Question about joining PD/SO reserves

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I'll soon be finding myself with some spare time on my hands on the weekends and evenings. I'm thinking it would go to good use joining a police department reserve organization to help out in the community, and gain some good experience.

I have a few questions about it for folks in the know. What's the best way to go about it? Which departments in the NOLA area might be looking for reservists, and of those departments, who would be the best to try out? What are the requirements for the departments around town(JPSO, OPCSO, NOPD, Harahan, Gretna, etc.)? Lastly, after getting on, what should I expect - i.e. what's the job like?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'll soon be finding myself with some spare time on my hands on the weekends and evenings. I'm thinking it would go to good use joining a police department reserve organization to help out in the community, and gain some good experience.

I have a few questions about it for folks in the know. What's the best way to go about it? Which departments in the NOLA area might be looking for reservists, and of those departments, who would be the best to try out? What are the requirements for the departments around town(JPSO, OPCSO, NOPD, Harahan, Gretna, etc.)? Lastly, after getting on, what should I expect - i.e. what's the job like?

Call your local LEA's.

Last edited:

local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana

JPSO has the most active reserve division in the area. They are currently actively seeking reserves as well. They used to require 24 hours per month or 40 per month (if you wanted a take home car). Those minimums may have changed. The part-time reserve academy is a commitment. You will be going several nights per week and on Saturday. Gretna PD also has an excellent reserve division. Good luck.

antknee985

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Thibodaux
    I am a reserve deputy in Lafourche Parish. It's a great way to get your feet wet in law enforcement. I recommend attending p.o.s.t. academy, if your schedule permits

buggsb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    If you are serious, be prepared to do quite a bit more than spending a couple free hours at it. Most academys require a lot more time than what it appears at the surface. I can be very rewarding, but it's not a pursuit that can be done without a significant commitment.

antknee985

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Thibodaux
    If you are serious, be prepared to do quite a bit more than spending a couple free hours at it. Most academys require a lot more time than what it appears at the surface. I can be very rewarding, but it's not a pursuit that can be done without a significant commitment.

I agree. When I went through the academy, it was a grind. I worked 40 hours at my regular job, and attended class at nights. I was exhausted, but it was completely worth it.

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA

Oh, most definitely. I'm changing positions at work and going from ~75 hours a week at god knows what day/time to a Monday-Friday 9-5. So I'll have more than a few spare hours of tie on my hands.

antknee, Yeah, I would really like to go to POST school.

I'll send Brannon an email soon if he doesn't pop in here.

Flamatrix, my understanding is that it's a volunteer gig for the most part. My barber used to be reserves for OPCSO and said he would work a detail from time to time and get paid a bit.

Last edited:

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    JPSO has the most active reserve division in the area. They are currently actively seeking reserves as well. They used to require 24 hours per month or 40 per month (if you wanted a take home car). Those minimums may have changed. The part-time reserve academy is a commitment. You will be going several nights per week and on Saturday. Gretna PD also has an excellent reserve division. Good luck.

Oh great. I wasn't sure how big JP's reserve program was since I hadn't heard much about it. I think they'd be a good choice since I live there. I looked on their website and the only positions that they listed as being available were dispatch and corrections. Does that include reserve needs or are those postings just what they need for full time personnel?

local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Oh, most definitely. I'm changing positions at work and going from ~75 hours a week at god knows what day/time to a Monday-Friday 9-5. So I'll have more than a few spare hours of tie on my hands.

antknee, Yeah, I would really like to go to POST school.

I'll send Brannon an email soon if he doesn't pop in here.

Flamatrix, my understanding is that it's a volunteer gig for the most part. My barber used to be reserves for OPCSO and said he would work a detail from time to time and get paid a bit.

OPCSO and "Law Enforcement" shouldnt be in the same sentence. Enough on that topic. I know for sure JPSO is actively seeking reserve patrol deputies.

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    OPCSO and "Law Enforcement" shouldnt be in the same sentence. Enough on that topic. I know for sure JPSO is actively seeking reserve patrol deputies.

Yeah, that's why I came here instead of just asking my barber how to go about getting on with OPCSO. I figured it would pretty much just be corrections and prisoner transport. I could be wrong though.

Abh3vol.firemen

unskilled labor expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    houma,la
    i looked in to lafourche.i was told i could train at night and weekends,but would have to come in during the day on a tues. for the iterview,testing,etc.i'm not taking a day off of a paying job to do a free one.i've never had to do that as a vol. firemen.

Top Bottom