Pure awesome - Help Overturn 18 USC 922(o) and NFA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    We should be allowed to purchase FA firearms without the extremely inflated prices due to the lack of available firearms. If the federal government were to mandate electric cars for everyone unless you have a car made before 2015, it would make pre-2015 petroleum powered vehicles price skyrocket and if you want to buy a pre-2015 petro vehicle you have to register and pay a $2k tax to the feds. That is essentially what happened with FA firearms. Removing the pre-1986 stipulation would be a good place to start, next I would like to see the states in control of laws for FA firearm ownership.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    We should be allowed to purchase FA firearms without the extremely inflated prices due to the lack of available firearms. If the federal government were to mandate electric cars for everyone unless you have a car made before 2015, it would make pre-2015 petroleum powered vehicles price skyrocket and if you want to buy a pre-2015 petro vehicle you have to register and pay a $2k tax to the feds. That is essentially what happened with FA firearms. Removing the pre-1986 stipulation would be a good place to start, next I would like to see the states in control of laws for FA firearm ownership.

This guy gets it. I don't really hear anyone complain about the cost of the tax stamp, and I think most would honestly be okay with the wait. It's the pre-1986 thing that sucks so hard. Open up the registers and let the public buy any machine gun as long as we Form 4 them. Who gives a crap what year it was manufactured? It's just a long-con to banning all MG's.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

This guy gets it. I don't really hear anyone complain about the cost of the tax stamp, and I think most would honestly be okay with the wait. It's the pre-1986 thing that sucks so hard. Open up the registers and let the public buy any machine gun as long as we Form 4 them. Who gives a crap what year it was manufactured? It's just a long-con to banning all MG's.

At a minimum this would go a long way to restoring our rights. Historically the $200 stamp was a really big deal (it basically doubled the cost of your tommy gun, plus the hassle of registration). $200 is no big deal today but you still have the hassle (which many of us are willing to put up with).

In about 22 years everything pre-1986 will be C&R and eventually will be considered antique and not even relevant to self-defense. It would be easier for the anti-2nd amendment guys on here to argue that the 2nd amendment only applied to arms when the bill of rights was written, and that we only have a right to flintlock muskets.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    The pre1986 part is just a way for gun control activists to cause the supply to dry up or become so expensive that most citizens cannot afford them. If they would repeal that clause, the government would probably raise the tax stamp cost to $2500...

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Ok, so let me get this straight..... Dope, guns, and booze for all but we need speed limits, but we need to raise them. I wanna party with you! Can we raise the speed limits in your neighborhood first? I don't want to be late to the party.

I will take the booze and guns. As for driving, even my father calls me "grampa." I will get to the party a little late though. In any case, I am responsible for my actions.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    The pre1986 part is just a way for gun control activists to cause the supply to dry up or become so expensive that most citizens cannot afford them. If they would repeal that clause, the government would probably raise the tax stamp cost to $2500...

I can see that as being an unintended outcome of this entire operation. A raised tax stamp fee (especially over $1K) across the board would cut down on the number of transfers taking place.

JR1572

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I can see that as being an unintended outcome of this entire operation. A raised tax stamp fee (especially over $1K) across the board would cut down on the number of transfers taking place.

JR1572

Yeah that would definitely be the agenda of several politicians, if it already isn't. Even though the anti-gun pressure is strong, NFA is pretty mainstream now and I think an amendment etc. to bump the fees would not go unnoticed by the pro-gun congressmen.

Honestly though I think it would still be worthwhile if it meant we could buy good stuff again.

- - - Updated - - -

A little bit of both.

JR1572

:D

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    If they raised the tax to $3700ish, to account for inflation, the argument that it's a poll tax, and therefor violate the 14th Amendment, would carry much more weight.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    The reason they have not raised the tax is only because it's actually written into the legislation. They would have to change the NFA in order to change the tax amount. I am sure they have tried to find a way around it.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Ok.

I'm glad you used the cell phone example. Right now the government gives out free cell phones to people who cannot afford to purchase them. How about starting a program to give out free machine guns to everyone?

JR1572

Then your investment would be worth less which would **** you off, but once you accept the losses then you will buy MG's at MSRP just like everyone else (who can legally purchase any firearm).

What about music? What if legislation dictates that you can only own vinyl records that were manufactured before 1968, all technology post vinyl is banned in response to piracy. Has the government been giving any records lately?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Then your investment would be worth less which would **** you off, but once you accept the losses then you will buy MG's at MSRP just like everyone else (who can legally purchase any firearm).

What about music? What if legislation dictates that you can only own vinyl records that were manufactured before 1968, all technology post vinyl is banned in response to piracy. Has the government been giving any records lately?

I wouldn't buy anymore even if y'all's dream came true. I already have the ones that I want.

JR1572

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I wouldn't buy anymore even if y'all's dream came true. I already have the ones that I want.

JR1572
    Then whats the problem? Oh, i get it now. As mentioned before, you would take a blow to the ego since everyone else would have what you have, the money issue is just another piece of the puzzle
    Would i like to have these things, sure. Would i be spiteful if i did own them and this was successful, hell no.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Because I don't want my or other people's investments to lose value.

Contrary to popular belief, it's not all about me.

All you Internet activists say otherwise, but this move doesn't effect any of you like it would effect me.

JR1572

WOW. Your a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    1341273740491_2575336.png

Forum statistics

Threads