Phobos Presents Basic AK 9/13/14 $200 Covington, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phobos Sol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Greater NOLA
    Hey boys and girls, do you own an AK? Do you want to train and become more efficient with the AK? Getting tired of attending course after course designed around the AR platform? Then this is for y'all. Basic AK will cover topics of the AK platform. Some will be familiar, but be performed in a different manner specific to the platform and some will be new. AK required, but any caliber is welcomed. We will be holding this course in Covington, LA "The Pit" on September 13th, 2014. Cost is $200 for the day. Looking forward to seeing y'all out there. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll get them answered.

AK2_zps6790f947.jpeg

AK1_zpsccc6d09f.jpeg

Nick

Last edited:

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    AK platform rifle
    3 mags for rifle and pouches/ vest (although you can run them from your pockets)
    Sling (recommended)
    250-300 rounds for AK rifle
    Eye and ear pro
    WATER (it's HOT out there)
    Lunch
    Clothing appropriate to be in an open area in the heat and possible rain (we train in the rain). We bring a canopy, but much of your time will be spent on the firing line in the heat.

Recommended gear:
    Handgun, holster, and single mag for transitions
    Sunblock
    Chair
    Pen and paper
    Snacks

That's the bare bones to get through, but always recommend bring out any gear for that system you want to try out. Best way to see if it works.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk & misspellings thanks to iPhone

Last edited:

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It took a few more days than expected due to work and school, but this is my after action report for Phobos Solutions Basic AK (9/13/2014)

If anything is too vague please feel free to PM me or post questions below. I didn’t want to be too descriptive and drag on the AAR, or give away too much info from the class.

Let me start off by saying I am a pretty big fan of the AK platform. The first gun I bought when I turned 18 was a Yugo M70. I do not consider myself an *expert* in anything so I jumped at the chance to learn more about my favorite style of rifle.

Registering for the class was a quick and easy process. I posted a question asking about the gear list and it was promptly answered. A few days before the class I received an email that included gear reminders as well as directions to the range.

I left Baton Rouge about 2 hours early to give myself about 30 minutes in case I got lost. The directions were very easy to follow and led me right to the range with no issue. It turned out to be only 2 students (including myself). I greatly appreciate Nick showing up for just the two of us.

Nick was a great instructor. He was very polite and professional. The class started with a short into and history of the AK platform and its varieties/configurations etc. We soon moved into zeroing our rifles. Nick was very patient with us and we eventually got our optics and irons zeroed correctly.

At some point we learned safety manipulation. I can’t remember the exact order of everything, but correct manipulation of the safety was stressed throughout the class. I think this is one of the most important aspects for the AK. The safety, and its manipulation, is one of the main differences between the AK and AR.

Now that we knew our rifles were zeroed, we were able to learn mechanical offset from various distances. It was interesting to see different setups perform differently (I have an Ultimak with an Aimpoint T1 and the other student was using a clamp-on side scope mount with Russian optic).

Nick then moved into various reloading techniques and malfunction clearance procedures. We were encouraged to try every method at least once and to decide which one we wanted to use after that. (Nick wasn’t showing us the ONLY way to do something, just A way to do something.) The same went for positional shooting, which was something I had never been taught properly how to do. I knew there were different positions but that was the extent of my knowledge. Once again we were encouraged to try everything once and make a decision.

Transitions were taught towards the end of class and this is an area I really need to work on. I have taken several pistol classes and am used to working with only one gun. When it stops working the answer is always to fix it or reload. In this class, I forgot that I had two guns several times, and would try to fix/reload my rifle instead of switching to my pistol.

Throughout the class we shot various drills that highlighted the importance of basic marksmanship. There were only two of us in the class so we were able to shoot more than expected. I would say the class went beyond what I consider to be *basic.* I do not have another carbine class under my belt to compare this one to, but I would say it is very similar to most of them. The biggest difference is that all of the instruction in this class was geared towards the AK.

I walked away with much more knowledge than I arrived with. I discovered things I didn't know about my favorite rifle, and figured out what gear worked well for me and what didn't. Like I stated above, Nick was a great instructor and guy in general. I look forward to taking another class with Phobos Solutions and hope to see a few more of y’all out there.

Last edited:

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    Thank you for the kind words and the AAR. Working with guys like you and V make my job easy and fun. I, like you, am a big fan of the AK. It was the first rifle I ever owned, a Norico (still regret selling that one) and have been in love with the platform ever since. Had a great day, the weather was nice and we managed to stay rain free. Would love to have y'all back out again.

Nick

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Yeah. Can't say enough good about Nick and Lewis! They are fantastic instructors with their **** firmly together! ;-)

Top Bottom