Problems with early production M&Ps?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a full size M&P 9 that I bought new in '07 or '08. I've seen a few mentions on here about changes S&W made along the way to make them more reliable. Can someone fill me in on these or give me a link? Is there anything I need to look at upgrading on mine from a reliability standpoint?

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I know the early models had problems with strikers failing or breaking. These were the black strikers. S&W started using the white strikers that fixed the issue. Not sure of when they made the swap.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    And the sear housing spring size. They had this ridiculously small sear spring and plunger, so there was a dead trigger problem.

I know there were a few other changes, Sin-Ster probably knows better than I.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have a full size M&P 9 that I bought new in '07 or '08. I've seen a few mentions on here about changes S&W made along the way to make them more reliable. Can someone fill me in on these or give me a link? Is there anything I need to look at upgrading on mine from a reliability standpoint?

Call Smith give them the serial # they will advise you of any recalls and or fixes and take care of them for you.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Unfortunately S&W will not replace anything for free unless it breaks, but will gladly sell you the parts.

You need:
    Newest revision striker assembly (silver in color, ~$18)
    Newest revision mag followers (grey with the number 9 stamped on top, ~$4)

And the BIGGIE, you need the larger sear plunger/spring. You can either order a new sear housing assembly from Brownell's (~$40 IIRC) or send yours to Apex and have them mill it to accept the larger plunger ($32).

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Unfortunately S&W will not replace anything for free unless it breaks, but will gladly sell you the parts.

You need:
    Newest revision striker assembly (silver in color, ~$18)
    Newest revision mag followers (grey with the number 9 stamped on top, ~$4)

And the BIGGIE, you need the larger sear plunger/spring. You can either order a new sear housing assembly from Brownell's (~$40 IIRC) or send yours to Apex and have them mill it to accept the larger plunger ($32).

I know my followers are grey but will have to check to see if they have anything stamped on them. How can I tell if my sear spring/plunger is the large or small one? Any pictures comparing the two?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You need to pull out your sear housing and remove the sear to look. If you bought in '07-08 I an almost guarantee you have the small plunger.

Small on the left, updated on the right.

apex2.jpg

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You need to pull out your sear housing and remove the sear to look. If you bought in '07-08 I an almost guarantee you have the small plunger.

Small on the left, updated on the right.

apex2.jpg

Thanks for the pic. The more stuff like this I come across, the more I'm tempted to trade it for a Glock. :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom