Quad rail question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    I have a Colt carbine with the magpul for-end and want to put a quad rail on it. Can I put a mid length quad rail on it or do I have to go back with the short one? Looking into the Daniel defense in dark earth color.
    5ugyba5a.jpg

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    You can go with a longer quad rail, but if you wanted to keep your front sight and not swap it out with a low profile gas block and purchase a rail mounted front sight you would have to go with something like this:

944140.jpg

nphzqa.jpg

Now, if you are ok with getting rid of your front sight and going with a low profile gas block then the sky is the limit for rail length.

2013-02-11_20-29-20_375_zpsa1d733fb.jpg

Last edited:

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Well, I've been browsing between Daniel Defense, Troy Industires, Yankee Hill, & 556 tactical quad rails. I then ran across this UTG PRO that is made in the USA and is at a bargain price. Anyone with any experience on this quad rail?

http://youtu.be/HGkMSxO-R8s

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yes. I have seen several of them detach from the weapons they were mounted on under recoil. I have also seen them use rail so badly out of spec that accessories wouldn't mount. Why a quad rail instead of a tube.

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Yes. I have seen several of them detach from the weapons they were mounted on under recoil. I have also seen them use rail so badly out of spec that accessories wouldn't mount. Why a quad rail instead of a tube.

I appreciate your input and advise. Anyone else with experience with this quad rail?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I appreciate your input and advise. Anyone else with experience with this quad rail?

I'm not a big fan of UTG for anything other than a range gun. Their quality, from what I have seen are mid/low par. I swapped over to Troy tubes and have never looked back. Just put the rail sections where you need them.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Just buy something of quality. You wont regret it. Vanilla Gorilla knows what he is talking about. The best gas block is using the one that your gun came attached with. Grind it and file it down. Thats what most people do.

- - - Updated - - -

I just installed the 13in troy alpha and couldn't be happier. Nice and sturdy! Wish I would have got it sooner

Its a damn good rail. Had one on mine

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone help/recommend one to me:

I have a Bravo Company 20" A4 Upper, I'd like to keep the front sight but I don't like a lot of exposed barrel. Is there a free float fore-end similar in length to the KAC M5 RAS or am I better off not worrying about free floating the barrel and using the M5 RAS? Thanks!

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Well, I'm risking it and bought the UTG Pro free float quad rail. I know a lot of y'all were telling me not to waste my money on it, but my "boss" is keeping me on a budget. I wish I could have gone with they troy industries or Daniel defense. I will let y'all know how they turn out. Thank you all for your input and advise. really appreciate it

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone help/recommend one to me:

I have a Bravo Company 20" A4 Upper, I'd like to keep the front sight but I don't like a lot of exposed barrel. Is there a free float fore-end similar in length to the KAC M5 RAS or am I better off not worrying about free floating the barrel and using the M5 RAS? Thanks!

Several companies make tubes that are longer than the M5.

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Just wanted to give y'all an update. I did buy the UTG Pro rifle length quad rail (made in the USA) for $100. It installed with no problem and I used my existing gas block after modification and high temp painting. Next test is to see how it holds up after shooting it.. Will let y'all know.

Before:
    uvyma6et.jpg

After:
    tu8y2e3a.jpg

emejujyr.jpg

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Looks nice. You'd benefit from mounting that flashlight as close to the muzzle as possible now that you have some real estate to work with. It looks like the rail will block half of the beam in its current position.

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Looks nice. You'd benefit from mounting that flashlight as close to the muzzle as possible now that you have some real estate to work with. It looks like the rail will block half of the beam in its current position.

yea.. I was planning on doing that, but I like to hold the grip closer that further away. i'm a smaller guy and my arms aren't very long.

Drop1

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I'd recommend the centurion c4 cutout rail if you dont want to shave the fsb or you can shave the fsb and use the length of your choice. The c4 rail clamps onto the factory barrel nut. You will have to cut off the delta ring but its really easy and you wont have to take of the fsb. The only real down side is cost but it is an excellent rail even at its price point.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom