Pistol Ramblings: Your Most Accurate Pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    WC Elite Professional in the Prophet's caliber of .45ACP. I was going to sell it to purchase a beautiful Turnbull Blued full sized WC CQB. After shooting it Saturday, I told my friend who is selling the CQB, no thanks, I am keeping this one. He laughed. "Don't blame you."

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    In my hand, my most accurate is the old Colt Model 1917 Army revolver. It's so much fun to go out to qualify to renew my CHP & out shoot everybody with a 98 year old pistol. Youth & enthusiasm are no match for experience and treachery.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    In my hand, my most accurate is the old Colt Model 1917 Army revolver. It's so much fun to go out to qualify to renew my CHP & out shoot everybody with a 98 year old pistol. Youth & enthusiasm are no match for experience and treachery.

The most accurate shooting I have seen in a CHP class was a sub 4" 10 shot group at 25 yards with very little light at dusk but the shooter only used 1 hand.
    When I was in my early 60's I could occasionally shoot 18 rounds from a Glock in a sub 4" group at 25 yards but now in my 70's with many health issues that is long gone.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Maybe, but that Ruger Standard . . .

Slow Clap

Slow Clap

Slow Clap

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey
    No maybe about it, too many witnesses to discount the facts.

The standard just happened to be in the pic, is older than me and I only take it out to look at it now and again.

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have several handguns that will deliver groups at 100 yards that hover around MOA accuracy. All carry optics. These guns are probably not to be considered within the intent of this thread. I had a Security Six like the one Bam Bam mentioned. With factory sights and a mild cast bullet load I once held a roughly 6" group at 200 yards with that Ruger. Of the conventional handguns that I now own I would have to say that my most accurate is the namesake of my forum handle. It's a 7 1/4" High Standard Trophy. I have fired 25 yard 5 shot groups that made a single ragged hole in the target.....roughly a .35" group, with the factory sights from a supported hold.

Magdump.......that old model Ruger looks familiar.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I can throw a brick more accurately than any Ruger I've shot. I'm looking at some of these posts and having a hard time believing them, not because of the posters' credibility, but because of my experiences with Ruger.

My S&W 629C is my most accurate, with a close follower being my 57.
    M&P 9 pro series for my semi's, followed closely by my G23 (surprisingly).

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have several handguns that will deliver groups at 100 yards that hover around MOA accuracy. All carry optics. These guns are probably not to be considered within the intent of this thread. I had a Security Six like the one Bam Bam mentioned. With factory sights and a mild cast bullet load I once held a roughly 6" group at 200 yards with that Ruger. Of the conventional handguns that I now own I would have to say that my most accurate is the namesake of my forum handle. It's a 7 1/4" High Standard Trophy. I have fired 25 yard 5 shot groups that made a single ragged hole in the target.....roughly a .35" group, with the factory sights from a supported hold.

Magdump.......that old model Ruger looks familiar.
    Lol! Hoping to get the one I got from u looking that good! Gotta send it to Ruger and let them work their magic

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    I got three that I like: Ruger Mrk II Target model with a little work, High Standard Victor, and a High Standard Supermatic Citation, golf balls at 50 yards are no problem.

Super Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii
    My 686 is consistently accurate with many loads.

IMG_2526.JPG

Here's some 50 yard groups. Some are under 2 inches.

IMG_2004.JPG

These little guys get it done at 25 yards.

IMG_1173.JPG

These seem to do real well with Blazer aluminum ammo at 25 yards. I was sighting in the adjustable sights...not shooting 5 shot groups. Both under an inch at 25 yards.

IMG_3752.JPG

And this one is a tack driver too.

IMG_4769.JPG

Same with this CZ from Cajun Gun Works.

IMG_2674.JPG

2" group at 50 yards...testing handloads.
    IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

I've found that the vast majority of quality guns are very accurate if you take the time to find the right loads and have a good rest. All these guns have had the triggers worked on...that helps a lot with accuracy. The right sight configuration that works for your eyes is important. I prefer a thinner front sight than what usually comes from the factory. If your vision is aging (like mine) get a pair of corrected shooting glasses (http://www.sportglasses.com). They put the bifocal for your dominant eye on the top of the lens. They use 1/2 the power of your reading glasses so you can see the sight and the target. So, if your reading glasses are 2 power then the bifocal is 1 power. Other than that a lot of range time helps...a good 22 is cheap practice to hone marksmanship. I always bring a 22 to the range so when I start to flinch with the larger calibers I can move back to the 22 to calm my nerves.

A good air gun can also really help get trigger time in the back yard. This one is very accurate. Mac1 LD.

IMG_3603.JPG

Dave

Last edited:

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    At the moment, I don't own a full-size handgun but probably my most accurate was a Walther PPX. Currently, my best, most accurate, range pistol is M&P 9C with Apex FSS kit, Tied for my most fun at the range are the XDS .45 and Sig P938.
    MampP9c_zpscitkbcrd.jpg

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Right now, it's my 6" S&W 686 that I can shoot most accurately on a consistent basis. But I got a Browning Buckmark Field Target recently and my initial tests on it are pretty good, maybe better than the 686. It's at the smith getting some work done to fix an issue with occasional light strikes, which makes it hard to really focus on shooting with it because you keep expecting it to not fire when you pull the trigger, kind of distracting. Hopefully it will come out fully functional and I can give it a real good run through the paces. If it comes back functioning well, I'll be putting a red dot sight on it to see how I like using one.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    My most accurate or best shooting pistol is my FEG HiPower clone. During Dept qualifications, I always qualified with higher scores with it than any other pistol I qualified with.

Trith72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Shreveport
    I almost hate to say it because I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but.... Chiappa Rhino 60Ds. I can drive a nail with that thing at 30 yards.

Top Bottom