Plants/ Refineries Hiring

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Whats up guys? I just wanted to ask you guys a favor. I have been going to school for PTEC (Process Technology) which is a program designed for people aspiring to be an operator in refineries/plants. It was a good program when I enrolled, with promises of internships, and all this stuff that the school definitely did not deliver on. A lot of the professors, who were Exxon and DOW retirees quit because the new President of the school appointed her husband over the PTEC program and he doesn't know a lick about refineries and they got mad and left. The program has basically lost a lot of leadership and has downgraded in quality. I have been applying at tons of plants, and even 3rd party people who would contract me out, but have yet to find a job. Really getting discouraged and am beginning to think I have wasted my time. It sucks just emailing applications, because they have no face to put with my name, and I can't imagine the amount of unqualified people who apply vs the amount that actually have the knowledge for the job.

My question to you guys, does anyone work in a plant? Know of plants hiring? Have any suggestions for leads? I don't necessarily care about being strictly an operator anything would help!

Thanks a million

Last edited:

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    Depends on where you want to end up. Lake Charles is about to have a TON of opportunities for operations with the SASOL expansion along with all the baby boomers retiring from other local plants. I work as an operator in one and can tell you this, in the Lake Charles area, there will be major expansions with the LNG (liquid natural gas) facilities looking to export natural gas. I heard figures on Sasol hiring 1200 permanent employees in the next 4 years. Some people will tell you the days of "knowing" somebody are over, but unfortunately, thats not so true. Your time will come, If you get an interview, SELL yourself and tell them what they want to hear. You'd be amazed at some of the people that walk in for interviews, sloppy dressed, very informal and just a lack of common sense. Be assertive and a leader, thats what they want. Best of luck to you and keep your head up.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I assume you're talking about the river parishes school? I have a friend that just graduated with a PTEC degree from there. He was told the same things, basically he would be plucked from the school before he even graduated. Well he graduated and can't even get an interview. He sends apps all over with no response.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Let me just tell you bravo3, PERSISTANCE PAYS !!!.....Don't be discouraged from lack of responses !!! Keep applying constantly and never give up....if you know anyone that could put in a good word for you, take advantage of it !!! If you get a phone number call it every day of the week....it will pay off !! This claim sounds just like ITI claims after you graduate a 1.5 yr course in just 6 mons.....with no experience !!!

Last edited:

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    It may be out of the area that you are interested in, but Calumet Lubricants in Shreveport will be hiring about 10 people in the near future. A PTEC degree will help a lot up here. If you are interested send me a PM and I can get you more info. Good luck!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Any time you learn something it is not a waste of time. Sorry the program imploded. Appearance and first impressions are very important. Dress well, speak well, and be confident. Also look around the interviewers office for something you may have in common. Striking up a conversation about it can help. I once went on an interview and the interviewer had a picture of his Trans Am on a shelf. I'm into cars and knew a lot about his TA. I had a Z28 and raced them. I struck up a conversation and made a connection and eventually was hired. Another technique that has worked for me is if you get an interview when you are leaving say something like: "I'm very interested in working for your company. Is it ok to call you in two weeks if I don't hear anything"? They always say yes. Do it and follow up. That also got me several jobs. Don't give up!

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Dont get discourage. It took me over a year to get hired with with a cert. from the river parish Ptec class and a Ptec class for a specific plant. I fi hear of any opening local i will pm you.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Make sure you try the career section of company websites also. I find it's more effective than using monster or careerbuilder. It may just be the equivalent of "e-mailing resumes" but at least you'd be applying for jobs you know exist and putting it in the first spot HR looks. I got about half a dozen interviews in one job change going this route. You can even set up a search agent on some sites where you specify the parameters and it automatically executes searches so often for you and e-mails you when a job opens up.

A few local companies with careers listed on their website:

Dow
    Exxon
    Honeywell
    Shell
    PCS
    Syngenta
    Mexichem
    Ineos
    Williams
    UOP
    BASF
    Dupont
    Huntsman
    Hexion
    Enterprise
    Solvay
    Nucor
    Taminco
    Chevron
    Marathon
    Westlake
    Entergy
    Calpine
    Total
    Olin
    Lion Copolymer

Don't forget about pipeline and offshore.

Last edited:

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You guys have been very encouraging and helpful. I am open to pipeline for sure, but can't really do the off shore gig. I have an 8 month pregnant wife, and she isn't letting that one fly. Neither of us have a problem with relocating though. Thanks a ton for the info you guys have offered and for the PM messages. If there is anything else keep the information coming please, I really appreciate it

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    PTEC graduate here from 2003 via BRCC. Haven't been able to get into a Plant since I finished my internship and graduated with a 3.4 gpa. Found a better career in the Telecom industry and am now relocating to Atlanta to be a level II Voice Engineer.

To be fair, I stopped searching out Operator and Logistics positions after 1 - 1.5 years.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Most plants want some kind of industrial experience. So basicly, take any plant job you can and keep looking. I know GP is hiring at the moment, got the email Friday. Entry level production operator, I believe starting pay is $15-16/hr.
    go to www.gp.com/careers and search for reserve/ utility worker (production- shift) job # 017259

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Did you get any Drafting or CAD experience in school? If so, all the major design firms around town are hiring at many levels. And the money is alot better than in the plant.

Top Bottom