Preferred method for cleaning 22 can??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Like the title says, wondering what you guys do to clean your 22 cans. My 22 sparrow is due for a cleaning and wondering what people here have had success with? Dont really wanna mess with the dip.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Just give it to me and I will take care of it!! Not sure when I will be done though......
    Red_devil.gif

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been wondering the same thing, sometimes the crud in my sparrow is hard to scrape off. I wonder what's the best product to remove lead and carbon.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I have an all stainless can (not sure what the Sparrow is made of) and I soak it in hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. I hear its no good on aluminum and is poisonous as well but it works for me.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Just give it to me and I will take care of it!! Not sure when I will be done though......
    Red_devil.gif

Lol, seems like it may just get dirtier. Hmmm

I've been wondering the same thing, sometimes the crud in my sparrow is hard to scrape off. I wonder what's the best product to remove lead and carbon.

I was thinking of trying a cheap ultra sonic and scraping in between. What solution have you used to clean when scraping?

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I have an all stainless can (not sure what the Sparrow is made of) and I soak it in hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. I hear its no good on aluminum and is poisonous as well but it works for me.

Yeah I read the aftermath is pretty toxic. How are you disposing of the leftover ?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I am going to throw this out there because a friend that I am deployed with suggested it. He has multiple cans and he uses "scrubbing bubbles", you know, the bathroom cleaner stuff. He sprays it in it then lets it sit for awhile and then drops it in a bucket of hot water or the sink. YMMV :dunno:

I know I used to do this to my M16 back in the day and all you have to do is oil it really well afterwards. It was very clean though.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Like the title says, wondering what you guys do to clean your 22 cans. My 22 sparrow is due for a cleaning and wondering what people here have had success with? Dont really wanna mess with the dip.

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a table top blast cabinet. Use a glass bead media and blast it clean. Careful when opening the cabinet as the lead dust will escape a bit and you don't want to inhale that.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA

that's "the DIP". pretty toxic stuff that has to be disposed of at a HAZMAT center. the Gen II SS Sparrows are truly, all stainless, the Gen I SS Sparrows were stainless, but the outer tube was made from carbon steel.

the DIP is probably the easiest way to clean a SS suppressor, problem is, it's toxic and many people don't want to deal with it.

i may try the SS tumbling method. haven't tried that before on a core.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i don't have mine yet but i just sent my paper work out for my sparrow. but are they really that hard to clean? part of the reason i went with the sparrow beside being multi cal is because of the way it comes apart for easier cleaning. seems like any good bore cleaner should clean it up without much fuss? maybe spray some gun scrubber on it and let it soak for a few then scrub it off?

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i don't have mine yet but i just sent my paper work out for my sparrow. but are they really that hard to clean? part of the reason i went with the sparrow beside being multi cal is because of the way it comes apart for easier cleaning. seems like any good bore cleaner should clean it up without much fuss? maybe spray some gun scrubber on it and let it soak for a few then scrub it off?

if you shoot it a lot w/o cleaning, it can get difficult, really difficult. i recommend you clean it after every 200-300 rounds. i soaked mine in transmission fluid and mineral spirits and it got some carbon off, but the problem is the lead is still there.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    If you took it apart and use a little wire wheel on a dremel (low speed) to clean up the parts coated with lead that should help alot I would think at least would be time consuming though.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Top Bottom