Police Stops: Your Legal Rights ( video link )

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lokin4AReason

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    behind a desk ....
    http://www.gunnews.com/police-stops-legal-rights/

I’ve seen it over and over again: Police get a call from some ignorant person about someone they saw carrying a gun. Police come to the scene and find a citizen in legal possession of a firearm, be it a handgun or a long gun. The officer then, based solely on the fact that they have a firearm, attempts to obtain the personal information of the individual. “My I see your ID please?” So, let me explain to everyone, including these officers, exactly how this works.

Until a crime has been committed, police may NOT require personal information from a citizen. They may ask for ID or they may ask to look at the gun.

However, until they have committed a crime or engaged in behavior that creates suspicion of committing a crime, your 2nd amendment rights are still protected by the 4th amendment right. Without probable cause, they may not require personal information; they may only ask. If they ask for a name, for ID, where I live, my gun’s serial ID, or what I like on my pizza, I don’t have to say anything, at all. They either ask hoping that you will volunteer the information or they’re ignorant of the fact that they don’t possess the authority to require the information.

Beyond that, confiscation of the firearm is protected by the same rights. The 2nd amendment states, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” This is followed by the less understood 4th amendment, which reads, “The right of the people to be secure in their persons…against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

Let us consider a couple of good examples here. San Antonio, TX, August 25th, 2013. Three men buy coffee at Starbucks to support to company open carry policy. The men inform management that they will be outside with the firearms, which the manager approves. Citizen reports to police that there are men at Starbucks with guns. Police arrive (several vehicles worth) and talk to the men, eventually agreeing that no laws are being violated. When police ask for ID, the men, though not legally required to, consent to have their ID’s validated. Then police Sgt. requests to know the serial numbers on the guns. The men decline to provide this information. The Sgt. threatens to charge the mean with disorderly conduct if they do not comply. They again decline, so they are individually cited. Police were outside of their legal authority and should be taken to court.

This event led to the Alamo rallies last week in San Antonio, protesting this sort of ignorant police behavior.

On Friday, Temple, Texas native and Army Master Sargent Christopher Grisham was on trial for “rudely displaying” an AR-15 while hiking with his son. This son was working on the BSA hiking merit badge, which required a 10 mile hike, and his father went with him. They were stopped by police, who had been called by a concerned citizen. Not in violation of any laws, the father would not consent to having his ID or gun taken by the officer, so he was arrested and the gun forcibly taken from him. The father and son recorded the entire event. “We are exempt from the law,” said the Police Sgt.

No officer, you actually aren’t. You enforce the law, nothing more.

A perfect example of how to handle these situations can be seen here. Now, it really is easier to comply, but your name will go into reports if you do. And, simply put, you have no obligation to, but the police should already know that. The number of Supreme Court rulings about police search and seizures is large. Just remember the following:

Terry v. Ohio: An officer may frisk a civilian if they feel under threat, but only then.

Delaware v. Prouse An officer may NOT stop/search until a law is suspected of being broken.

Brown v. Texas An officer may not request to view ID unless the individual is suspected of committing a crime.

Deberry v. U.S. “They might have a hunch he was a felon and so violating the law.   It would not matter, so far as the Fourth Amendment is concerned, as we explained earlier.”

“It’s just common practice sir.” “Yep, it’s illegal common practice.”

All that said, be aware of what local laws allow when open carrying. Most places allow open carry for long arms. Sometimes cities restrict bullets in the chamber, but not open carry. Sometimes handguns aren’t allowed to be open carried, but an AR-15 is allowed. Every state and city is different. Just know before you walk outside. Actually, you should know before you move there so you don’t have to put up with dumb laws. If you move to a place that openly restricts your second amendment rights, expect them to attack other rights as well.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Are you an attorney? Have you done any research into the relevant portions of the law in Louisiana? Several of the things your purporting to be fact aren't and I hope the membership here is smart enough to ignore your advice.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Opinions when represented as fact are pretty dangerous. The author is providing instructions on dealing with the police as if the law in all 50 states and in every jurisdiction in every state is the same. He also makes off base statements like.... your name will go into the reports... at least with the Agencies I have worked with most often when no crime has been committed no report is written. For some reason having confrontational strategies for dealing with the Police is becoming a trendy way of expressing individual freedom. There is a right way and a wrong way for dealing with Police Officers in the field. The right way it to be polite and comply with their request. At the conclusion of the interaction if you feel as though your rights were violated or a crime occurred you have redress via the Officers Supervisor or the courts. Both get far better results than being a prick and reciting a passage from a script written by some guy in the internet.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    http://www.gunnews.com/police-stops-legal-rights/

I’ve seen it over and over again: Police get a call from some ignorant person about someone they saw carrying a gun. Police come to the scene and find a citizen in legal possession of a firearm, be it a handgun or a long gun. The officer then, based solely on the fact that they have a firearm, attempts to obtain the personal information of the individual. “My I see your ID please?” So, let me explain to everyone, including these officers, exactly how this works.

Until a crime has been committed, police may NOT require personal information from a citizen. They may ask for ID or they may ask to look at the gun.

However, until they have committed a crime or engaged in behavior that creates suspicion of committing a crime, your 2nd amendment rights are still protected by the 4th amendment right. Without probable cause, they may not require personal information; they may only ask. If they ask for a name, for ID, where I live, my gun’s serial ID, or what I like on my pizza, I don’t have to say anything, at all. They either ask hoping that you will volunteer the information or they’re ignorant of the fact that they don’t possess the authority to require the information.

Beyond that, confiscation of the firearm is protected by the same rights. The 2nd amendment states, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” This is followed by the less understood 4th amendment, which reads, “The right of the people to be secure in their persons…against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

Let us consider a couple of good examples here. San Antonio, TX, August 25th, 2013. Three men buy coffee at Starbucks to support to company open carry policy. The men inform management that they will be outside with the firearms, which the manager approves. Citizen reports to police that there are men at Starbucks with guns. Police arrive (several vehicles worth) and talk to the men, eventually agreeing that no laws are being violated. When police ask for ID, the men, though not legally required to, consent to have their ID’s validated. Then police Sgt. requests to know the serial numbers on the guns. The men decline to provide this information. The Sgt. threatens to charge the mean with disorderly conduct if they do not comply. They again decline, so they are individually cited. Police were outside of their legal authority and should be taken to court.

This event led to the Alamo rallies last week in San Antonio, protesting this sort of ignorant police behavior.

On Friday, Temple, Texas native and Army Master Sargent Christopher Grisham was on trial for “rudely displaying” an AR-15 while hiking with his son. This son was working on the BSA hiking merit badge, which required a 10 mile hike, and his father went with him. They were stopped by police, who had been called by a concerned citizen. Not in violation of any laws, the father would not consent to having his ID or gun taken by the officer, so he was arrested and the gun forcibly taken from him. The father and son recorded the entire event. “We are exempt from the law,” said the Police Sgt.

No officer, you actually aren’t. You enforce the law, nothing more.

A perfect example of how to handle these situations can be seen here. Now, it really is easier to comply, but your name will go into reports if you do. And, simply put, you have no obligation to, but the police should already know that. The number of Supreme Court rulings about police search and seizures is large. Just remember the following:

Terry v. Ohio: An officer may frisk a civilian if they feel under threat, but only then.

Delaware v. Prouse An officer may NOT stop/search until a law is suspected of being broken.

Brown v. Texas An officer may not request to view ID unless the individual is suspected of committing a crime.

Deberry v. U.S. “They might have a hunch he was a felon and so violating the law.   It would not matter, so far as the Fourth Amendment is concerned, as we explained earlier.”

“It’s just common practice sir.” “Yep, it’s illegal common practice.”

All that said, be aware of what local laws allow when open carrying. Most places allow open carry for long arms. Sometimes cities restrict bullets in the chamber, but not open carry. Sometimes handguns aren’t allowed to be open carried, but an AR-15 is allowed. Every state and city is different. Just know before you walk outside. Actually, you should know before you move there so you don’t have to put up with dumb laws. If you move to a place that openly restricts your second amendment rights, expect them to attack other rights as well.

Here is a link and the text of the Louisiana State Law regarding this:

http://legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=112364

Art. 215.1. Temporary questioning of persons in public places; frisk and search for weapons

A. A law enforcement officer may stop a person in a public place whom he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit an offense and may demand of him his name, address, and an explanation of his actions.

B. When a law enforcement officer has stopped a person for questioning pursuant to this Article and reasonably suspects that he is in danger, he may frisk the outer clothing of such person for a dangerous weapon. If the law enforcement officer reasonably suspects the person possesses a dangerous weapon, he may search the person.

C. If the law enforcement officer finds a dangerous weapon, he may take and keep it until the completion of the questioning, at which time he shall either return it, if lawfully possessed, or arrest such person.

D. During detention of an alleged violator of any provision of the motor vehicle laws of this state, an officer may not detain a motorist for a period of time longer than reasonably necessary to complete the investigation of the violation and issuance of a citation for the violation, absent reasonable suspicion of additional criminal activity. However, nothing herein shall prohibit a peace officer from compelling or instructing the motorist to comply with administrative or other legal requirements of Title 32 or Title 47 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950.

Added by Acts 1968, No. 305, §1. Amended by Acts 1982, No. 686, §1; Acts 1983, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 32, §1; Acts 1997, No. 759, §3, eff. July 10, 1997.

JR1572

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Notice how the article is written to conceal the fact that the three men were not just open carrying handguns, they had rifles slung. The management asked them to leave because they were FILMING inside, so they chose to sit outside with rifles unslung and film stating that "If we are outside they can't say nothing." Sounds like they really got "management approval" there!:rolleyes: As people walk by in front of them while sitting outside, they stop them and ask them their opinions on open carry while one guy holds up his rifle showing it to them.

Super bunch of guys there...... The writer considers this a good example?

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Just another one of those threads, where some Derp is trolling. All these open carry idiots are just hurting the cause more than helping it.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Yes, be polite and comply with anything and everything the police want to do no, matter what.

product_thumbnail.php

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thats not what I'm saying,

Option A: Act like an idiot and risk your time, money, freedom, and possibly your well being.

Option B: Abide and then win real and lasting satisfaction in court.

Which works better for you. For all the nobility of peaceful protest it historically has limited value. Taking a stand as an individual doesn't legislate or change interpretation of existing laws. Going to court and making your case often times does. If you wanna spend your free time getting arrested and being a martyr by all means proceed but know you aren't going to accomplish much.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Some people open carry looking to further the fight to prove some cops wrong, some people do it to because they can't legally carry concealed. Doing something for the wrong reason is still wrong. If I see some young men with rifles slung over there back and pistols on their sides, I'm not accepting that as normal behavior for that specific group, and I would alert local authorities. Better be safe than sorry, too many unnecessary shootings going on these days. I got kids to keep safe.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Couldn't make it past the first paragraph without hearing some little bitch with a crappy DPMS that's only had one "clip" shot through it or a Hi-Point in some tactical commando nylon drop-leg holster arguing with an actual combat veteran who just so happens to be a poilce officer. Now who in the f**k do you think cares more about American's rights? The guy who has given pretty much everything but his life for America, or the little prick who has an infatuation with making YouTube videos?

Yes, be polite and comply with anything and everything the police want to do no, matter what.

product_thumbnail.php

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your problem with law enforcement? I'm not LEO or in any way affiliated with law enforcement. I'm just wondering if the cops in your area are that bad or if you are like every other crack head who thinks the police are out to get them. Proably just reading too many thriller novels. Either way, it's freaking annoying.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thats not what I'm saying,

Option A: Act like an idiot and risk your time, money, freedom, and possibly your well being.

Option B: Abide and then win real and lasting satisfaction in court.

Which works better for you. For all the nobility of peaceful protest it historically has limited value. Taking a stand as an individual doesn't legislate or change interpretation of existing laws. Going to court and making your case often times does. If you wanna spend your free time getting arrested and being a martyr by all means proceed but know you aren't going to accomplish much.

You are mostly correct here, except bringing a matter through the courts is expensive! Even if you win (and there are certainly no guarantees), you will most likely spend a lot of money, time, and energy to try.

I think what the problem is for many Libertarian types is why does it fall on the responsibility of the citizen to prove innocence if they were truly innocent to begin with?

The line where these **** stirrers want to intentionally antagonize authorities and those that would not is not blurry. But those that are not, should not have to "Prove" anything.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Out of curiosity, what exactly is your problem with law enforcement? I'm not LEO or in any way affiliated with law enforcement. I'm just wondering if the cops in your area are that bad or if you are like every other crack head who thinks the police are out to get them. Proably just reading too many thriller novels. Either way, it's freaking annoying.

You are misinterpreting his intentions. There is clearly an effort in this country to control people. Not necessarily just law enforcement either. If, as VG implies, you should just be polite and comply, aren't you automatically surrendering your Rights just to make some one, some organization, some government's job easier for possibly no reason? What if you are truly (and I emphasize the word truly), innocent? And I mean, right down the line innocent. Not standing on some private lawn, spitting on the sidewalk, etc..

Shouldn't you be able to decide whether or not you choose to be civil with anyone or not? There is no crime against being an ******* or impolite.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The ACLU loves to embarrass cops and doesn't cost a dime. They have a few offices in La and take gun cases.

Emperor, your confusing emotional ideals with realities. When your noble resistance based on a law you don't really know or
    Understand or god forbid got from a forum or blog gets you in bracelets or starts a cascade of events that ends with your ass skinned up or in the worse case with your shirt soaked blame The Man and take comfort in your ideal. Their are processes for redressing wrongs in this country and they work. Trying to hold a session of the Apellate Courtnin the street doesn't work ever. Even less so when guns are involved. Keep in mind the other armed guy in all these equations doesn't know you. He doesn't know that your a freedom loving American who's just out to provoke a response and make a statement. He thinks most armed people he encounters are capable of harming him and rightly so. He also lives in a world where crazy guys with guns are walking into public places and murdering people with alarming regularity. If he's smart he will take control of you and the situation quickly and professionally. If he's a scared or inexpirences bad **** may happen. Being "Right" is not a form of payment most hospitals accept. Stupid Games Stupid Prozes.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You are misinterpreting his intentions. There is clearly an effort in this country to control people. Not necessarily just law enforcement either. If, as VG implies, you should just be polite and comply, aren't you automatically surrendering your Rights just to make some one, some organization, some government's job easier for possibly no reason? What if you are truly (and I emphasize the word truly), innocent? And I mean, right down the line innocent. Not standing on some private lawn, spitting on the sidewalk, etc..

Shouldn't you be able to decide whether or not you choose to be civil with anyone or not? There is no crime against being an ******* or impolite.

In any interaction between two people their are at a minimum 3 Points of View. Your perception and belief in your innocence may not be shared by the other party. When he is armed as well their is an extremely high risk of a poor outcome. I don't think the percentages are favorable.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The ACLU loves to embarrass cops and doesn't cost a dime. They have a few offices in La and take gun cases.

Emperor, your confusing emotional ideals with realities. When your noble resistance based on a law you don't really know or
    Understand or god forbid got from a forum or blog gets you in bracelets or starts a cascade of events that ends with your ass skinned up or in the worse case with your shirt soaked blame The Man and take comfort in your ideal. Their are processes for redressing wrongs in this country and they work. Trying to hold a session of the Apellate Courtnin the street doesn't work ever. Even less so when guns are involved. Keep in mind the other armed guy in all these equations doesn't know you. He doesn't know that your a freedom loving American who's just out to provoke a response and make a statement. He thinks most armed people he encounters are capable of harming him and rightly so. He also lives in a world where crazy guys with guns are walking into public places and murdering people with alarming regularity. If he's smart he will take control of you and the situation quickly and professionally. If he's a scared or inexpirences bad **** may happen. Being "Right" is not a form of payment most hospitals accept. Stupid Games Stupid Prozes.

Living free and easy is just a song lyric. We are living in a pressure cooker and running out of room for expansion. Is there a systemic reason that people are being killed with more regularity? Don't know. Dummies would say (as we all know), it's guns. But that is the fallaciously cheap answer. I think one would have to be severely mentally retarded to think that a peace officers job was not a hazardous one, but alas; some do, or worse; don't care. So you know what? F those people! I don't defend douches like that. But what we can ill afford is having more of the peaceful law abiding citizens kowtowing to authority, just because of the threat or the regularity of retards with guns. But that's exactly what we are doing.

Why is it, that the citizenry we should be encouraging more of, takes the brunt of restricted civil liberties every time a dumbass shows him/herself? I get it! Cops want to go home safely. So do I. But we (societally), are taking the easy approach which is, assume that EVERYONE is a potential threat and let things shake out, and regardless if it was right or wrong in the end. That is where we have landed, and it's not the right course of action in a supposedly "Free" society.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In any interaction between two people their are at a minimum 3 Points of View. Your perception and belief in your innocence may not be shared by the other party. When he is armed as well their is an extremely high risk of a poor outcome. I don't think the percentages are favorable.

You're right! The problem is if we don't put up with these dummies that sling AR's for attention, we will eventually have to admit that we can't maintain true 2A freedoms the way we believe them to be. And as soon as we do that, they got us!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think your completely wrong. In the same way that during the American Civil Rights Movement MLK Jr didn't say we have to tolerate the Radical Black Separatist Movements and in fact often advocated against supporting them. Feeling like you have to condone the actions of the fringe to avoid criticizing the whole is a very flawed idea.

Top Bottom