Poison Ivy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    What happened? Accidently burned it and it got in your throat and lungs? That happened to me, and I couldn't think of any worse way to get it. Lol

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I had that happen as a kid. Had to spend a couple days in the hospital and a lot of drs visits to get that cleared up.
    This go round I was cutting down a couple cedar trees in my back yard that apparently had a couple vines on them. Hell I had on long sleeves, long pants, gloves, and wasnt even running the chainsaw, but it jumped on me bad.
    I'm headed to the Dr as soon as she opens.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I now keep a couple bottles of rubbing alcohol on hand for working around the property. We have the stuff all over the place, growing on every tree, and until we move out there it's hell just trying to keep it at bay. I have found that by thinking of the leaves as "grease covered" it helps to remember how easily it is to get all over you. Alcohol will cut through the oils and get it off your skin, but you need to remove it fast. Even if you kill it, it still will contain the oils that cause the rash.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Man that sucks. I've handled it bare handed and in shorts and have yet to catch it. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself and it stays like that.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    When I was a kid, I would get a shot towards the end of winter to prevent it. The old Cajuns would find a vine that went to seed in the fall and eat about a dozen seeds. They claimed it would build up their resistance. Never could bring myself to do that.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    When I was a kid, I would get a shot towards the end of winter to prevent it. The old Cajuns would find a vine that went to seed in the fall and eat about a dozen seeds. They claimed it would build up their resistance. Never could bring myself to do that.

that sounds about like sniffing the skunks butt to build tolerance.

no thanks.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Luckily the only one I can get it the poison sumac. I've found the best way to get rid of any of em is try to scratch/ rub with a bleach rag then pour bleach every where it is. Once youve got the pours/sore open. Leave it until it starts to burn pretty good (20-30secs) and rinse it off. Do this before a shower twice in the day. Mine normally goes away the next day. An older man at the camp taught us that.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My usual go to is rub it with a scotch brite pad till it bursts and begins to bleed then liberally douse it with rubbing alcohol but its pretty widespread this time. I'm I'm the waiting room now gonna ask for a shot and a Zpak

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I got ate up with it big time about two weeks ago. Running a stump grinder at the office so I could put down a training building in its place lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396455644.006295.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396455644.006295.jpg
      188.8 KB · Views: 52

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    What purpose on earth does this satanic plant have? That stuff tears me up, always a trip to the Dr's for some steroid shots for me.....urrrgghhhh!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I got it last early summer. My longer-haired basset hound had gotten in it. I got it on my hands and then scratched my side and transferred it.

My dermatologist recognized it right off.

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    I keep a bottle of Tecnu in my truck to wash off with after I've been anywhere near it. But I have it right now from clearing 1000' of fence line and dropping 10 big oaks and pines with Ivy all over them. Oh well, win some lose most.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Country folks would do this also, I had a Doctor once tell me that if today's people knew about the old time cures then 75% of Doctors would be out of business.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If I'm not mistaken, poison sumac has the highest concentration of urushiol. I work outside and can't help but get a case or two every season. The exposure seems to be the worst in spring and summer, when the various poison plants are in their prime, so to speak. As a heavy sweater I've found that it just increases the exposure zone, spreads with perspiration. In fact, several times I've been exposed in places no man wants a poison plant rash, if you know what I mean.

As others have mentioned rubbing alcohol/bleach helps with initial exposure. It also seems to help as a treatment, once the rash has set in. Have taken many a bubble bath with 3-6 ounces of bleach, for complete coverage of rash, and the ole twig and berries. With bleach treatment it goes away in about 10-14 days, without, 3 weeks or more for a heavy exposure, but I 'm pretty allergic I guess.

Hope you get relief soon OP!

Top Bottom