Popular gun range target blamed for forest fires, called potential bomb source

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    What I found interesting is that a government agency can unitlaterally enact a rule that has the full force of law including fines and jail time if violated. So much for representation.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Honestly, I am surprised it took this long to come under scrutiny. Leave it to dumb ass end users and government regulations to ruin any fun activity.

By the way, I highly doubt that when an explosive target, by itself, is set off would set a fire. The explosion is fierce enough to blow out any flame.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    You can bet that anything that is safe and fun if used properly, yet potentially harmful if not, will quickly be taken off the market because of what some jackass manages to destroy with it.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    We need someone to take a jar of this stuff to the next Advantage Group Carbine class and have Nate demonstrate that no fire (incident) will occur when it gets shot. Hell, maybe put it in a car and shoot it! LOL!!!!

(For those of you who attend on a regular, know what I mean.) :naughty:

Last edited:

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I can't imagine a legit range allowing the use of this product. I know it's not allowed at Fuselier Complex. Where down here at either a public, or membership only range, is this allowed? Just curious.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have used quite a few of these binary targets, fire not even a concern. We have done them in leaves, dead grass, on stumps, etc. and never even a hint of fire.
    So, next time I shoot some of them, I am going to pour gasoline on the ground just to see if it will light it!

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    We need someone to take a jar of this stuff to the next Advantage Group Carbine class and have Nate demonstrate that no fire (incident) will occur when it gets shot. Hell, maybe put it in a car and shoot it! LOL!!!!

(For those of you who attend on a regular, know what I mean.) :naughty:
    Been there done that.It wont start a fire it eats one of the main thing fire needs to live.The air.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I have used quite a few of these binary targets, fire not even a concern. We have done them in leaves, dead grass, on stumps, etc. and never even a hint of fire.
    So, next time I shoot some of them, I am going to pour gasoline on the ground just to see if it will light it!

Tried that, it wont.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I heard that some people might be duct taping old water bottles filled with gasoline to the targets creating a substantial fireball. This could be the source of the fires.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Observers said that when fuel is added to the Tannerite and the car is fired on from a helicopter it will ignite and burn.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Well, maybe I didn't hold my mouth right when I tried it. But from my experience, gas doesn't ignite when near the explosion. However, I know it can be done somehow from watching others shooting the targets and making a fireball explosion. I just haven't figured it out. Not that i've tried hard to do it, but the couple setups I tried did fail.

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    What I found interesting is that a government agency can unitlaterally enact a rule that has the full force of law including fines and jail time if violated. So much for representation.

This, to me, is the real story.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom