Police scanners

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frogman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Uniden BC355N 800mhz 300ch narrow band. I have one ordered and I want to program it for Livingston and EBR. I can't get around much because of my back and this gives me something to listen to beside TV.
    Thank you sir, if you could help me.

Gene
    225-937-7008

Frogman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have ordered a Uniden BC 355N 800MHz 300 channel Narrow Band scanner. It is not very expensive, but the sites said I would get the most bang for my buck. I can't get around much because of a bad back and listening to a scanner helps past the time. The scanner I had programmed was damaged during the flood and I really do not know how, nor have the channels available, to program it. I would just want Livingston and East Baton Rouge parishes and the State trooper channel. would be glad to pay you for your help.
    Thank you very much, if you can help.

Gene Willard
    225-937-7008

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Livingston and BRFD Station Dispatch is all you can get with that.

$70 can get you on the LWIN, which is where most everything is at. Just requires a computer with a high end i5 processor or better.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Frog, stick with uniden, home patrol 2 is what is needed.. You can then program it yourself.. it loads the database from the internet.
    there are two models, both home patrol 2 work well.
    @suburban, are you using two dvb dongles? whats your solution?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Frog, stick with uniden, home patrol 2 is what is needed.. You can then program it yourself.. it loads the database from the internet.

That would probably be his best bet.
    I would like to know about the $70 deal too.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That would probably be his best bet.
    I would like to know about the $70 deal too.

I'm using 2 R820T2's with Wilson 800/1900mhz antennae. Unitrunker with a handbuilt directory (I started with the RadioReference directory and improved on it a bit) and DSDPlus for decoding. I've got a fairly decent weighting system built for the trunker that follows conversations well and targets conversations by order of interest (Interop>LSP>BRPD>EBRSO>Police Other> Fire>MAP>Random).

I have LPSO on an MD380 so I didn't add them to the Unitrunker channel tracking.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm using 2 R820T2's with Wilson 800/1900mhz antennae. Unitrunker with a handbuilt directory (I started with the RadioReference directory and improved on it a bit) and DSDPlus for decoding. I've got a fairly decent weighting system built for the trunker that follows conversations well and targets conversations by order of interest (Interop>LSP>BRPD>EBRSO>Police Other> Fire>MAP>Random).

I have LPSO on an MD380 so I didn't add them to the Unitrunker channel tracking.

Your decoder is good enough to listen to LSP and BRPD?

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your decoder is good enough to listen to LSP and BRPD?

Yes, slightly faster than they can hear themselves too :D It can also pull in radios with less-than-stellar Signal-to-Noise ratios. My decoder also records all transmissions on the fly and logs radio IDs.

I listened to the protests and the July 17th shooting (which honestly was a radio cluster**** from an interoperation perspective) from a 3rd floor office in downtown BR.

Last edited:

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    Just an aside, not meaning to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think about the Baofeng handhelds? I have a couple of the $45 jobs. Don't have much experience with HAM but starting to get into it. Would like to upgrade them later on down the road if possible. Already replaced the stock antenna with Nagoya. Seemed to increase the range and clarity.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, slightly faster than they can hear themselves too :D It can also pull in radios with less-than-stellar Signal-to-Noise ratios. My decoder also records all transmissions on the fly and logs radio IDs.

I listened to the protests and the July 17th shooting (which honestly was a radio cluster**** from an interoperation perspective) from a 3rd floor office in downtown BR.

You're ridiculous.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    the chinese radios are not very good at anything but will get the job done.. not really impressively.

cool on the dvb decoder setup..

A friend tested some Chinese radios with the best Motorola offers and the Chinese radios would transmit from a longer distance than the LEA Motorola radios.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Just an aside, not meaning to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think about the Baofeng handhelds? I have a couple of the $45 jobs. Don't have much experience with HAM but starting to get into it. Would like to upgrade them later on down the road if possible. Already replaced the stock antenna with Nagoya. Seemed to increase the range and clarity.

I have one and quite a few ham friends have them. All seem to like them for the price you can't beat them. I have some of the 2 meter repeaters programmed in mine and some LE stuff like Livingston Parish Sheriffs office and Denham Springs PD.
    I picked up a MFJ dual band antenna for it at the Jackson ham fest this year and seem to work pretty good.
    The 2 meter repeater I talk on is in the East/West Feliciana area. One night a few months ago my girlfriend and I were coming back from Biloxi and we were in her car so I didn't have my mobile I had this little radio. I could key our repeater on I-12 16 miles east of Hammond. It was late at night so there wasn't anyone to talk to but it did bring up the repeater. They probably wouldn't have copied me anyway.
    But they do work.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've got a Tytera MD380 with mod firmware (TDMA features, not more power) that will hit a 467mhz repeater from about 23 miles on high output.

Top Bottom