Poll

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Any interest in the suppressors from :

-Dead Air
    -Sig
    -thunderbeast (new ultra series)

After playing with the above stuff they look legit and each have s nitche.

What say the masses?

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    I have a TBAC 22L-1 and a 30p-1 (recent purchase) and really like them. They sell themselves as an accuracy first manufacturer. There are lots of reviews/accounts of the 30p-1 tightening groups. My research also showed that the 30p-1 has been and continues to be the go-to suppressor for long-range hunting/shooting. My two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess I'm interested in all three, but Dead Air and Sig seem too new to commit to. Here's how I understand it:

- Dead Air: New guys. Marketing similar to the old AAC. Don't know anything else about them.

- Sig Silencers: Excellent pedigree of engineers. Taper-Lok mount system looks pretty cool. I'm expecting great things and innovation.

- Thunderbeast: I've heard nothing but good things from the precision shooters. Seems like a solid product that already has a strong following.

Of course, you're the salesman, so tell me about 'em!

Last edited:

TTNKountze

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    When you talk to Dead Air, they will tell you they distinguish themselves based on the mount. Thunderbeast is the choice of a large percentage of the long distance precision crowd. Added benefit (not that this is that big a deal), but they will clean your suppressor once a year if you pay the freight. Silencerco is the other big name in long distance precision shooting. I'm not sold on the Sig suppressors. Haven't seen them yet and haven't talked to anyone with first-hand experience. Of the three listed, I'd vote for Thunderbeast.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I only handled the Dead Air cans at SHOT and can vouch for the guys involved, but I was impressed with what I saw. Probably the most intuitive QD suppressor mount system I've seen, and the overall quality looked great. Looking forward to seeing them in action, I have a feeling they will be winners.

Same with Sig cans. Very impressed with the engineering and build quality. But obviously the proof is in the pudding so we'll see.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Its almost kind of sad y'all don't know who Dead Air (Mike Pappas) is, its like just finding out this week we put a man on the moon. He is a good friend of mine and quite possibly the best suppressor engineer in the country. I do not normally buy suppressor but but his will be one that I get, and as far a TB goes there are other suppressor out there that people don't hear of that far out perform them.

Sig suppressors are being made from the people in the fallout of AAC btw.
    Mike Pappas was the top guy at Silencerco.

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Its almost kind of sad y'all don't know who Dead Air (Mike Pappas) is, its like just finding out this week we put a man on the moon. He is a good friend of mine and quite possibly the best suppressor engineer in the country. I do not normally buy suppressor but but his will be one that I get, and as far a TB goes there are other suppressor out there that people don't hear of that far out perform them.

Could you enlighten us about TBs competition? Are you talking noise reduction or accuracy? I'm always looking for some new products to research.

Thanks

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Could you enlighten us about TBs competition? Are you talking noise reduction or accuracy? I'm always looking for some new products to research.

Thanks

Tac Ops Suppressors for noise reduction and accuracy are fantastic, the main thing with suppressors that people fail to realize is how concentric the suppressor is. Thunderbeast is very good do not get me wrong but there are at least 5 other suppressor manufacturers out there that can deliver an equally good product. The weight of the suppressor for the most part is irrelevant all it does is give you different types of POI shift but they are all minimal.

Buy any suppressor and bring it to me I will put it in my ground threaded chuck and spin it on the lathe, if the run out on the suppressor is any more than .001 then someone didn't take time in constructing it. For example when we build suppressors for shooters the last can I dialed in had .0004 runout. Do the same thing with any QD can or even a Harvester and the runout is no less than .009 its enough you can see it with the naked eye.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

I was previously aware of the Sig / AAC relationship, but did not know that about Dead Air / Silencerco. I only heard their name for the first time late last year.

It's great to have some new players in the game. Competition breeds innovation.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria

1. Wait - they put MAN on the MOON? You have a link to support this wild claim?
    2. Seriously, I also would like more info on the cans (esp in .308) that "far out-perform" TB.
    3. Do I understand correctly that Mike left Silencerco to form Dead Air? That would certainly make Dead Air worth considering, IMO.
    Thanks for the input.
    Ed

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I was previously aware of the Sig / AAC relationship, but did not know that about Dead Air / Silencerco. I only heard their name for the first time late last year.

It's great to have some new players in the game. Competition breeds innovation.

Mikes main reason for leaving SiCo was that he wanted to make products using certain materials and felt SiCo wanted to push inferior cans and didn't want to up the build costs of suppressors to deliver better products. So he started Dead Air which revolves around the principle of making suppressors with the best materials on the planet at the highest quality without sacrificing price. I have the metering for the suppressors as well as unit prices which are generally not published yet. All his suppressors are quite possibly the quietest out there right now in their calibers and categories.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    1. Wait - they put MAN on the MOON? You have a link to support this wild claim?
    2. Seriously, I also would like more info on the cans (esp in .308) that "far out-perform" TB.
    3. Do I understand correctly that Mike left Silencerco to form Dead Air? That would certainly make Dead Air worth considering, IMO.
    Thanks for the input.
    Ed

1. Well it could have been staged in a movie studio
    2. Tac Ops though the weight is horrible is doing a mighty fine job of it, ARMTAC is keeping up with them, as well as a few other smaller suppressor manufactures. Point is just because there are people out there making suppressors you haven't heard of doesn't mean you should automatically assume that only TB makes a can "of that quality". Sometimes I worry about the forum Kool-Aid that is in everyone mugs. Diversity is a healthy thing it makes life more entertaining !
    3. Yes Mike left SiCo, the stuff he is making is badass.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    My experience with thunderbeast has been great. I compete in 600y matches with them monthly and can tell you that poi shift is minimal and the accuracy is proven in my score cards. If stating that a can does what it is designed to do is drinking Kool Aid, I'll have another big glass.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    My experience with thunderbeast has been great. I compete in 600y matches with them monthly and can tell you that poi shift is minimal and the accuracy is proven in my score cards. If stating that a can does what it is designed to do is drinking Kool Aid, I'll have another big glass.

Completely missed my jest, but I am not terribly surprised really. Keep on keeping on I suppose with TB, cannot say I blame you though.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Part of what makes Pappas great is not only does he speak highly of his competition, he refrains from doing things like calling the supporters of his competition "kool-aid drinkers". Says a lot about him...

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Part of what makes Pappas great is not only does he speak highly of his competition, he refrains from doing things like calling the supporters of his competition "kool-aid drinkers". Says a lot about him...

Man two people in one night who took what I said out of contexts, either the literacy rate tonight is low or you all are just looking for a fight. From me though you will not get unfortunately. A firm grasp in the understanding of what someone is trying to convey is a necessity on the internet when trying to make a decent rebuttal.

But as an example someone please explain to me why Thunderbeast cans are superior to other DT rifle suppressor, for nothing more than a quality debate? Do you indeed know the answer because you took time to understand the dynamics of what a suppressor does and the negative and or positive effects it has on a rifle barrel? Or did you merely read it on google that someone said its the best thing ever made. The majority of people just go off what people write particularly on hide. Though I cannot blame people for doing so, but instead of even attempting to do your own research you go with what everyone recommends. I can understand why Mickey bought the can, he has had it quite some time and knows exactly what he is doing.
    Primary example of the internet kool-aid is SiCo Harvesters and .40 Ospreys, so take it for what its worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom