Private sale from MS to LA... where is and what is the law?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I know I can't buy a handgun from an LA FFL unless transferring it to an MS FFL. which is stupid, but whatever. It has been common knowledge to me that, privately, a handgun can't cross state lines. Where is the law on that? Any link or site I can look for? I THINK I can transfer to an LA FFL, but not sure. Trying to get my ducks in a row for selling my 4" XD45.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    erm. so if "Bob" was traveling through another state, visited a friend at his residence, and said "joe ill give ya $xxx.xx for this nice pistol" Joe accepts. Bob gives joe cash, and walks out with the gun.

"Private Sale" is different than "inter-state purchase"

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    erm. so if "Bob" was traveling through another state, visited a friend at his residence, and said "joe ill give ya $xxx.xx for this nice pistol" Joe accepts. Bob gives joe cash, and walks out with the gun.

No difference. The scenario you described is a Federal felony. An individual may only legally purchase a firearm from another individual (without involving a dealer) if the two individuals are residents of the same state.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

Yea, your residence doesn't change just because you walked across a border.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Aah I see. But if we both live in same state, my scenario is perfectly legal.

Then a year later I take a job in a different state, and the guns come with me anyway... This system sure works. :rolleyes:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Aah I see. But if we both live in same state, my scenario is perfectly legal.

Then a year later I take a job in a different state, and the guns come with me anyway... This system sure works. :rolleyes:
    Yea.. it does work just fine, so far...

I have no idea what your complaint is here, or what you're rolling your eyes about, honestly.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I cant drive to biloxi and pay cash to a private owner for one of his belongings, but I can pay cash for the same item from a resident of my state then simply "move" there. How does this restrict, document, or otherwise affect the private sales of firearms in any way?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I cant drive to biloxi and pay cash to a private owner for one of his belongings, but I can pay cash for the same item from a resident of my state then simply "move" there. How does this restrict, document, or otherwise affect the private sales of firearms in any way?
    People don't move on a whim.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    whats it matter? I realize im not the norm, but i've been in 4 states in 10 years. All it takes to "move" is $50.00 at a local dmv. Hell I could legally "move" to another state, then "move back" to mine in 30 days... on paper, with having never packed a single box.

Just saying, its ridiculous and solves absolutely nothing. Just a pain in the ass for people with morals too strong to steal guns.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    try being a multi state resident. my uncle is fairly wealthy and owns houses and businesses in 3 states(colorado, ohio, nevada) he has a drivers license from ohio, a state id from nevada, and has to provide tax and billing records for colorado to buy handguns.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have properties in two states, and didn't even consider bringing that up as a point. This whole system is bunked. Here it comes again ...you ready for it? : :rolleyes:

Top Bottom