Probably the last good day of fishing in Pontchartrain.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My brother-in-law and I decided to go back out to the lake since the weather was perfect. Got out to the trestles around 5:45 a.m. and started fishing. We picked up some live shrimp on the way and boy am I glad we did. We had 20 on the stringer ( forgot to get ice ) by 8:30.

Here's the 30 we caught before we ran out of shrimp.

221879_10150176700675963_668105962_6916427_5672167_n.jpg

We went back out around 4 pm and caught 17 more. Too bad the lake is already getting screwed from all the river water.

Last edited:

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    :mamoru:
    My brother-in-law and I decided to go back out to the lake since the weather was perfect. Got out to the trestles around 5:45 a.m. and started fishing. We picked up some live shrimp on the way and boy am I glad we did. We had 20 on the stringer ( forgot to get ice ) by 8:30.

Here's the 30 we caught before we ran out of shrimp.

5697570262_00d289b36f.jpg

We went back out around 4 pm and caught 17 more. Too bad the lake is already getting screwed from all the river water.

you caught all that garage equipment this morning???

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ctrl + C didn't work obviously. I edited the OP.

Oh and forgot to mention... Next time you are snagged on the bottom... or think you are. Reel it in and see what you catch...

227658_10150188527656681_579696680_7365672_3696013_n.jpg

Maybe a teddy bear?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    We got the shrimp at "The Dock" in the morning but had to go to "Rigolets" off of highway 90 in the evening.

There were way more boats in the evening and people were saying it was already muddy by the lakefront. They were still biting, but nothing like they were in the morning.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We got the shrimp at "The Dock" in the morning but had to go to "Rigolets" off of highway 90 in the evening.

There were way more boats in the evening and people were saying it was already muddy by the lakefront. They were still biting, but nothing like they were in the morning.

It's going to look muddy because fresh water is lighter than salt water and will suspend on the surface until it floats down. Muddy mostly fresh water should get to the tresltes for at least another week. And even then, that portion of the Lake is saltier than the portion in the west lake.

Think about this for a second. If you've ever fished down by the mouth of the River, the surface water is turbid and muddy. So you say, this water is garbage and you move on, but the reality is under that water is a column of crystal clear salt water. When we used to dive there, you have to go under the muddy layers (5-15 feet) to get to crystal clear water to hunt. Same difference in the Lake, except not as salty so the mix will happen alot quicker.

Now the variable in all of this is the Industrial canal at Seabrook. In 1973 the whole lake became muddy because of the duration of the opening of the BC spillway. However, when the industrial canal was open, alot of that water exited out of the lake via the tidal flow to MRGO. Now the canal is closed. That will be interesting to see where the water goes and how fast.

Also, the water flow of Lake Pontchartrain moves in a counterclockwise motion naturally. So the southshore of the lake gets the brunt of the muddy fresh water. Go fishing until you actually stop catching fish altogether because those guys that were around in the 70's are going to be whacking them while you are sitting on your couch thinking the water is crappy.;)

Now when it's over, it's over. Duration of opening will dictate if any brackish water reamins in the lake over time. And besides, the aftmath algae bloom will be the real deal sealer!

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    It's a small world, I just saw that one of my firends was tagged in a pic on facebook. I thought the stringer looked familiar, i guess you are friends with Mike too.

Top Bottom