Primitive Camping Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Indian Creek in Woodworth, La has a very good primitive camping area. No tent pad or designated sites all woods. It is something like 250 acres of primitive camping area. It is my favorite place to go, you can get to an area on a bluff over the lake. Great time to go.

billandsonya

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It would be a long drive. Almost to Tallahassee. But I used to go to Torreya State Park in northwest FL when I was in high school. Me and a friend made the trip many times. It's a nice 3.5 mile hike to a great area on a bluff overlooking the river. Great primitive camping.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Did you ever find a good spot?

The GF and myself have been looking to go camping. Very primitive camping! We want like........."survivor man" style camping. 3-4hr drive max. Anyone know of a vast bit of land where we could go?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Black creek. My favorite: park at Moody's landing, wade the creek and get onto the trail. you can beach camp or camp in the deep woods. If you don't want to cross the creek, go to Janice landing and start from there.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have some fond memories of hiking/camping the winding staircase trails in Arkansas....in 19 degree weather...lol.

Nice. I'm looking to be back in Missouri and get into some winter camping. Some friends of mine do an annual "Wintergeddon" and get together to camp at the same place property every year - primitive camping in the snow. They did it up in the Smokey Mountains before, but decided the traveling was too much of a PITA and not as many people would participate. I want to get back into it again - pine bough beds, chopping wood, and sharing all the little bushcraft stuff we learned/know/want to try. If it snows enough, the next plan is to work on primitive shelters.

One dumbass came unprepared and refused all manner of help or assistance, and because of his pride, he didn't tell how bad off he was. He lost a chunk of his calf and a few toes to frostbite. We didn't know until /months/ later when his brother ran into a buddy of mine and they were chatting about it. He came to camp in the snow with regular uninsulated leather boots, Hanes socks, and liquor. Dumb bastard.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Nice. I'm looking to be back in Missouri and get into some winter camping. Some friends of mine do an annual "Wintergeddon" and get together to camp at the same place property every year - primitive camping in the snow. They did it up in the Smokey Mountains before, but decided the traveling was too much of a PITA and not as many people would participate. I want to get back into it again - pine bough beds, chopping wood, and sharing all the little bushcraft stuff we learned/know/want to try. If it snows enough, the next plan is to work on primitive shelters.

One dumbass came unprepared and refused all manner of help or assistance, and because of his pride, he didn't tell how bad off he was. He lost a chunk of his calf and a few toes to frostbite. We didn't know until /months/ later when his brother ran into a buddy of mine and they were chatting about it. He came to camp in the snow with regular uninsulated leather boots, Hanes socks, and liquor. Dumb bastard.

lol. rarely does pride go far enough beyond ignorance that it costs a limb.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Oh, and to top it off, he was hammock camping. It's not unheard of, as many of us do, and a couple even do it in the winter, but he didn't know how to do it right, either.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Clear Springs rec area in Meadville, MS.
    There is a large primitive area set off the main road before the developed campground.
    You can basically set up anywhere in the area, not assigned spots.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    +1 on
    Clear Springs rec area in Meadville, MS.
    You won't notice it during the day, but the oil pump gets very loud at night :dogkeke:

http://neworleansoutdoorcompanion.blogspot.com/

The worst thing about the primitive camping has nothing to do with the campground or even the national forest. It is the noise from the pumpjack (nodding donkey) about a mile southwest of the campground. Much of the national forest sits on an active oil field and there are many other pumpjacks in these woods. I didn't notice the low rumbling noise of the pump jack when I set up camp that afternoon but all that night and the next night I could hear it. It sounds like someone in a vehicle stuck in the mud or deep gravel spinning their wheels trying to rock themselves out of the hole. Every two seconds. But they never make it. Ever.

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Backbone Trail and the Caroline Dormon Trail located in the Kisatchie Wilderness Area of the national forest make for a great backpacking/primitive camping trip.
    After a long day hiking make camp at the Kisatchie Bayou and the white water will lull you to sleep in minutes.

2I9D_3_1_AHDTCover.jpg

870241.jpg

The views up high on the Backbone Trail are pretty impressive for Louisiana

CP9Z_3_1_AHDT7.jpg

images

This is all a little over 2 hours from B.R.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    We camped for years in the Clear Springs developed campground and a couple times in the primitive area.
    It was strange you couldn't or didn't hear it during daylight.
    After the first couple trips I looked forward to the droning pump jack tunes.
    I would pull up a chair or lie down by the fire and use the noise like a box fan at home.
    We also used Percy Quinn a bit and the Saturday night dirt track races created quite a bit of noise.

Top Bottom