Purchased a cosmetically flawed and broken Handgun from FFL, now what

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAEDISON

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Have not directly asked for a refund but when I mentioned the problems FFL Dealer says Send it off to get fixed. Also the firearm was a dealer to dealer swap. I do not want to reveal too much because this ffl dealer is a good nice old fella and It could have just been a oversight on his part. The firearm has alot of cosmetic flaws unseen because of grease and also the dang flip up safety does not work correctly or engage correctly its a 1911.

I am not Sherlock Holmes, I did not have my magnifying glass for detailed inspection which was probably a mistake. Still all in all

I don't want to wait 6 months to have it fixed buy colt. Its a freaking 1k dollar pistol.

I could be sleazy and post stuff on the web and do a CC Dispute. But It might have been a mistake the ffl might have gotten screwed on his swap.

What would be a fair solution to a problem like this. What would you ask the ffl dealer to do

Keep it mine this FFL Dealer I have been dealing with for a while and never had any trouble although this is my first gun purchase from him. I normally just buy online and then transfer threw them.

So Its Almost 3AM I am venting my anger.

What would you ask the FFL Dealer to do? Heck the ffl probably is reading this post

I deal with disputes on a daily basis so the shoe is on the other foot now. I am the one that has to usually deal with problems while this time someone else is the seller. So I know how I would like to be handled and how I handle Not as described Items with buyers. But this is a whole different subject since the gun is now legally transferred.

Thanks,
    Edison

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    The gun is technically yours. Did you notice the flaws prior to leaving the FFL's place after filling out the paperwork? Who'd the Colt come from? I'd start there. Also, your best bet is just to send the pistol back to Colt, it'll be quicker than you think

blackline29

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 16, 2014
    alexandria , LA
    If you noticed the flaws when you picked it up, the ffl should have told you not to accept it and send it back. He might not have thought it was a big deal, but to you it is. Did you buy it from an individual or from a dealer? Not sure if the warranty would work if you purchased from a individual. Contact colt either way. But I'd suggest posting pics of the pistol. Maybe the cosmetic issues and safety issue would be any easy fix for someone here.

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Talk to the seller and ask for his help in resolving the issues. If you deal with him daily just tell him you aren't real happy. What are the cosmetic issues?
    If for some reason this is a back-room-brother-in-law deal on a factory second type gun you may be left holding the bag. I can not imagine any manufacturer sending out a firearm of any price with a defective safety; any lawyer would be able to win a suit with a documented factory defect unsafe firearm.

Again, talk to the seller. I believe that even if sent to the factory for repair that this gun would (as a new condition piece) get immediate attention and expedited service.
    What model and age? New production or older new-in-box gun? A little more info please.

TAEDISON

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Its a colt delta elite 10 mm with a date of june. I did not realize it until I purchased it that It was a dealer to dealer swap to get the pistol, IF I knew that I would have never bought it to begin with. I noticed some small scratches on the stainless but the gut was greased up and on the delta elite its blasted on the top and bottom so when its oily you do not notice anything. Also, I did not notice the flip up safety not engaging. I received a response from the dealer basically telling me that colt is the only one that is going to be coming out of pocket. In my question I told you all, I deal with eBay buyer complaints all day long, I know guns are different as you have to register them, But All I wanted was a nice response or help. Is it too much to ask the dealer to call colt?

The pistol was new since it went threw dealer hands, Which I think Is B.S. Because of more hands touching it and playing with things.

I just bought it yesterday.

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Most, if not all (non big box) FFL dealers I know of will not warranty a gun; however, some will facilitate the warranty return to the manufacturer for you if you made the purchase from them. As far as cosmetics, that's on you... Once you leave the store with it, it's yours. Your other option is to get it to a smith and see if they can fix it but you'll be out of pocket on it. The smith could probably polish out the scratches for you too. You'll pay but turn around will probably much faster. All depends on what it's worth time v money.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I'll only touch a couple points here.
    Once you fill out the 4473 and receive it from the FFL on your end it's basically yours.
    Some offer a 3 day non firing inspection period sounds like the seller has no such clause.
    If there is a factory defect (safety) Colt should/will make it right.
    As many times at this pistol changed hands it is used. The scratches are on you at this point, you could have a local smith try to polish them out or request Colt do it when they address the safety.

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Judging by you calling the safety a flip up trigger, you must not be familiar with a 1911. So just to be sure before you call Colt. Is the hammer cocked when trying to engage the safety? If not then the safety will not engage. As for the scratches holster it a few times and don't worry about them.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Stainless pistols…I have a stainless Delta…inevitably show scratches. If they bother you will learn how to polish them out (I use fine and ultra-fine Scotch-brite, grey and white, from a paint supply store): stainless is easier to "fix" than a blued pistol. As Crimson advised, make sure the hammer is cocked then try the safety…it may be VERY stiff if it's new.

TAEDISON

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    I bet I have more then you crimson.

I think everyone is missing the point. where not talking about finishes and scratches on used guns or how to buff it out. It was a 1k dollar firearm that has a issue with the safety. I will get in touch with colt tomorrow. Its a new firearm.

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I bet I have more then you crimson.

I think everyone is missing the point. where not talking about finishes and scratches on used guns or how to buff it out. It was a 1k dollar firearm that has a issue with the safety. I will get in touch with colt tomorrow. Its a new firearm.

I really don't care how many you have. Calling a safety a flip up trigger leads me to believe you're not familiar with 1911's or firearms in general. If you were not familiar with 1911's, that could have been your problem. Now that you've proven you know 1911's, because you bet you have more than me. You should probably send it back to Colt.

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington

We actually are, because you brought it up...

"Purchased a cosmetically flawed and broken Handgun from FFL, now what"

"The firearm has alot of cosmetic flaws unseen because of grease and also the dang flip up safety does not work correctly or engage correctly its a 1911."

So we tried to help you out. If it is new or used is actually irrelevant when speaking about flaws in a SS finish. They buff out the same whether the gun is new or not.

Looks like you figured out how you are going to address the safety issue.

I can appreciate the frustration you are experiencing but getting sideways with us ain't gonna help.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Once the form is filled out and you take possession, it's yours. If it was new and covered in grease and you couldn't see it like you said, then there is no reason to think he could either. Charging back your credit card is a very bad idea. If all the paperwork was done, you will lose a chargeback anyway.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I'll only touch a couple points here.
    Once you fill out the 4473 and receive it from the FFL on your end it's basically yours.
    Some offer a 3 day non firing inspection period sounds like the seller has no such clause.
    If there is a factory defect (safety) Colt should/will make it right.
    As many times at this pistol changed hands it is used. The scratches are on you at this point, you could have a local smith try to polish them out or request Colt do it when they address the safety.

This 100%
    Colt has quick turn around on service and has a numbered box with yiour gun in it when there, Kinda like a safety deposit box would be. So no matter if still in one piece or 100 while worked on everything is yours in it.
    When they worked on my gun it was a 1978 1911 Ace gun and they treated me like it was bought yesterday.
    So do not worry about hoe many hands have looked fiddled wit it. If it is a real safety issue they will take care of it and maybe the cosmetic as well.
    My experience sending in 2 guns {One Katrina Gun on my dime, and one "New One that had a problem} they are friendly do great work.
    Even on the Katrina gun they sent a tag I printed out stuck in box and gave to Fed Ex. Turn around was fast and they even did some extra work and parts free.
    I also had Ruger do work as well as S&W all 3 were fast and top notch
    Not being fully here. But i have had 1911's for years and years.
    The safety does not work all the time gun has to need to be on safe if ya know what I mean. Calm down and it will be taken care of they will not be 6 months
    Also the gun was yours when you filled the paper work out. Sorry I am sure this was not what you wanted to hear.
    Send it to Colt with a call tag and move on

Last edited:
    Top Bottom