PPK versus Sig P238 versus XD9 subcompact recoil

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Hey all,

My uncle asked me how bad the recoil was on the Walther PPK versus the Sig P238 when compared to his XD9. He's trying to find something for my aunt to carry, and she thinks the XD9 kicks too much. I told him I'd be shocked if the .380s recoiled less than his XD9 based on my experience with the Kel-Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. I could be wrong, but I could have sworn the PPK and 238 were blowback in nature, and that usually means more felt recoil for the shooter. Both he and I are worried that if it kicks too much, my aunt won't want to carry or practice.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any insight that can be shared regarding the PPK and the P238.

possrullin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Ruston, LA
    I bought my wife a P238 to carry. She likes to shoot it but she does complain about the recoil some. Her comment to me was it is not the as much recoil but the size combined with the recoil.

Also, I feel more comfortable with her carrying her revolver because the of the P238 needs to be carried condition 1.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I love my p238 and it shoots nothing like the lcp. The slide is easy to maneuver and recoil is very easy on the hand. I would recommend it to anyone comfortable with a 1911 setup.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    My wife has a bersa thunder cc and has never complained about the recoil, but she hated the 637 snub nose recoil. If that helps and she has small hands

Geezer Squid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife has a P238 HD (Stainless Steel) with a 12 pound recoil spring in it. The HD weighs about 6 ounces more than the alloy P238. That weight plus the 12 lb. spring makes this gun a very soft shooting pistol. My wife handles the recoil with ease and she is very, very sensitive to recoil. YMMV.

ETA: it also helps to use the 7 round mag and give the shooter's pinky finger a place on the grip.

Last edited:

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    Felt recoil depends on the individual. I believe that you should try a gun before buying if possible. Let your aunt pick her own pistol, that way she wil be happy with it. Dave

Globallyoff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I had a PPKS American .380. The recoil and muzzle blast was a handful not to mention the possibility of hammer bite. I sold it and kept my Sig P232. Still snappy, but more manageable for me. It's the only double
    action auto I have left since I don't favor that manual of arms. I would recommend she try a S&W 642 with some good self defense ammo.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    After reading this write-up, it appears that I was wrong about the P238 being blowback, but not about the PPK. Regardless, I don't think either mousegun is for my aunt. :(

Kind of funny, I told my aunt the same thing about how the PPK isn't really the best first gun and isn't terribly user-friendly, and she ended up getting one anyway because she liked it. She still has it, has shot it and is proud to have it.

Top Bottom