Pinned AR15 Suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • po verde

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    NOLA
    OK...before the flames start, there is a reason.

Department says my AR15 must have a 16" barrel OAL. SBR's are NOT allowed. Suppressors equate to 'increasing officer safety,' but I do not want a gun that has the equivalent of a 22-24" barrel. This would be for warrant service and houses are small. What would be a decent suppressor for permanently attaching to a "SBR" length upper?

The NFA paperwork is not an issue, it is simply the departments silly policy. I would rather SBR my lower and go that route so I could swap the suppressor around, but I simply am not allowed.

I am thinking the TAC16 may be a good option as it just threads on, not quick attach like many others (obviously I won't need that option). It also disassembles from the end, making cleaning possible. As well, it is relatively inexpensive, a plus since it is permanently on there. I have read good things about them, but they are obviously not a Surefire suppressor.

If anyone has ever done this, please advise regarding your experience with the completed weapon. My AR is a standard Colt 6920. I would likely purchase a new barrel, probably a 10.3 or 10.5, but have a spare 16" chrome lined barrel that could be cut down.

I am in the planning stages at this point and am seeking some guidance. I would also like to be able to run my .22 conversion kit, but that may be asking for too much.

Green

And before someone says "just SBR it and don't tell them its not permanently mounted," the cost savings is not worth being hung out to dry by the department if I shoot somebody. And likely fired. If that happens, I don't want it to be because of something I could have prevented.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    So there is a policy on no SBR, but no policy on suppressors? I know our dpt has a policy against any modifications to the firing system from the trigger to the barrel. Only things we can change are sights, and accessories such as rails, grips and lights. And if you have a SBR with a suppressor, im pretty sure it'd still be classified as a SBR, just with a suppressor. Just my opinion though.

po verde

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    NOLA
    As long as the suppressor is pinned/welded in place, it is like those 11.5" uppers with the 5.5" flash hider. It is classified as a rifle. The policy states we must have an overall length of 16" for the barrel. If I had a department issue Rock River, I couldn't even add a foregrip. Instead, I have an approved Colt 6920 and have received permission to do the above modification (to my personal weapon). Like I said, the department won't buy suppressors, but considers them an enhancement to officer safety. A friend has one on his weapon, but it is a 14.5" upper with pinned flash hider (making it 16") and quick detach mount for the suppressor. The OAL for the barrel (with the removable suppressor) is something like 21-22". Thats too long in my oppinion for our kind of social work.

Green

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I don't know much about supressors, but if any of them can be disassembled from the front end, I would look closely at those. It just makes good sense to me.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    i'd get an AAC Ranger2, i'm pretty sure i've read that other people have permanently attached one before.

if it had to be take down, Liberty can probably do it. i think they already have a take down centerfire can, but i'm not 100% sure on that. i wanted to see if they could build me an integral Savage MKII since i have a spare barrel, but it was going to cost me about as much as buying 2 Prodigy's.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    MY dealer has a 9 inch 300 black upper with 7.62 sdn-6. If I had to weld it to get a setup like his but just alittle longer to use it within policy I would not hesitate as that thing is freaking awesome.

po verde

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    NOLA
    Who's Will?

That would be the best route...I am sure someone has already done this and is ready for a new project ;)

Then maybe I could hear it before I bought it....

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    So there is a policy on no SBR, but no policy on suppressors? I know our dpt has a policy against any modifications to the firing system from the trigger to the barrel. Only things we can change are sights, and accessories such as rails, grips and lights. And if you have a SBR with a suppressor, im pretty sure it'd still be classified as a SBR, just with a suppressor. Just my opinion though.
    First you ignore the part where he said his department allows the suppressor, then you give bad information about what constitutes an SBR and what doesn't. Any barrel with a permanently attached extension that brings the overall length of the barrel to 16"+ is not an SBR.

po verde

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    NOLA
    Not worried about the info. It is pretty unbelievable what I can and can't do, per policy. At least we HAVE a rifle policy...some LEOs can only use a shotgun. In the case of the Liberty can, it would constitute an SBR because it screws off from the rear, so when it was taken down for cleaning the OAL of the barrel would only be about 11"....the TAC 16 comes off from the front, so it would still be 16" OAL.

Yes, it must be 5.56...I wish otherwise....worse, it must be 55 grain SP ammo.

Gotcha, Red Jacket...read and heard good stuff....I will check with them.

Top Bottom