Professor Takes Heat for Calling Cops on Student Who Discussed Guns in Class

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    wow. I did one of my speeches on the 2nd Amendment in college, I got an A.

I did a paper for a Constitutional Law class on the 2nd Amendment and got a B with the notation "You have a great argument for 1812." When Heller came out, I made certain to track down my teacher (now retired) and rub it in his face. It seems that my interpretation was correct and he was WRONG. Good thing I don't hold grudges. :D

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Oh. and as a science project my daughter did a powerpoint presentation on ballistics complete with pictures of both round nosed and spitzer boat tail bullets, including high speed pictures of the shock waves. The presentation also included pictures of her sitting at the bench shooting an M1A. She received an A in the class.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Yeah I seen it. I was shocked and saddened to read a reply to this topic on another forum. The post basically said that unless a person on a campus of higher education is James or Jane Bond... he didn't want them afforded the opportunity to defend themselves, much less others. His reasoning? An "untrained" person might miss and endanger others in the area. I guess he doesn't get that if there is a murderer on a rampage EVERYONE in the area is very much endangered.:rolleyes:

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Oh. and as a science project my daughter did a powerpoint presentation on ballistics complete with pictures of both round nosed and spitzer boat tail bullets, including high speed pictures of the shock waves. The presentation also included pictures of her sitting at the bench shooting an M1A. She received an A in the class.

She's lucky she had a good teacher. That could have gone bad from some of the stories I have heard. Gotta love LA.

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    did she also report a mcnugget emergency:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0feH-2SwZaI[/ame]

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yeah I seen it. I was shocked and saddened to read a reply to this topic on another forum. The post basically said that unless a person on a campus of higher education is James or Jane Bond... he didn't want them afforded the opportunity to defend themselves, much less others. His reasoning? An "untrained" person might miss and endanger others in the area. I guess he doesn't get that if there is a murderer on a rampage EVERYONE in the area is very much endangered.:rolleyes:

I suppose he's also never seen the statistics on how poorly even the well-trained do during a "massive adreneline dump" situation. If he had, his logic would dictate that the police should be disarmed lest they accidentally shoot a non-bad guy. This probably also means he hasn't seen the reports that show an active shooter usually offs himself at the first sign of armed resistance.

One wonders if anything at all is actually being learned on campi of higher education.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    wow. I did one of my speeches on the 2nd Amendment in college, I got an A.

+1 I did 2 speech's this last semester on guns. The first one was an informative speech on the concealed carry, and the second one was strictly 2nd amendment. No cops called, but I did get a lot of rebuddle from the class, mostly negative.

L

Louisiana Shooter

I gave my second speech in college speech class about criminal empowerment zones(gun free zones) and the need to eliminate them. I used the catch phrase "criminals don't obey the law" and got the class repeating it back to me at various points. I got an A+ on the speech, the prof told me not to worry about any other assignments, and after the semester was over, he wanted me to go into business with him.

The fact remains that the 2A is for when the .gov forgets about 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I suppose he's also never seen the statistics on how poorly even the well-trained do during a "massive adreneline dump" situation. If he had, his logic would dictate that the police should be disarmed lest they accidentally shoot a non-bad guy. This probably also means he hasn't seen the reports that show an active shooter usually offs himself at the first sign of armed resistance.

One wonders if anything at all is actually being learned on campi of higher education.
    If it were a student I would still be appalled but at least one could chalk it up to the ignorance of youth. However, after I made essentially the same point that you have made (without mentioning the statistics) he informed me that he carries "just about 24/7" and that he spends "about 60 bucks a week practicing at the range". Also, that he is "54 years old" and knows himself well enough to feel that he'll remain calm enough to use his gun well should he need to.:rolleyes:

To me, this is the guy who is dangerous. IMO he is overconfident in his ability and that could lead to him involving himself in a firefight that a more realistic shooter would likely find a way to avoid.

BayouBocephus

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Ponchatoula, LA
    In 2007, Shibley noted, a student at Hamline University in Minnesota was suspended after writing a letter to an administrator arguing that carrying concealed weapons on campus may help prevent tragedies like the one at Virginia Tech. The student was allowed to return only after undergoing a psychological evaluation, he said.

I cannot believe that they would force a student to take a Psych evaluation because he wrote a letter...that is complete bulls***!!

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Thank God we live in LA. Actually a professor last semester, the former head of my department, asked me for gun advise. He wants a Beretta 92 because that is what he had when he was in the air force. He asked me about guns a weekend after a BZ trip and I had my bayou shooter shirt on. He still asks me questions when I see him in the hall. He hasn't made a purchase yet but he is close.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom