Preparation Resources

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    I'm going to try to get a bunch of resources into one thread. Here goes.

Food Storage

Mylar bags: These can be found all over the web. They are available in silver or OD, and possible a few different colors. No matter what, get something that will not allow light to enter your supply. I order from HERE but there are many places and probably better deals out there. Try www.sorbentsystems.com if you want to read further about mylar bags. To seal food in a Mylar bag, all you need is a decent iron and something hard to seal the bag on. Be sure that your hard surface won't catch fire after a few seconds under a hot iron. Use the wool setting.

Oxygen Absorbers: These are essential to making your food supply last. They not only aid in preventing bacterial growth, as well as starving insects of their oxygen supply. Be sure to use enough oxygen absorbers for the size back you're storing in. Generally you need a 300-500cc oxygen absorber for a 5gal bucket. Make sure when you seal these in your Mylar bags, you squeeze out as much air as possible. THIS is a good source of info on sizing. These can be purchased from hundreds of stores and they are usually cheap.

What to Store: HERE is a link to the LDS food storage calculator. One thing to keep in mind when preparing a long term food storage in advance, is that you should buy foods that you will actually eat. There is no point in buying 5 years worth of powdered milk if you're lactose intolerant, no matter what the prep guides say. Make sure you have your staples; rice, grain, beans. Remember to buy white rice, as brown rice will go rancid within the first year in most settings, but white rice will last 20-30years is properly stored. Canned goods generally store for MUCH longer then their expiration date, but be sure the can is not bulging or leaking, and always smell it before you eat it. If it smells bad, don't take any chances. Botulism can KILL YOU, and if you're needing these supplies medical help probably isn't a phone call away. If you live in an area where you are likely NOT to bug out in the event of a long term survival situation, plan a garden now, as it will be one of your best investments when the fecal matter hits the rotating oscillator.

Cooking: Most stored food has to be cooked, and even old canned food should be heated to 200+ degrees to kill off any bacteria that might have grown on it(note: botulism can't be boiled out of food). If things get real bad, you might not have electricity, so have a backup, and a backup for your backup. If you're just cooking and heating water, 100gals of propane will last a family of 5 about 6 months, longer if you use it carefully. Be prepared to cook using firewood, as it is one of the only resources you can pretty much guarantee being available. Get a good cast iron skillet, and a dutch oven. Use can use them no matter what you use for cooking fuel, and they'll last you 3 lifetimes. Store a bunch of Bic lighters, waterproof matches, and Firesteel or flint rock. If you only use it for starting fires, the Bics alone should last you a year, but if they get wet you'll have a backup.

Shelter: It is essential. In a shtf situation, most of us will have our homes to stay in for at least the first day or so, but after that what will you do? People who live inside the city limits will have a short amount of time to stay there without getting ransacked in the event of riots, do you have a bug out plan? You should have multiple locations planned in the event that you have to leave your primary residence in the event of a disaster. For hurricanes, you might have to go anywhere but South. If riots were to start in your city, you would want to head to the least populated area possible that can sustain you and your family. Plan them out on a map, and have essential gear packed(or capable of being packed) for short notice bug out. Bug out bags should include the essentials to sustain you for 24hrs; Water, Food, Shelter. I'll sub-categorize the BOB(Bug Out Bag).

Bug Out

Water: Either bottled, or a purification device, capable of sustaining you and those in your party. Sport Berkey is a good unit, but there are many others that will suffice. For most purposes, you want your BOB to be as simple and lightweight as possible, so a hose and in line filter would be sufficient. Remember, if you have the option, you want to get water from a running source as it is prone to have less bacteria than standing water.
    Shelter: For 24hrs, a poncho or heavy duty garbage bag is sufficient for one person, and you can't exactly tote a tent around everywhere you go. At the very least, have a poncho and an emergency blanket. Have a tent in your house to grab in the event that you and yours need to bail out for an extended period of time. Realistically, you'll all be bailing out in a vehicle, which can serve as a short term shelter, but be prepared in case gas is in short supply, or you have a mechanical failure.
    Food: A protein bar will hold you over for 24 hours, but you should have at least something. You can easily go 24 hours without food, but if you've got a lot of humping to do, you wouldn't want to. At the very least, a couple peanut butter packets will work. MRE's tend to be very heavy for the amount of calories they provide, so look for alternatives in the event that you actually have to carry your food supply with you.

Other Items: We covered the 3 basics, but there are other items you should have if at all possible, especially if you will be gone for more then 24 hours. Protection is essential. You go years, maybe even a lifetime, without actually needing your weapon. If the shtf, you will likely have the need for one. A reliable handgun will suffice, and for the long term a long gun will have more utility. This is a shooting forum, so I won't begin to debate firearms, just use the search function. The other necessity is a first aid kit. I mentioned it earlier, but you should have something capable of treating basic wounds. A week in the woods can turn real bad if you cut yourself and it gets infected, so carry some alcohol wipes, antiseptic ointment, and bandages at a minimum. Costco has a real nice FAK for around $20, its worth having.

This is an ongoing post, and I'm going to add a lot to it, but wanted to get it submitted in case one of my kids got a hold of my laptop :squint:

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Reserving first post for additional material.

The Rule of Threes

Can't live more than 3 minutes without air
    Can't go more than 3 hours without shelter
    Can't go more than 3 days without water
    Can't go more than 3 weeks without food
    Can't go more than 3 months without hope

Useful Links
    Lights Out - Excellent read, survival fiction.
    Frugal Squirrels - Great homestead/self sufficiency forum.
    Arfcom Survival Discussion - General survival discussion, fairly large community.
    USDA Home Canning Guide
    LSU Ag Center Vegetable Planting Guide
    LSU Ag Center Fruit Orchard Guide
    Emergency Essentials - One stop shop for bulk grain purchases.
    Heirloom Seeds - Heirloom seed company, service is top notch and they have a very large selection.

If you have anything you think I should add, please either post it or PM it. Mods, if you think its worth it, sticky this thing so its easier to find.

Last edited:

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    drinking water/filters

you can use coffe filters in your BOB light weight and can get most settament out of the water,,also bugging in using bleech for safgety....

Bleach - Liquid household bleach that contains sodium hypochlorite (chlorine) will purify water. But it's important to know that not all bleaches are the same for purifying water. To be safe and most effective, use "regular" full-strength bleach containing 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite (read the label). Do not use scented bleach; it isn't 5.25 percent strength, plus it's more likely to have an off-taste. Use the following table as a guide for adding bleach. Stir to completely mix.

Amount of 5.25 % bleach to add to treat different amounts of clear and cloudy water.

Amount of bleach

Amount of water
    Clear water
    Cloudy water

2 liters =amount
    4 drops =clear
    1/8 teaspoon= clowdy

1 gallon
    1/8 teaspoon
    1/4 teaspoon

5 gallons
    1/2 teaspoon
    1 teaspoon

Let the water stand for 30 minutes. The water should have a slight chlorine odor. If it does not, add the same amount of bleach again and let the water stand for 15 more minutes.

A special note about chlorine: Due to recent publicity, some people may be concerned about potentially harmful effects of chlorine in drinking water. However, many water quality professionals agree that the benefits of chlorine in eliminating life-threatening drinking water problems far outweigh these shortcomings, in emergency as well as non-emergency situations.

Straight from DHEC

side not if you dont wasnt the chlorine taste pouring the clean water between 2 clean containers back and forth will get chemicals to release in the bubbles and out of the water,,,,most people with high ph or chlorine water with fish use this trick to clean the water for their fish tanks....letting them set over night will do the same thing

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    A couple things. Check contents of bleach, make sure it has no harmful additives. Bleach has a limited storage life, and I was told it degrades by 50% per year in storage. If you're trying to have water purification for long term, I recommend pool shock.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    if i remember right pool shock in in powder form,so would you wix the powder with water then add the drops to the drinking water to purifie it?? man shock is strong i remeber jumping in the pool to soon after it been shocked,,your skin feels like its crawling and your swim suit is fked,,,lucky i didnt go blind haha

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Shock it with the appropriate amount, and wait 24 hours. Bleach is drinkable in 30min I believe. I'm strictly speaking long term for pool shock, you should have 24hrs of drinkable water on hand anyway.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I believe you use 2 teaspoons of poolshock to one gallon of water to make normal bleach, then use that bleach to purify your water. Make sure if you buy pool shock you get one that is pure, and it is not one of the 4 in 1 types that have fungicide, algeacide, etc in them.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Well, we can save ourselves the trouble, and use a MIOX Water Purifier.

miox_large.jpg

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Watch out on the pool shock - they had a guy on arfcom saying that they do not list the bleach percentage in pool shock. You don't want to over/under do they amount needed.

If anyone is 100% sure on this, what is the shelf life of this stuff?? Anything to avoid exposure from? If I put a medicine bottle full of it in my BOB, what would the life of it be??

DAVE

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The Berkey page doesn't give an absolute pore size. That concerns me. The Miox and other UV filters are good for parasites, and I think it works for virii, but it doesn't filter at all. Doesn't do anything for chemicals either.
    I've used (as in drinking one step below swampwater with no problems) both the MSR miniworks and the General Ecology filters. With the MSR I add Potable Aqua Plus to treat virii. The General Ecology can be used without treating. Personally, I prefer the MSR because its field maintable. The GE can clog. They claim you can backflush, but we couldn't in the field. At the time it was the only filter on the trip. We used the Potable Aqua instead. It worked but I prefer my drinks without leaf bits.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Can you tell me more about this? The site description doesn't really explain how it works, how much water is treated at once, etc. I'm shopping for water purification as we speak.

It works by creating a powerful dose of mixed oxidants (MIOX), which is then added to untreated water, inactivating all viruses, bacteria, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium (which even iodine doesn't kill). And since the MIOX Purifier needs only common camera batteries and salt to operate, it's maintenance-free, delivering more water, more easily than any purifier ever before.

It purifies up to 4 liters per use, and takes 4 hours to treat everything its going to treat. HERE is a link to the manual.

Top Bottom