Poll: *Appendix/Crotch Carry* Do you? Have You? Why or Why not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCing via Crotch Carry Method

• Sometimes I do.

Votes: 15 22.7%
    • It is my preferred/primary method of carry.

Votes: 7 10.6%
    • I have never and will never carry this way.

Votes: 33 50.0%
    • I might in the future.

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    First off;
    I was in my local gun shop the other day and was talking to an Off Duty LEO about Gun Stuff. He mentioned something about the XDM to which I replied that I had one too etc.etc. He then said he carries it on/off duty and mentioned that he was carrying at the moment and made a jester towards his crotch. Without skipping a beat he says yea I use a Uncle Mike's holster while pulling up his shirt to show me. His point was that he actually CC's the Full size XDM via Crotch carry.

Secondly;
    Over the last year Louisianan’s are getting their CHP more and more. So the talk of it and method of carry is a common topic. I've noticed more and more folks are indeed carrying via the Crotch Carry. I've also heard from some folks who are a bit round around the hips that Carry this way is more comfortable for them.

So I tried it out, in the backyard. I can actually Draw/Point a bit Faster from the Crotch than from the 4 0'clock position.

Just wondering if anyone here carries this way and why or why not.

Cheers and KEEP IT CLEAN PLEASE!

Last edited:

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    While it was nice to be able to carry my G19 fully concealed, I did not do it for long. Sometimes it would get caught on clothing, and sometimes it would get in an uncomfortable position. I tried several different holsters, and finally tossed them all in a box.

I now carry a G36 in a crossbreed.

Your poll is missing an option - "I tried it, but did not like it"

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Oh hell no.
    happy0170.gif

Why I don't & won't? I happen to think it's nuts. ;) :D

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    The biggest reason I carry forward of 3 o'clock (about 2) is, it is much easier for me to use my off hand to clear my shirt when the gun is in front. I don't have to reach across my body as far when grabbing my shirt to lift. I can lift nearly straight up my mid-line, with my off hand, as opposed to swinging my off hand further to my right side to lift, which was necessary and a lot less reliable for me when I tried to carry to the rear of 3 o'clock.

YMMV

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I tried it, and didn't like it for two reasons:

1. It was just plain uncomfortable for me. I'm driving over 2 hours a day, and my job requires a lot of bending over and lifting, no matter where I shifted my holster the gun was constantly digging into something. Drawing while seated in my car was damn awkward at best, virtually impossible at worst.

2. **** happens. Despite the most valiant training attempts, **** can and will happen. Hence the "never point your gun at anything you don't intend to destroy" rule. Having a loaded gun pointes at my junk and/or femoral artery just never sat right with me.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I usually use a SmartCarry with my M&P compact when I'm at work (dress code is- polo shirt tucked into slacks) and I guess that counts. Haven't found a good tuckable holster that I honestly feel like is concealed. I have a Supertuck, but I find the belt clips are still quite obvious.

I find draw with the SmartCarry is pretty slow, so when I have to use it, I generally consider that to be my backup gun, and will carry a snubbie either in the pocket or on the ankle for quicker deployment.

I don't see a problem with safety using this method. Way I see it, sitting with the weapon at 2:00 basically points the barrel at or very close to the femoral, so if you're not confident your weapon won't go off, that's far from preferred also.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I don't see a problem with safety using this method. Way I see it, sitting with the weapon at 2:00 basically points the barrel at or very close to the femoral, so if you're not confident your weapon won't go off, that's far from preferred also.

True Appendix --let's say 1 o'clock for arguments' sake-- yes. At 2 o'clock, with the right IWB holster, the gun and holster lies down along the side of the leg. Of course, that's on me. No artery in the way.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I usually use a SmartCarry with my M&P compact when I'm at work (dress code is- polo shirt tucked into slacks) and I guess that counts. Haven't found a good tuckable holster that I honestly feel like is concealed. I have a Supertuck, but I find the belt clips are still quite obvious.

I find draw with the SmartCarry is pretty slow, so when I have to use it, I generally consider that to be my backup gun, and will carry a snubbie either in the pocket or on the ankle for quicker deployment.

Like this?

holster-for-every-body-smart-carry.jpg

e2oajhznp6d1r5qkootg.jpg

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    True Appendix --let's say 1 o'clock for arguments' sake-- yes. At 2 o'clock, with the right IWB holster, the gun and holster lies down along the side of the leg. Of course, that's on me. No artery in the way.

Maybe I need a better holster, then? If Raven wouldn't take almost 6 months to deliver... :mad:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Right. I actually like my smartcarry, but I wouldn't use it for my primary. It's great for hiding a larger weapon, but draw speed is somewhere in the 5-second range.

With shirt tucked in right.

When I tried it I left the Grip above the waistline. I see that's not possible for SmartCarry.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    With shirt tucked in right.

When I tried it I left the Grip above the waistline. I see that's not possible for SmartCarry.

Right, smartcarry actually puts the whole gun below the waistline. That's why it's a slow draw. You have to actually reach down there to get it. It is rather comfortable, though, and I've heard of people concealing full-size 1911's with it. It's a handy way to carry if you're just throwing on some gym shorts to run to the store too.

Top Bottom