Question about handgun transfer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrfount

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Livingston, La
    Could someone help clarify the law on handgun transfers for me? I'm under the impression that the SN on a firearm is only tied to your name for a finite time period during your background check, after that the SN is in no way registered to an owner. I am discussing purchasing a pistol from someone and he wants to make sure that once it leaves his possesion it will no longer be tied to him for legal purposes. His proposal was to handle a transfer through an FFL holder; but, I don't think that would be necessary. Many of you know the actual laws much better than I do so any factual input is appreciated.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    theoretically he is not tied to it but the sn can be traded to the last place it was transferred so if he received it by filling a 4473 it can be tracked to him.

if he is that paranoid do a bill of sale

40caloldtimer

I can hit the orange.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    Burnside, LA
    Bill of sale is all you need I have a pre-made one pm me for it! (only in the state of Louisiana am I speaking for, any other state check local laws!)

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    If you sell it to somebody out of state, the FFL is required right? For example, my brother lives in Ruston and goes to Tech, but is actually an Arkansas resident. I'd need a FFL to sell him a gun right?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    If you sell it to somebody out of state, the FFL is required right? For example, my brother lives in Ruston and goes to Tech, but is actually an Arkansas resident. I'd need a FFL to sell him a gun right?

If he has residence here I think he can buy it. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know for sure. It might be safer for you to mail it to a dealer just north of the border and have him receive it there.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    That BoS link should be its' own sticky. I have typed up my own before, but the best one I saw was the ones you get with a C&R License. Maybe a CR holder can get a good scan and have it hosted here?

Top Bottom