to round up or down unless you're pocketing the change between the register and the table…. Then the manager wouldn't ever know I suppose.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Poccorellos casa d'italia...Couresy Blvd Baton Rouge

Ah - I know Mr. Pokie and his family rather well! That's who I first thought of when you said that :P Also, at LSU I have seen people not even look to see if I plan on stopping as they walk across the street with their cellphones in front of them.

I have a pet peeve that hasn't been mentioned - DUI Checkpoints and cops driving around looking just for inspection stickers. Surly there are better things to be done.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    People that walk around school with rap music blaring on thier phone.

Or in their cars at a gas station. Or hell- cars in general. How big of an a-hole does someone have to be to force their $hitty, illiterate "music" on everyone within a four block radius? :dunno:

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Peaple who do not use turn signals, how freaking hard is it? That guy(its always a guy) who no matter how bored you look are uninterested you make yourself seem continues to talk nonstop about whatever they feel like talking about.

marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    The extreme cold a/c in restaurants in the summer and the damn blast furnace in the winter.
    White people trying to act black. You're getting laughed at by both white and black people.
    Truck nuts. How do I explain this douchebaggery to small children?
    RIP stickers on vehicles. Is your vehicle a rolling tombstone?
    Morbidly obese people walking super slow in the grocery store using the junk food laden cart as a walker.
    Idiots with glass packs or straight pipes that have to start off in granny gear just to demonstrate their pipes.
    The new diesel owners with souped up engines thinking that black smoke is badass.
    Chicks with "trucks are for girls" stickers on their truck.
    Last but not least, the 3.5" 12 gauge magnum shell. A potentially useful cartridge that has been ruined by the flat bills that set up 150 yards from you in the reserve who think it enables them to make 100 yard kill shots on passing ducks.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    It's on the wall to the right of the door to the kitchen, kinda high up.

Pocarello's Italian Deli and Kitchen, 12240 Coursey Blvd.

Wonderful food. They don't take credit cards but Pokey will let you run a tab, unless he doesn't like you.

Tell him Pine Nut sent you.

Him not taking credit cards is one of my pet peeves. I don't carry cash. I can tell you I would eat there quite a bit more over the years if he did. I know he does okay but I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't feel like going to the ATM to get dinner.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Bull... ****...

If I owe $1.93, I owe a $1.93. I'm not obligated towards anybody's arbitrary idea to remove additional change just to make their accounting lives easier. Rounding down and not bringing my cents is a good way to A) not getting a tip, and B) not getting anymore of my business. I could do without .07 but that's not the point. Seven cents or more off every bill, every day, every week adds up. It's theft. There is no other reason. And you can bank, if you as a server rang up my check and tried to pull that crap, and explained the shortchange just as you did here, I'd ask for a manager and make damned sure to raise my voice just enough to get the next customer's attention when I ask if his servers made a habit of purposely overcharging the customer.

And seriously? Professionals who could do anything they want, and they would prefer to wait for tips? Phfft. I bartended. If I had an office job with bennies, making salary, damned if I'd hang behind a bar. Or bus tables.

Wait a minute. Let's say you rounded down seven cents. Their bill was for $1.93, they gave you a five dollar bill, and you return with three dollars, no cents. How are you going to zero out and balance the register if you continue to do this with each and every check that isn't an even number? How does this make it any easier in accounting?

Most restaurants, from what I've seen are computerized. You enter what they order, and it feeds the server the numbers. There is very little actual counting change. Unless it's a small mom-pop restaurant, I don't think the computer system allows you to round up or down unless you're pocketing the change between the register and the table…. Then the manager wouldn't ever know I suppose.

Okay,

Since I despise arguing over the internet, I am going to address your points and then be done with it. I know what I am talking about, so if you disagree, so be it.

1. I will say that I have only worked in fine or finer dining restaurants, so my personal experience is limited mostly to that, but I know literally hundreds of people in the service industry in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans area in all styles of bars and restaurants.

2. I said many restaurants now round up OR down on the half dollar. So yes, if you owed $1.93, you would lose 7 cents, but if you owed $1.49, you would save 49 cents. It tends to balance itself out. No one is trying to steal your 7 cents.

3. Don't insult me and other service industry professionals by saying we only have this job because we can't get another one. Many many servers and bartenders could be doing many other things. In Baton Rouge, which isn't even a great town for servers and bartenders, many of them make 60k or more a year working 4 days a week. In larger cities like New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago, and NYC, servers making over 100k is not out of the ordinary. It's not just about the money either. It's a job many people love and a culture all it's own. It may not be for you, but that doesn't mean other people don't love what they do.

4. Yes most restaurants use computerized POS (point of sale) systems these days, but that does not change the fact that dealing with small change in a volume restaurant slows things down and makes it more of a pain in the ass to keep up with. Im speaking from experience managing two of the largest and most profitable restaurants in Baton Rouge.

5. As a manager, if you decided to raise your voice in my restaurant accusing my server of stealing your 7 cents, and decided it was worth making a scene over, I would return the favor and ask you to leave.

6. Yes, you can go to a restaurant and get bad service. Im not saying all servers are Rhodes Scholars applicants or even good at their job, but you get what you pay for. Don't expect knowledgeable and professional service from a teenager trying to catch some extra spending money. He/she is getting paid $2.13 an hour plus tips. And at an inexpensive restaurant, that might add up to 40 bucks a night. All while dealing with a cross section of society, so obviously some assholes make it in. Generally excellent service will come at excellent restaurants. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Okay,

Since I despise arguing over the internet, I am going to address your points and then be done with it. I know what I am talking about, so if you disagree, so be it.

Okay, but I still think you're full of crap. Point #2 doesn't mean **** to the person that's paying $1.93.

#5 tells me all I need to know. It's not "worth" anything except integrity. Obviously you have none.

You never did really answer my question though. How is it better accounting when you give the customer a check for $1.93, and $1.49, keep seven cents, give back the $.49 cents… You might manage, but you sure as hell don't run the books do you.

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    3. Don't insult me and other service industry professionals by saying we only have this job because we can't get another one. Many many servers and bartenders could be doing many other things. In Baton Rouge, which isn't even a great town for servers and bartenders, many of them make 60k or more a year working 4 days a week. In larger cities like New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago, and NYC, servers making over 100k is not out of the ordinary. It's not just about the money either. It's a job many people love and a culture all it's own. It may not be for you, but that doesn't mean other people don't love what they do.

See below

5. As a manager, if you decided to raise your voice in my restaurant accusing my server of stealing your 7 cents, and decided it was worth making a scene over, I would return the favor and ask you to leave.

You wouldn't have to.
    You shouldn't challenge people watching pennies. If you are a "manager" who is worth his salt, I'd wager you have many of your costs factored to the tenth of a cent and the tenth of a percent.

6. Yes, you can go to a restaurant and get bad service. Im not saying all servers are Rhodes Scholars applicants or even good at their job, but you get what you pay for. Don't expect knowledgeable and professional service from a teenager trying to catch some extra spending money. He/she is getting paid $2.13 an hour plus tips. And at an inexpensive restaurant, that might add up to 40 bucks a night. All while dealing with a cross section of society, so obviously some assholes make it in. Generally excellent service will come at excellent restaurants. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule.

So, now you are saying that some servers are not professional, after your outrage at us saying that some servers are not professional

I believe you may have just illustrated my rocket surgery reference.

I usually don't care where my threads go, but the goal of this one was to have fun. Nobody was dumping on all service people. Relax and enjoy.

Last edited:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    We round up and give the customer back more than required. We give quarters away to kids who want candy from the machine. We deal with the register being off a few bucks and go on with our lives.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    We round up and give the customer back more than required. We give quarters away to kids who want candy from the machine. We deal with the register being off a few bucks and go on with our lives.

Rounding up isn't a big deal. That's not the bookkeeping nightmare if the owner prepares for it. Our favorite local restaurant gives quarters to kids too. But arbitrarily deciding who gets the round down, round up… not so much.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Okay, but I still think you're full of crap. Point #2 doesn't mean **** to the person that's paying $1.93.

#5 tells me all I need to know. It's not "worth" anything except integrity. Obviously you have none.

You never did really answer my question though. How is it better accounting when you give the customer a check for $1.93, and $1.49, keep seven cents, give back the $.49 cents… You might manage, but you sure as hell don't run the books do you.

Said I was done, but there was no need to insult my integrity. I said "if" you decided to make a scene, I would ask you to leave. If you would ask nicely for 7 cents, I would gladly oblige.

And yes, I have literally done everything there is to do in restaurants, including the books. Like I said, change on cash sales comes very close to being even when all is said and done.

I was not insulting you, so please don't start insulting me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom