Piston AR's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I sold my son's AR a few months ago and want to replace it at tax refund time with a left hand one from Stag as he is a southpaw. I see they have piston models now and wanted to do research and get opinions before the time comes. Any thoughts on the piston or Stag?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Stag guns seem to be good to go, the piston guns are neat, but there is nothing wrong with the time tested AR gas system.

Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    BY the way, nice video, whit. Here's one that shows what happens when you do the same thing with a DI gun (complete with German-style techno - thanks HK!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMH94PuT_I[/ame]

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    Unless your son really cares about pistons, or he's a navy seal doing beach-head landings, skip the piston and spend the extra bucks on something else.

But piston is good crap if you need/want it - and that HK test was rigged by the way...want a real over-the-beach test where the tester doesn't stop the camera and empty the gun (reported from HK themselves that they had to let the water drain).

Here's my piston [lol not me DOING it, just my rifle type] :)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db8mmURVswc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db8mmURVswc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

No BS one-round magazine shots, or letting the water drain before he pulls the trigger :)

here's mine by the way...

DSC03173.jpg

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    If you want a piston gun designed to be a piston gun, check out the Sig556. I have a 556 Classic (folding stock) and would take it over either of my two AR's (An RRA Entry Tactical and a Stag lower/LMT middy upper). Runs clean, very accurate, very comfortable to shoot.

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    If you want a piston gun designed to be a piston gun, check out the Sig556. I have a 556 Classic (folding stock) and would take it over either of my two AR's (An RRA Entry Tactical and a Stag lower/LMT middy upper). Runs clean, very accurate, very comfortable to shoot.

....and doubles as a weight set.

stick to the XCR.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    ....and doubles as a weight set.

stick to the XCR.

I dont notice that big of a difference and the SIG handles better in my opinion. I have the 550 handguards though and not the railed fish-gill monstrocity to hang 150 different do-dads off so what do I know? :rofl:

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    The sig is an AWESOME club, seriously good blunt weapon.

Try to put a supressor on it...oh yea, it makes it louder :)

what a strange weapon...no wonder they try and unload it in every academy sports I walk into.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    The sig is an AWESOME club, seriously good blunt weapon.

Try to put a supressor on it...oh yea, it makes it louder :)

what a strange weapon...no wonder they try and unload it in every academy sports I walk into.

Wow, you're not a brand whore or anything. :rofl:

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    It's not the brand, seriously. It's just a strange weapon. Heavy, ackward, noisy...just outside what I would call a slick weapon. Enjoy it! They all kill you dead just the same

littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I sold my son's AR a few months ago and want to replace it at tax refund time with a left hand one from Stag as he is a southpaw. I see they have piston models now and wanted to do research and get opinions before the time comes. Any thoughts on the piston or Stag?

Thanks for all of the replies and I may have worded my inquiry wrong. I was more interested in the Stag in particular as my son is left handed.
    I talked to a dealer today at the gun show that told me the pistons won't be available until maybe January, so I guess my question was kind of irrelevant as know one has probably has any experience with that brand piston yet.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have experience with an HK 416 and with traditional AR rifles. If you want to have an easier time cleaning the gun then go with the piston. That and if you are going into a dirty combat environment. The piston guns do not get hot around the receiver and most of the burnt powder stays towards the front of the barrel. They are an improvement but for most aren't necessary.

If I was spending the money, I'd go with gas impingement and spend the difference on some ammo and a nice aftermarket sighting system.

Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Unless your son really cares about pistons, or he's a navy seal doing beach-head landings, skip the piston and spend the extra bucks on something else.

But piston is good crap if you need/want it - and that HK test was rigged by the way...want a real over-the-beach test where the tester doesn't stop the camera and empty the gun (reported from HK themselves that they had to let the water drain).

Here's my piston [lol not me DOING it, just my rifle type] :)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db8mmURVswc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Db8mmURVswc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

No BS one-round magazine shots, or letting the water drain before he pulls the trigger :)

here's mine by the way...

DSC03173.jpg

I had an XCR, and it was a great gun, I just thought it was ridiculous that you had to loctite the ejector on... :squint:

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    Does your son really need a left-handed rifle? Some people are bothered by cases being ejected in front of their faces, so there IS a market there. As a lefty myself (obviously), I don't see a need for it. I shoot standard ARs and everything else just fine.

There are a few small "inconveniences", but those can be fixed, like adding an ambi mag catch like the Norgon to the lower. Other than that, you have to deal with non-standard/proprietary parts if you would need them, IMO.

Stag makes decent stuff though, but if I was in the market for a piston AR I'd check out LWRC or LMT.

littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Does your son really need a left-handed rifle? Some people are bothered by cases being ejected in front of their faces, so there IS a market there. As a lefty myself (obviously), I don't see a need for it. I shoot standard ARs and everything else just fine.

There are a few small "inconveniences", but those can be fixed, like adding an ambi mag catch like the Norgon to the lower. Other than that, you have to deal with non-standard/proprietary parts if you would need them, IMO.

Stag makes decent stuff though, but if I was in the market for a piston AR I'd check out LWRC or LMT.

Thanks on the input from a lefty. He had a Colt that bit him in the lip a couple of times and that made me think about his eyes(we always wear eye protection) and everything else if something goes wrong. I've heard good things about the Stag and will probably not wait till their piston system is proven to purchase it and just get the regular version as I can hopefully get a
    piston version later if it has good reviews.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My personal opinion? If you want an AR, get the GI version. If you want a piston gun, get a gun designed from the ground up for a piston. There is nothing wrong with the GI system. It's dirtier, yeah, but I've shot thousands of rounds with minimal cleaning (and hundreds and hundreds of rounds of rounds in the sand box with minimal cleaning) and never really had a problem. The beauty of the AR system is that almost everyone has them and you can swap around parts if the need comes up. If you are the only guy with a piston AR, and your weapon goes down, you are up the creek. Now, I look at it from a military/SHTF view point because there is where I come from and what I ultimatly bought my rifles for. If you are just looking for a range gun that is easy to clean (and there is nothing wrong with that), then it doesnt really matter if you are the only guy with a piston driven AR.

As for Stag, I am sold 100%. Mine has been flawless and my buddies has been flawless as well.

Top Bottom