Powder recommendations .40 sw

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Oh, and when someone says that a certain load is "soft", please remember that this is completely subjective to what that shooter percieves. For instance I feel that a 200g bullet loaded with WSF is "softer" recoiling than the same bullet loaded to the same PF with N320 or TG. This statement is completely ass backwards to what most other USPSA shooters will tell you, but that is what I percieve when I shoot.

This also has a lot to do with the way the gun is set up. A Para with same weight recoil and main spring will feel different than a STI shooting the same load.
    The way "YOU" control recoil will be different than anyone else. You have got to do some testing and see what works best for you.
    Do you want the cleanest burning? Best feeling? Or most accurate?
    There is no hard and fast rule as to which powder is the best.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Went to the range to test some loads. All are loaded with 200gr Bayou Bullets RN, Fed Sp100 primers, Mixed brass and OAL of 1.133. All fired from a M&P Pro .40 with 5" barrel, full length titanium guide rod (adds a little over an oz of wt), 15# recoil spring. All averages are from 10 shot strings.
    Keeping in mind I need a minimum velocity of 825 fps to make major. My goal is ~850 fps avg. for a little cushion.

Powder: Bluedot
    6.3 gr avg. f.p.s. - 937 This is a full 20% less than the max listing for this bullet in one of my reloading manuals. There is also a warning stating that Alliant doesn't recommend shooting the 200 gr bullet in 40 cal due to bullet length requiring deep seating depth and possible powder compression. Recoil was fairly hard. Not a fun round to shoot imo.

5.6 gr avg. f.p.s. - 863 One of two "keeper" loads I came up with today. Very pleasant to shoot. Need to put together 100 of these and check accuracy and dirtiness factor.

Powder - WST

3.7 fps - 772
    3.9 fps - 809 Didn't make PF try again later

Powder - Universal

4.3 fps - 893 Not bad. A little hot
    4.1 fps - 866 The second load that meets all my criteria. Will do further testing.

I did not test any loads using titegroup but I had some that I had made up using berry's 180 gr bullet so I checked them out too.

Powder - Titegroup

4.2 fps - 863 Need 925 fps to make Major PF. The recoil was what I think everyone talks about when describing the 40. "Snappy" While it wasn't uncomfortable, there were other loads that felt better in my hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom