Question about open carry in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    first off, I am CCW and know about the concealed carry aspect of Louisiana law, but I am wondering is there any open carry statutes in certain cities or parishes that exist as well? I'm not aware of any, but was curious because I saw a guy today who I know is NOT a police officer and he was open carrying in town. Just wodering if Opelousas, St Landry parish or the surrounding area allows open carry along with CC? Can both be legal in the same place?:confused:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Yeah man, state law that we are allowed to open carry. Haven't been one of the ones to get hassled by a LEO but I've heard random stories. Basically it's up to the store owner, and Walmart's policy is to respect the state law and allow open carrying. You'll get some funny looks here and there, just know your rights, and respect a law enforcement officer if he wants to talk to you about why you're carrying a firearm on your hip.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Be aware that it if someone sees it and calls to complain/report a MWAG, some departments will cite you with "disturbing the peace". I guess disturbing the complainer's peace or something. It happens around here once in a while.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Appreciate the info guys. One question though, why is it then that if you are concealed carry and your weapon flashes or prints and someone sees it you are in trouble for it when it seems to me that that scenario would just be the exact same as open carry? Im confused by this :confused:

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    For all intents and purposes, there is no such thing as printing. The idea that a random person is going to notice a mysterious bulge under your shirt, be able to tell that it's a gun, give a ****, and call the police, follow you around until the police show so they can point you out, and then be willing to press charges is absurd. I've never heard of an actual instance where this has happened in the manner that the average CCW'er is typically concerned about... so don't worry about printing... it's a non-issue. Wear appropriate clothing for your type of carry and go about your life.

As for accidental exposure (reaching for something high on a shelf and having your shirt lift up) and the ensuing drama if somebody notices and cares, those cases are extremely rare and are almost entirely "fixable" by appropriate actions by the carrier. The Erik Scott/Costco case notwithstanding is so far outside anything a person can prepare for, and since there was no video evidence, it's unlikely we'll ever know what really happened that day.

As for MWAG, dispatchers and police agencies are getting better every day at listening to whoever calls it in and asking the right kinds of questions to separate an actual ciminal event from some scared hoplophobe. The Erik Scott scenario is a hugely important training tool and is worth looking up if you don't know who he is. Also, thousands of people each day join the ranks of CCW/OC... cops do not want to roll hot on to a MWAG call when it's just some new CCW'er who didn't wear a long enough shirt. It's getting better all time. By no means let your guard down... just don't lose sleep over printing or accidental exposure.

What it used to be:
    "911, what is your emergency?"
    "There's a man with a gun walking around costco"
    "OK, ma'am, stay calm, what does he look like"
    "He's wearing a red shirt and blue-jeans."
    "OK, police are on their way."

What is's becoming:
    "911, what is your emergency."
    "There's a man with a gun walking around costco."
    "What exactly is he doing."
    "Umm... uhhh... he's shopping."
    "Is he holding the gun in his hand."
    "No, I saw it in his pants when he grabbed some peanut butter."
    "Was it in a holster."
    "Uhh... yah, I think so."
    "What's he doing now."
    "He's talking with his wife about what soda to get."
    "OK ma'am, thanks for calling."

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Appreciate the info guys. One question though, why is it then that if you are concealed carry and your weapon flashes or prints and someone sees it you are in trouble for it when it seems to me that that scenario would just be the exact same as open carry? Im confused by this :confused:

It's quite simple if you will just remember these two points:

1. "If you are concealed carry and your weapon flashes or prints and someone sees it you are NOT in trouble for it."

2. Open carry is a dumb idea.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I was in line at a convenience store one afternoon when I noticed a guy in front of me had a Glock pistol shoved in his front pocket.. It was loose in his front pocket without a holster. I put a little distance between us, nothing happened, not sure what he was up to, however if he was a CCW permit holder (and I doubt he was) he definitely broke the "rule of concealed carry" (in my opinion) and was bordering on the line of disturbing the peace.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Derrider, LA

Walmart - H&B Section

Springfield XD Service

3ks8eqaxi94jyg2flj9.jpg

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans

No such thing. Whoever told you that is either ignorant or lying.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    What rule is that?

Well, I'm starting to think more of an unspoken rule, maybe? Or maybe a rule that never existed at all, just an interpretation of the law..

When I took the CCW course, it was said by the instructor that if you are carrying concealed, it has to be kept concealed at all times..

The guy I'm speaking of was carrying in a way that was a little concerning to me... While I sometimes pocket carry a small pistol, it is in a pocket holster. This guy was carrying a full size Glock in the front pocket of his very loose fitting shorts..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    When I took the CCW course, it was said by the instructor that if you are carrying concealed, it has to be kept concealed at all times.

For what it's worth, From above link:
    Do I give up my right to open carry if I get a concealed handgun permit?
    NO! This is misinformation that has spread around the State for some time now. Supposedly, certain individuals working for the State Police at one time were informing concealed handgun instructors to inform those who applied for a permit that, if approved, they would no longer be allowed to open carry. There is no basis for this in law.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I don't see why it's a bad idea or 'stupid' as fore mentioned. It's your right! It may take away an element of surprise if the SHTF scenario panned out in line at a grocery store, but I know that thug walking in to rob the place will reconsider quickly. Why if you aren't issued a CCW permit is it wrong to carry in a professional manner in accordance with the law stupid? I've never understood it. Hadji never had an issue with me open carrying? :)

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I don't mind open cary... I think as most gun owners do I'm sure, if you can legally own one, you should be able to carry it in the open or concealed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom