Programmer in pickup?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Anyone run a programmer in their vehicle? Any actual experience?

I have a 2010 f150 with the 5.4 Triton and 3.55 gears. Wanting to put a leveling kit and bigger tires (have 33"s now), but don 't want less mpg than I get now since I travel for work.

Just wondering if they actually work, or any better options.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    You are creating additional wind drag and increasing rotating mass, you WILL lose mpg. Now, in all highway driving, you could possibly get same mileage due to larger tires, but it is unlikely and you will be bogging the truck down without a gear change. You are already borderline with 33s, any bigger and I wouldnt expect your trans to last long because it will be hunting for gears all the time. A programmer will help with your shift points and increase trans line pressure, but truck will still be sluggish.
    What you need: gear change and professional tune.. neither is cheap though.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Getting it professionally tuned is the way to go. Problem is that your mileage goes down even more because you can't keep you foot off the go pedal.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Well, Now that you mention it...Yes
    First off, Bring those gas hog tire's to me,
    Second, You need factory, stock S-10 rim's and tires mounted on that Ford in order to get 35 mpg and with a local super tune you may get 38 mpg.
    I hope this help's, My Ford run's on gas, However some people Ford's run on air...But then again I suck, Mines a 4x4.

Anyone run a programmer in their vehicle? Any actual experience?

I have a 2010 f150 with the 5.4 Triton and 3.55 gears. Wanting to put a leveling kit and bigger tires (have 33"s now), but don 't want less mpg than I get now since I travel for work.

Just wondering if they actually work, or any better options.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I use an SCT tuner that I picked up from 5 Star Tuning for my 2011 F150 Ecoboost. I ended up getting a kit (exhaust, intake, tuner) with their custom tunes for my truck. I've been extremely pleased with the results. With the 5 star package, I was able to choose 6 different tunes. I ended up going fuel economy, performance, and towing tunes for both 87 and 93 octane. I've been running the 93 performance for the most part because it's nicer to drive. The nice thing is that I'm getting roughly the same gas mileage as the stock program with significantly more horsepower and responsiveness. I assume the fuel economy tune would do better than stock but I don't want to lose the power.

Looks like they do your truck: http://www.5startuning.com/got-a-5-4l-v8/. If you buy the SCT tuner from them, they give you their custom tunes for free.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I use an SCT tuner that I picked up from 5 Star Tuning for my 2011 F150 Ecoboost. I ended up getting a kit (exhaust, intake, tuner) with their custom tunes for my truck. I've been extremely pleased with the results. With the 5 star package, I was able to choose 6 different tunes. I ended up going fuel economy, performance, and towing tunes for both 87 and 93 octane. I've been running the 93 performance for the most part because it's nicer to drive. The nice thing is that I'm getting roughly the same gas mileage as the stock program with significantly more horsepower and responsiveness. I assume the fuel economy tune would do better than stock but I don't want to lose the power.

Looks like they do your truck: http://www.5startuning.com/got-a-5-4l-v8/. If you buy the SCT tuner from them, they give you their custom tunes for free.

Is this just by buying their programmer and downloading the tunes? Or would it need to be going to the shop for anything? Not exactly sure what the actual programmer is, just what i've read

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you put those bigger tires and leveling kit, please have your headlights adjusted. I'm tired of being blinded by trucks that have been jacked up so that their headlights shine directly into my eyes like they are on brights all the time.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Is this just by buying their programmer and downloading the tunes? Or would it need to be going to the shop for anything? Not exactly sure what the actual programmer is, just what i've read

No need to take it into the shop. You download their tunes and load them to the SCT tuner. You then plug the tuner into the OBD2 port on your truck. The tuner backs up the stock computer software then overwrites the program with the one that you choose. The whole process takes about 10 minutes. I'm sure that a tuning shop could squeeze more performance but I am pleased with what I have.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    That sounds like what I'm looking for. Can keep on fuel economy until ready to tow something. Will have to call next week check with my extended warranty first.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    That sounds like what I'm looking for. Can keep on fuel economy until ready to tow something. Will have to call next week check with my extended warranty first.

dealerships and extended warranty companies will always tell you that it will void your warranty, but they just don't want to tell you the truth. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that they must prove that your alteration directly caused the damage you are filing a claim for in order to be refused.

btw- good programmers come with 2-way. you can defer it back to stock programming at will, ie, before it ever goes back for service. In fact, you don't even have to use the dealer for your service... which they like to fib about as well.

Last edited:

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I don't have to have bigger tires, but I do want more aggressive tires. More power wouldn't hurt.

What kind of tires you have on it now?

I have 2011 w/5.0
    Went from the goodyear factory tires to a slightly taller(34") and much heavier (80lbs/40lbs) Toyo AT/II.
    Locally I went from 18 mpg to 17.5 mpg. No leveling kit or anything else.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Bullydog PMT on my 2004.5 Dodge with the Cummins 600. It definitely adds power when I need it, but most of the time it doesn't really help much. If I get on the highway cruising and put it on Extreme, I can get 1-1.5 better MPG. Otherwise, it really hasn't done a whole lot for me. Fortunately, I got it pretty cheap on Ebay. Definitely not worth full price.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    2012 f150 4x4, 2" level 33x12.50 mud tires. Went from 18 mpg to 14 mpg. It is what it is. No tuner will make up for that, that I know of.

If you did not re-calibrate your tire size in the computer then your odometer is off and your mpg is calculating incorrectly. I have the Superchips Max Microtuner for my '04 F150 (new body style) 5.4. I have 325/60r18 tires on it which are about 33.5 tall and 13.50 inches wide, Mickey Thompson ATZs, with a leveling kit. I run the Tow Tune in it and I average 15mpg combined. On the hwy rolling at 70 I'll average around 17mpg. But you have to correct your tire size in order to get accurate measurements. You can do this with the tuner that I have. I did it by using my GPS to check my speed and also clocking the mile markers on the interstate to verify. The true size of the tire and what the computer needs to be told it is are not always the same.
    Thanks

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Also, running the Tow tune is awesome. Serious power difference from stock!
    I've played around with it and tried the stock tune again.. and man, what a difference! I can never go back.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    SCT with a custom tune. Out the box they are good, but talk to some one that can do a custom tune. As far as the speedymeter being off its as easy as telling the sct what your tire size is. To get max power you also need to do a gear swap. Get the gears as close to the factory ratio as you can with the bigger tires. Do not expect to buy a programmer straight out the box and get max power and performance. And make sure your programmer is not just leaning out the mixture. That will cause excessive heat. Leaner is most of the time faster at the expense of excessive heat. Transmission shift points and lock up also plays a big factor in making power or getting better economy. And for you sceptics Ill put my 4.o explorer up against any of your stock or performance tuned v8's. There is a certain St Tamany cop driving a silver mustang that I really want to run. He has a true 5.0 in a newer body. Yes Johathan, Im coming for ya. Transfer case will be finished and installed tomorrow !!!!!!

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I am a SCT custom tuner. With your truck, I can perfect the engine and transmission controls.
    Mailorder is ONLY a best guess. To get your monies worth, someone has to be hands on.

Tranny controls are very tricky. ITs the one area that I devote most of my time to.
    For a Real custom tune, the charge is $550 and that includes the X-Cal 3 tuner.
    I will spend 2-3 hours testing before, during, and after the final tune is installed.

What you read in the forums is only a 1/3 of what people understand about custom tunes.
    The ONLY custom tune is the one that is performed on your truck. Shared tunes [because someone has your similar combination] is a "best guess".

Ive been with SCT for 8 years [ at least, quit counting] I was one of the first dealers around. NO 2 cars/trucks have ever left my shop with the same tune.
    I start fresh from scratch with EVERY vehicle.

Mail order tunes rely on the adaptive strategy to change the math getting it "close enough"
    There is a noticeable difference between the "close enough" and the "spot on"

the biggest issue when you purchase a mail order tune is that you Assume there are no current problems with your vehicle.
    Just because you do not have a check engine light on, does NOT mean that you do not have a problem.

Before I tune a vehicle, the Adaptive controls must not be correcting for a problem with the engine or tranny.
    Many times its maintenance related, but imagine what happens when you lay a performance tune over an existing problem.
    The Tune [ or tuner ] gets blamed for breaking your truck or transmission.

Even if you Dont use me for tuning services. PLease be careful sticking mail order tunes into anything.
    Find someone who knows what he is looking at. Someone who knows how to make sure your vehicle is in good working order.
    Finally, even after the tune is installed, you MUST drive it and monitor the adaptive controls.
    Getting back to the - Dont assume your vehicle will run like JoeBobs because yall have the same tires and the same tune.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I am a SCT custom tuner. With your truck, I can perfect the engine and transmission controls.
    Mailorder is ONLY a best guess. To get your monies worth, someone has to be hands on.

Tranny controls are very tricky. ITs the one area that I devote most of my time to.
    For a Real custom tune, the charge is $550 and that includes the X-Cal 3 tuner.
    I will spend 2-3 hours testing before, during, and after the final tune is installed.

What you read in the forums is only a 1/3 of what people understand about custom tunes.
    The ONLY custom tune is the one that is performed on your truck. Shared tunes [because someone has your similar combination] is a "best guess".

Ive been with SCT for 8 years [ at least, quit counting] I was one of the first dealers around. NO 2 cars/trucks have ever left my shop with the same tune.
    I start fresh from scratch with EVERY vehicle.

Mail order tunes rely on the adaptive strategy to change the math getting it "close enough"
    There is a noticeable difference between the "close enough" and the "spot on"

the biggest issue when you purchase a mail order tune is that you Assume there are no current problems with your vehicle.
    Just because you do not have a check engine light on, does NOT mean that you do not have a problem.

Before I tune a vehicle, the Adaptive controls must not be correcting for a problem with the engine or tranny.
    Many times its maintenance related, but imagine what happens when you lay a performance tune over an existing problem.
    The Tune [ or tuner ] gets blamed for breaking your truck or transmission.

Even if you Dont use me for tuning services. PLease be careful sticking mail order tunes into anything.
    Find someone who knows what he is looking at. Someone who knows how to make sure your vehicle is in good working order.
    Finally, even after the tune is installed, you MUST drive it and monitor the adaptive controls.
    Getting back to the - Dont assume your vehicle will run like JoeBobs because yall have the same tires and the same tune.

Vince, Although I dont know, you just earned all the respect I can give. Ive been dealing with Tommy in Tennessee for my tunes. Its a pain in the ass the drive up there for a new tune and Dyno time. You will be doing my next tune as soon as the turbos are mounted on the 4.0..Guys listen to him. If he holds tru to what he just said you will not find a better tuner!!!

Top Bottom