Prairie Dog Hunt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wkgordon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Gonzales
    Getting packed up for a PD hunt in a week. Have loaded about 2500 rounds of 204. Also have 1000 rounds of 17 hmr packed up. Not overdoing it, figure it is like bait when fishing... Never want to run out of bait or ammo.

Will be hunting in West Texas, praying that the wind will lay down while we are there. My skills are not great when compensating for wind deflection.

My son asked a buddy if he was interested in going, said he didn't feel comfortable shooting dogs. Should have asked him if he wanted to go shoot desert nutria.

Kirk

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Let us know how it goes. Been wanting to go but haven't had the chance to go. Do you know what kind of distances you are looking at shooting? If you don't mind me asking, how much is the trip costing? if you don't want to post you can PM me details.

Peter

wkgordon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Gonzales
    Will try to post some pics. Distance depends on how far you set up from the dogs. 204 should be good to 400 yards +, 17HMR only out to 200. (at least when I am on the trigger, sure that there are a lot of folks that can do much better)

Kirk

Last edited:

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I have always wanted to do that with my son in laws, I will be very interested in your thoughts and experiences.
    Best wishes for a great trip!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have a co worker who has done it several times, he claims he usually takes 4 rifles with him, and some are actually the same caliber, the reason being is that the barrels over heat from shooting too much so its easier to just switch over to a diferent weapon and go back at it.

Aparently is a BIG thing in West Texas and farmers actually pay this people who setup the hunts, those little bastards take over your ranch/property and then you might as well pack and move.

Sounds like fun, specially since there is NO cleaning, what better reactive target than a head exploting ??? hehe ......

wkgordon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Gonzales
    I bought a Non-resident 5 day Special Hunting license for 48 dollars.

Learning to deal with the wind was a challenge. 30 mph with gusts over 40 every day made it tough. First day our closest kill was 270 yds with the longest at 492. I was really hoping for a 500 yard kill but couldn't make it happen.

Today our nearest kill was 176 yds with the longest at 416. First time using the 204s for PDs and it was great. Took a Ruger 77 and a Les Baer Super Varmint. The Baer won the day because most dogs took more than one shot to gauge the wind. Also had 17 HMRs and 22 LRs, they didn't have a good day with the long ranges and the wind.

It was blowing so hard that empty magazines for the Baer would blow off the shooting table.

We still had a great time and will do it again.

Kirk

Top Bottom